The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 24, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #16,936 of 23,560
You still haven't heard Susvara and Abyss though.. :)
You got me there. No question there are better headphones out there than what I've heard. I still take points off for having to sit at a desk attached to shoebox-sized components and spaghetti cables everywhere. Those days are done for me. Though for pure SQ, no question.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #16,937 of 23,560
You got me there. No question there are better headphones out there than what I've heard. I still take points off for having to sit at a desk attached to shoebox-sized components and spaghetti cables everywhere. Those days are done for me. Though for pure SQ, no question.
I can soooo identify with this. I started my audio journey as a pre-teen fascinated by the listening room and all the gadgets and tubes my uncle had; had my own 2-channel speaker rig as a 15 y.o. while my peers were saving money for used cars and such.

Fast forward to about 6-7 years ago, I found myself in portable land, with all it's trade-offs (so many more even that recently, to be clear), such that I spent very little time in summit-fi portable land. Simply, my thought was I was spending way too much in return for so many compromises sound quality-wise (I can pick apart any system once my critical assessment side of days long ago at my uncle's feet kicks back in). I also "left" the hobby for 5+ years until coming back a year ago. In the interim, I accepted I am more or less mid-fi, as I just cannot get myself to spend at summit-fi levels any more. I have so many more interests now than I did even 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #16,938 of 23,560
Portability is such a valuable quality. Being tethered or confined to enjoy music kind of kills some of the appeal for me. Does it sound life changing? I'm sure. Personally, being able to vibe to sound signatures that invigorate me while mobile is where it's at. The most I will ever do is a 1266 TC on a formidable DAC and Amp in a nook to chill out there when I can.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #16,939 of 23,560
The most I will ever do is a 1266 TC on a formidable DAC and Amp in a nook to chill out there when I can.
Haha... That's pretty much the most you can do... :)

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #16,941 of 23,560
That's my way of saving $100k $90k lmao
Fixed that for you :wink:

I'm with all of you here, iems fit my use case. I love my Utopia, have listened to it on some very special tube amps, had an RME ADI2 for a while, loved them all, but all lost out to the fact that I didn't want to be tied to my bedside table or my office desk at all times.

Utopia sounds great off my SE200, but I'm learning more and more that, for me, IEMs are the better option for price/performance/use case.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #16,942 of 23,560
Our living room system sounds great, but it is almost exclusively used with movies. Portable is best for me. If I were single, it would be a different story.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #16,943 of 23,560
Our living room system sounds great, but it is almost exclusively used with movies. Portable is best for me. If I were single, it would be a different story.
Same here. My 2-channel became mainly for TV and movies and my IEMs became my personal “world”. I’m starting to miss my full size headphones again. So I will mix the IEMs with a couple full sizes and rest the wallet for a bit.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #16,944 of 23,560
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Trio get such a severe roasting before. 😢

Unfortunately it wasnt of hes taste so he didnt really like it. I loved Trio a lot but still came back to the fourte as it is the true all arounder, it does everything better then Trio. Trio is the superb fun iem and its true as I am mostly listening to EDM it was a reall treat to listen to edm via Trio and wm1z!

I agree. I disagree with the reviewer’s comments about Tia Trio.
same as top answer

I was listening to one of the most remarkable stereo systems I've ever heard today at a friend who doesn't dabble with cheap stuff like $6K IEMs. So however much I harp on about soundstage and IEMs, and however much we ridicule the price of our 'summit-fi' toys, let's not forget that we're actually standing on mere hills compared to the mountains it takes (in cost and size and everything else) to actually put you inside a private performance by the the band. Perspective is everything.

20210424_191003_HDR.jpg

Listening to Roger Waters' Perfect Sense Pt.1 in that room was one of the most surreal experiences I've had in audio. Lying in bed now, listening to the same DSD on the Fourte, however impressive, is a planet away from that experience.

PS. Don't ask me what all the different components are, but let's just say you won't get much change from $100K.

AAAAAA you are comparing two very different world my friend, this is not something we can stack under the same hood. For an instance while you found the speaker exceptional, there is also a lot of problems that can occur lol. Resonance, echoes, direction of sound and yada yada. Yepers its is very expensive I guess you need to be a diamond mine dealer or a ceo to have that spare money to spend on such gear... I think its simply a different experience at end and we go for the one we can use and afford to enjoy the music. One thing for sure none of any ways we do to listen is ever represented as the artist meant it to be hahaha. There is always tweaks and changes some where we simply enjoy the music as it is!

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #16,945 of 23,560
Same here. Then again I spend far more time watching TV series and movies than I do listening to music. When that changes, so will the setup.
AAAAAA you are comparing two very different world my friend, this is not something we can stack under the same hood. For an instance while you found the speaker exceptional, there is also a lot of problems that can occur lol. Resonance, echoes, direction of sound and yada yada. Yepers its is very expensive I guess you need to be a diamond mine dealer or a ceo to have that spare money to spend on such gear... I think its simply a different experience at end and we go for the one we can use and afford to enjoy the music. One thing for sure none of any ways we do to listen is ever represented as the artist meant it to be hahaha. There is always tweaks and changes some where we simply enjoy the music as it is!
Oh I completely agree. Comparing speakers to IEMs is like comparing supercars to 18 wheelers. Each have their place and use case. I have no illusions about the limitations of high-end IEMs or the limitations of a high-end speaker system. At this stage in life I can live with the former but not the latter, cost and privacy being the two showstoppers when it comes to speakers for me. I am very lucky indeed to be able to afford the level of fidelity I enjoy with Fourte and other IEMs, and am thankful every day for getting to enjoy my music - and discover new music - as a result.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #16,946 of 23,560
Would someone have a Premium silver cable with 4.4mm that he'd want to sale? Or trade for a 3.5mm?

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #16,948 of 23,560
Have you looked at the Dunu Blanche. It's $330 and has modular connectors for 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4.4mm. Works well on my u12t.

No I have not as I wanted to have the premium silver as a pure reference sound. It is how 64a intend their iems to sound and it follows their signature.

I bought the premium silver but in 3.5mm and realized I should of went for 4.4mm instead 😢

I also want to use the Effect Audio aka balanced adapter...

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #16,949 of 23,560
No I have not as I wanted to have the premium silver as a pure reference sound. It is how 64a intend their iems to sound and it follows their signature.

I bought the premium silver but in 3.5mm and realized I should of went for 4.4mm instead 😢

I also want to use the Effect Audio aka balanced adapter...
I thought you liked the SQ on the 3.5 port better than the 2.5 on your SP2K?

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #16,950 of 23,560
I thought you liked the SQ on the 3.5 port better than the 2.5 on your SP2K?
Yes, was thinking that too. Something about it being the “most purest of the magical sound extreme amazingness”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back