The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 9, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #22,741 of 23,600
Hello @twister6 , are you going to review the Volur?
Honestly, I really look forward for your thoughts and impression :smile:

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #22,742 of 23,600
I have the option of getting the Volur but I’m primarily concerned about the air in the treble in genres such as house, edm and drum and bass where snares and hi hats already sound fairly prominent. I’m wondering if it’s tolerable or if I’ll struggle. The other option is u18s where I think treble is smoother but bass might be inadequate for those genres of music. It’s a hard decision and a lot of money.

I have a collection of EDM - mostly breakbeats and DNB from the mid 90's till early 2000's. I put some on today, a lot are my own records that I ripped to MP3. I had no issue with the treble on them. 48 year old ears here.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #22,743 of 23,600
Hello @twister6 , are you going to review the Volur?
Honestly, I really look forward for your thoughts and impression :smile:

While I have reviewed countless 64audio iems in the past, not sure if they are very keen for me to review this one or any of their iems anymore :D

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #22,745 of 23,600
While I have reviewed countless 64audio iems in the past, not sure if they are very keen for me to review this one or any of their iems anymore :D

Why not? I read a few of your reviews on 64audio and they were nice.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #22,746 of 23,600
Using the Azla standard tips, better than the crystal for comfort. Just a slight bass tuner boost in wavelet on 110hz and below. M15 module on the Volür.

Listening to the remastered postal service and it's sublime.
The wife and I are going to the Death Cab/Postal Service concert in Berkeley tomorrow night! Very excited about this show - They’re going to play Transatlanticism and Give Up to celebrate two decades.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #22,747 of 23,600
IMG_6953.jpeg
at last i tried volur in local dealer store, boy they are gorgeous.. looks almost ethereal

i just love how amazing the bass is, simply the best bass from 64, reach deep low rumbly but incredibly clean

the treble is so airy, can be a bit artificial sounding on some tracks due to a lot of pushed air but personally i love it

coming from u4s, the volur is just way cleaner in bass with better bass detail, lusher but more detailed vocal and airier treble

but… i can’t help but feels something is lacking for my playlist.. for some of my japanese musics somehow i miss some of the upper vocal fierceness that i still get in u4s, volur feels a bit too smooth

i didn’t bring my measurement rig so i tried super*review’s measurement and it confirms what i hear regarding this
IMG_6990.jpeg

looks like u4s indeed has more forward low treble to mid treble area

so yes volur is definitely better overall but i just prefer u4s tonal

maybe if volur keeps the same low to mid treble area as u4s i’ll surely save money for it haha

It's nice to see a comparison of the U4s and the new Volür (even though they're in very different price points).
I recently got the U4s (my first 64 Audio IEM) and loving it, and then the Volür was released and the upgradeitis kicked in :sweat_smile:

Seems like there's some trade-offs between the U4s and Volür, and may not be a direct "upgrade". I'm worried about those peaks in the upper treble making some modern (not so well recorded/mastered) music sound too bright.

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #22,748 of 23,600
It's nice to see a comparison of the U4s and the new Volür (even though they're in very different price points).
I recently got the U4s (my first 64 Audio IEM) and loving it, and then the Volür was released and the upgradeitis kicked in :sweat_smile:

Seems like there's some trade-offs between the U4s and Volür, and may not be a direct "upgrade". I'm worried about those peaks in the upper treble making some modern (not so well recorded/mastered) music sound too bright.
Peaks above 12kHz don’t contribute towards brightness at all. All they add is air. Brightness lies between 5-10kHz. The Volur doesn’t sound brighter than the U4S IIRC. It just sounds higher-res and more defined, with less bass bloom entering the image.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #22,749 of 23,600
The Volur doesn’t sound brighter than the U4S IIRC. It just sounds higher-res and more defined, with less bass bloom entering the image.
I am in complete agreement with this. I have the U4s and the Volur; A/B'ing between them is basically just a cleaner, more refined sound in the bass and highs. I'm delighted with it. I will still use the U4s when I'm out-and-about, though.

The U12t on the other hand.... I'm struggling to listen to that now since getting the Volur, it's just no where near as fun. Let's see what happens over the next few months when I get more used to the Volur... maybe I'll find a time-and-a-place for U12t still.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #22,751 of 23,600
Peaks above 12kHz don’t contribute towards brightness at all. All they add is air. Brightness lies between 5-10kHz. The Volur doesn’t sound brighter than the U4S IIRC. It just sounds higher-res and more defined, with less bass bloom entering the image.
I agree however I think it’s the air frequencies that give the treble its particular character and adds a level of zinginess - I have no better adjective. It’s the air frequencies which are essentially upper harmonics for the treble that draw your attention. I consider my LCD4 to be a bright headphone because of those crazy upper treble peaks but most would describe it as not bright. My LCD4 just sounds like it has a massive high shelf at 16khz and beyond.

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #22,752 of 23,600
Will @Precogvision review the Volür? Since he loves 64 Audio, waiting for this one😅

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #22,753 of 23,600
I agree however I think it’s the air frequencies that give the treble its particular character and adds a level of zinginess - I have no better adjective. It’s the air frequencies which are essentially upper harmonics for the treble that draw your attention. I consider my LCD4 to be a bright headphone because of those crazy upper treble peaks but most would describe it as not bright. My LCD4 just sounds like it has a massive high shelf at 16khz and beyond.
Even if one’s more sensitive to upper-treble air, I don’t think the Volur has enough to cause any issues, to be honest. It isn’t as zingy or hi-fi sharp as the U18t or Trio, for example. If EQ is a necessity, reductive EQ is always much easier on the IEM than additive, so you should have no problems there.

Oct 10, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #22,754 of 23,600
Not sure how accurate this is but I did test on a 16khz frequency yesterday and my 48 year old ears could hear it fine.

I don't find the Volur treble to have any unpleasant zing to it though.

I am in complete agreement with this. I have the U4s and the Volur; A/B'ing between them is basically just a cleaner, more refined sound in the bass and highs. I'm delighted with it. I will still use the U4s when I'm out-and-about, though.

The U12t on the other hand.... I'm struggling to listen to that now since getting the Volur, it's just no where near as fun. Let's see what happens over the next few months when I get more used to the Volur... maybe I'll find a time-and-a-place for U12t still.

What about the mids? The more detail and separation in the mids is a big upgrade for the Volur from 64s to me, especially vocals.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #22,755 of 23,600
Boosted trebles around 14-15k will appear earlier as a characteristic zing at the end of some higher pitched notes. This is the case with the u12t.
People who dont have a problem with it are either non sensitive to it or just cant hear it.
This is very often described as extra "detail" or "air" but its not a detail, its an artificial sharpness, like applying some sharpen effect to a photo. Its not natural, its just an added effect for making an iem "more exciting"- whatever that means.
Seems like the Volur has it too and some reviewers mentioned this. Some say its even more pronounced than on the u12t, dunno.
Im very sensitive to an unnatural treble response and i can clearly hear it with most 64 Audio iems ive tried. Its not a big deal with the u12t tho and its almost non existant with a more traditional music, like jazz, rock etc. Its more apparent with k-pop, some pop, and some worse quality recordings of electronic music.
But its there and there is no way around it unless you remove the Tia driver :stuck_out_tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back