The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #22,546 of 23,563
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #22,547 of 23,563
So the Volur looks basically like a Nio with an extra 9mm DD.
It also looks like a u12 but with two DD instead of 4ba for the bass, and that's what most people are hoping for il I'm sure.

But that price is just a bit steep.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #22,548 of 23,563
It also looks like a u12 but with two DD instead of 4ba for the bass, and that's what most people are hoping for il I'm sure.

But that price is just a bit steep.
they refer back to the Nio quite a bit in the marketing materials which makes it sound as though the tuning is more in line with that than the U12t.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #22,549 of 23,563
Just received the M12 apex module for my A12t, I think it's a really good pairing.
The bass does get toned down a bit compared to M15, however it doesn't bother me much since I think M15 still has too much bass boost. (M20/M15 is fun at first when all the bass region is emphasized but for me it gets tiring quick)
I'm getting a cleaner and less bloated bass, and it seems with that, the veil is lifted for the mid range (never noticed there's a veil before, now I notice it)
The overall staging become more 3D, with better depth and height, whereas M15 sounds more wall of sound like.
Overall the M12 is more resolving with IMO the perfect tonal balance.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #22,550 of 23,563
Just received the M12 apex module for my A12t, I think it's a really good pairing.
The bass does get toned down a bit compared to M15, however it doesn't bother me much since I think M15 still has too much bass boost. (M20/M15 is fun at first when all the bass region is emphasized but for me it gets tiring quick)
I'm getting a cleaner and less bloated bass, and it seems with that, the veil is lifted for the mid range (never noticed there's a veil before, now I notice it)
The overall staging become more 3D, with better depth and height, whereas M15 sounds more wall of sound like.
Overall the M12 is more resolving with IMO the perfect tonal balance.
I agree 100% with this (and said much better than I could articulate myself). I have the M12 module permanently in my U12t for the exact same reasons.

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #22,551 of 23,563
they refer back to the Nio quite a bit in the marketing materials which makes it sound as though the tuning is more in line with that than the U12t.
That's my take as well. Overlaying the Volur FR that's floating around over u12t w/M15 and Nio w/M15 and I'd say Volur tuning is more in the vein of Nio than u12t. Unsure which module was being used when Volur was graphed here but assuming M15 or M12. I can't normalize the Volur graph as it's a screen grab but I have Nio & u12t FRs normalized at 800 hz, which looks close.

Red = Nio, Green = u12t, Blue = Volur.

1695821671665.png

I'm guessing (and hoping) that Volur maintains the visceral punch and oomph of Nio's low end with more texture and better definition (read: less wooly) with a bit more air and extension up top from the open Tia driver. The FR shows less presence up top on Volur than Nio but we'll have to wait and see how it actually sounds. With slightly leaner midbass -> lower mids transition we may have a more balanced presentation with Volur than Nio.

Take this all with a massive grain of salt as it's purely speculation until we get squigs of Volur with the 4 modules and have a chance to actually read user impression and hear them.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #22,554 of 23,563
is the empire ears legend evo better than the 64 audio u4s?
Given the price differential at rrp, I’d say so… but “better” is highly subjective

EDIT - given my experience with the U12t (owned) and EVO (owned), EVO is better on most technical aspects than the U12t outside of imaging (imo) so given that the u12t is said to be superior to u4s then I’d say so.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #22,555 of 23,563
That's my take as well. Overlaying the Volur FR that's floating around over u12t w/M15 and Nio w/M15 and I'd say Volur tuning is more in the vein of Nio than u12t. Unsure which module was being used when Volur was graphed here but assuming M15 or M12. I can't normalize the Volur graph as it's a screen grab but I have Nio & u12t FRs normalized at 800 hz, which looks close.

Red = Nio, Green = u12t, Blue = Volur.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that Volur maintains the visceral punch and oomph of Nio's low end with more texture and better definition (read: less wooly) with a bit more air and extension up top from the open Tia driver. The FR shows less presence up top on Volur than Nio but we'll have to wait and see how it actually sounds. With slightly leaner midbass -> lower mids transition we may have a more balanced presentation with Volur than Nio.

Take this all with a massive grain of salt as it's purely speculation until we get squigs of Volur with the 4 modules and have a chance to actually read user impression and hear them.
The default single measurement floating around was done using the m15 module. Here are two screenshots, one with Volur m15 and the U12t, and the other with just Volur and all the modules.

Attachments

• Volur_U12t.png
    Volur_U12t.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Volur_xXm12m15m20.png
    Volur_xXm12m15m20.png
    426.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #22,557 of 23,563
Any other iems under $1500 used like the u12t as good as u12t??
I don't know if used is a requirement, but if you're also looking at new IEMs, Symphonium Crimson is $1500 new and is better than U12t in my opinion. They're close at the very least.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #22,560 of 23,563
Any other iems under $1500 used like the u12t as good as u12t??
If you're looking to save a few dollars vs U12t, then U6t is not a bad compromise at all. You sacrifice some technical performance, notably detail retrieval is not quite as good, but you get a warmer midbass tuning that makes for a more easy-going, relaxing listen.

Going in another direction could be the excellent Elysian Diva23 that can be had for around $1500 new. Again, it's not quite the technical performer as the 12t, but it's more exaggerated U-shape delivers fun bouncy sub-bass and excellent upper mids that work great especially if you listen to a lot of female vocals.

OR, if what you really want is what the 12t does, then just save a few more bucks and go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back