The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #16,921 of 23,560
I think you have to take the review in context, and also based on the reviewer's preferences. He did say all the IEMs are super high end, but his opinions would vary by preference. I love the Trio, but on balance I agree with everything he says. If all I listened to was EDM and electronic music I'd probably rate Trio higher myself, but compared to Fourte and U12t, it's definitely more limited across a wider range of genres, and the treble zing doesn't quite jive with me. I'm always puzzled when I hear Trio being flagged as a 'better' Fourte or Noir, and this is one of the only reviews that calls it out, which I personally agree with and appreciate. As always, YMMV...
I think Crin also says Trio is a better Fourte. But I agree those two are q hit or miss on the taste.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #16,922 of 23,560
I think Crin also says Trio is a better Fourte. But I agree those two are q hit or miss on the taste.
Ya that's the first place I read it and must humbly disagree with Crin on that one. But ya, those two are quite polarising. You either love them or...not.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #16,923 of 23,560
Ya that's the first place I read it and must humbly disagree with Crin on that one. But ya, those two are quite polarising. You either love them or...not.
After listening to the Fourte Noir, I can hear the space that’s often synonymous with anything Fourte. Odin does the same thing but does so with putting the vocals closer. Pretty cool contrast being that both achieve the same sound stage but go about it differently.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #16,924 of 23,560
After listening to the Fourte Noir, I can hear the space that’s often synonymous with anything Fourte. Odin does the same thing but does so with putting the vocals closer. Pretty cool contrast being that both achieve the same sound stage but go about it differently.
And the OG Fourte is even wider by comparison, which is why it's the most impressive IEM I've heard to date. The OG is also more resolving than the Noir.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #16,926 of 23,560
Yes I shouldn’t have said same soundstage as the Odin is more vast. I mean the same trick to create a bigger than typical head space.
Yes, that's the Fourtes' strength - that ability to create a vast space for the music to live in, but also place the music so precisely and creatively in that space. I haven't heard Odin but it'll be interesting to hear how it manages to achieve the space while bringing vocals forward. I'm imagining in my mind that would result in more depth than width. Either way, I think space and stage are essential for creating a realistic and enjoyable listening experience (for me) with IEMs, and that's what the Fourtes and LX (and presumably Odin) do so well. I personally don't gel with any IEM that presents a so-called 'intimate' stage. Generally speaking 64 Audio IEMs nail this aspect, as do all the EE IEMs I've heard.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #16,927 of 23,560
Honestly, I’d rather we didn’t see all this crazy expensive stuff haha. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in this hobby, it’s that while there’s certainly a correlation between price and sound quality, it doesn’t mean much past a certain point. I haven’t really jived with any of the big kilobuck monsters I’ve heard ($3000+) so far. The reason why prices are as high as they are is because people keep buying this stuff (which is their prerogative, of course).

Regarding the new releases in the pipeline, the seemingly open back one with the grill definitely has my attention. If we could get something like an LCDi4 without the need for DSP that would be incredible. And I won’t say no to a new TWS, especially because that’s where all the hype seems to be nowadays. If 64 Audio can push past the “plateau” in technicalities that every TWS I’ve heard seems to have, then that would really be something.

These new 5k-6k releases do seem to push into insanity territory on paper -- but then they always come with a 2200 custom cable made by pw or Eletech or some such. Meaning the IEM in there is still 3k to 4k. So I'm not that bothered. It took a 1800 USD Eletech flagship cable to finally take my u18t to "perfection" for me (total price: 3000+1800=4800). And I went through 3 quite expensive cables to get there, so it's actually way more. To me, these new 6k releases confirm that cables are incredibly important for an IEMs sound. And when it comes to absolute TOTL, it's better the manufacturers provide a perfect-match cable to go with -- so you don't end up spending more on cable rolling.

Take this with a pinch of salt, however. I've sold my soul and body to Satan's Capital until the End of the World and can, thus, afford this new trend. When it comes to affordability, I'm part of the problem not the solution. I'd send myself to Siberia for correctional labour, but sadly I don't have the time -- I have too much "grinding" to do to be able to afford all this lunacy :D

Anyway -- do you have a link to the pic with the open back 64 audio IEM? I've searched the web and can't find it, and would very much like to be teased...

Also, what is TWS?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #16,928 of 23,560
These new 5k-6k releases do seem to push into insanity territory on paper -- but then they always come with a 2200 custom cable made by pw or Eletech or some such. Meaning the IEM in there is still 3k to 4k. So I'm not that bothered. It took a 1800 USD Eletech flagship cable to finally take my u18t to "perfection" for me (total price: 3000+1800=4800). And I went through 3 quite expensive cables to get there, so it's actually way more. To me, these new 6k releases confirm that cables are incredibly important for an IEMs sound. And when it comes to absolute TOTL, it's better the manufacturers provide a perfect-match cable to go with -- so you don't end up spending more on cable rolling.

Take this with a pinch of salt, however. I've sold my soul and body to Satan's Capital until the End of the World and can, thus, afford this new trend. When it comes to affordability, I'm part of the problem not the solution. I'd send myself to Siberia for correctional labour, but sadly I don't have the time -- I have too much "grinding" to do to be able to afford all this lunacy :D

Anyway -- do you have a link to the pic with the open back 64 audio IEM? I've searched the web and can't find it, and would very much like to be teased...

Also, what is TWS?
I'm training to become a psychotherapist. Once I qualify, we should talk.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #16,929 of 23,560
I'm not that good at discerning and describing differences in soundstage. I can relate to the 'vocals closer' bit. With the Odin, it's like the vocals are at the very center of your brain, as if you're singing yourself :). Uncanny experience..

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #16,930 of 23,560
I'm not that good at discerning and describing differences in soundstage. I can relate to the 'vocals closer' bit. With the Odin, it's like the vocals are at the very center of your brain, as if you're singing yourself :). Uncanny experience..
I was listening to one of the most remarkable stereo systems I've ever heard today at a friend who doesn't dabble with cheap stuff like $6K IEMs. So however much I harp on about soundstage and IEMs, and however much we ridicule the price of our 'summit-fi' toys, let's not forget that we're actually standing on mere hills compared to the mountains it takes (in cost and size and everything else) to actually put you inside a private performance by the the band. Perspective is everything.

20210424_191003_HDR.jpg

Listening to Roger Waters' Perfect Sense Pt.1 in that room was one of the most surreal experiences I've had in audio. Lying in bed now, listening to the same DSD on the Fourte, however impressive, is a planet away from that experience.

PS. Don't ask me what all the different components are, but let's just say you won't get much change from $100K.

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #16,931 of 23,560
I was listening to one of the most remarkable stereo systems I've ever heard today at a friend who doesn't dabble with cheap stuff like $6K IEMs. So however much I harp on about soundstage and IEMs, and however much we ridicule the price of our 'summit-fi' toys, let's not forget that we're actually standing on mere hills compared to the mountains it takes (in cost and size and everything else) to actually put you inside a private performance by the the band. Perspective is everything.

20210424_191003_HDR.jpg

Listening to Roger Waters' Perfect Sense Pt.1 in that room was one of the most surreal experiences I've had in audio. Lying in bed now, listening to the same DSD on the Fourte, however impressive, is a planet away from that experience.

PS. Don't ask me what all the different components are, but let's just say you won't get much change from $100K.
Those look like Harbeth speakers with a stack of McIntosh separates and some other things I can't identify. Listening in a chair on expensive equipment over loudspeakers is a different experience that requires an uninterrupted block of time. I have a Krell Evo 402 amp, Krell Evo 222 preamp, Tact room correction device, and a crazy Grand Prix carbon fiber equipment rack. To be honest, I haven't listened to this rig in a long time, because I don't really have long blocks of quiet time anymore. I had to walk over and read the model numbers. It's been that long.

I spend most of my time listening to my Focal Stellias over a Focal Arche with a Bluesound node 2i. I also have a 64audio u12t and A&K SE200 when I want something different sounding or am on the move.

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #16,932 of 23,560

Very nice. I'm making do with a pair of Devialet Phantom Golds.. :)

I always say, if done well, live concerts > speakers > headphones > IEMs. If they're each done well. If not, this order can be different... Just my humble opinion...:)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #16,934 of 23,560
Those look like Harbeth speakers with a stack of McIntosh separates and some other things I can't identify. Listening in a chair on expensive equipment over loudspeakers is a different experience that requires an uninterrupted block of time. I have a Krell Evo 402 amp, Krell Evo 222 preamp, Tact room correction device, and a crazy Grand Prix carbon fiber equipment rack. To be honest, I haven't listened to this rig in a long time, because I don't really have long blocks of quiet time anymore. I had to walk over and read the model numbers. It's been that long.

I spend most of my time listening to my Focal Stellias over a Focal Arche with a Bluesound node 2i. I also have a 64audio u12t and A&K SE200 when I want something different sounding or am on the move.
Completely agree. I don't have any time (or privacy) to make the most of a system even half the size of this one. That realisation - plus the cost of actually putting it all together - is what set me off on this head-fi journey, culminating in going 100% portable because that's the only way I get to enjoy my music where and when I want to at the highest possible quality. As such speakers would be totally wasted for me, as are headphones that tether me to one place. IEMs have literally liberated how often I listen to music, and how much more I enjoy the actual music as a result.
Very nice. I'm making do with a pair of Devialet Phantom Golds.. :)

I always say, if done well, live concerts > speakers > headphones > IEMs. If they're each done well. If not, this order can be different... Just my humble opinion...:)
For me, speakers > IEMs > headphones, but all three are actually hard to realistically compare to each other, being such different experiences. Aside from the speakers I also got to listen to the HE1000, HD820 and Stax SR009 off the dCS Bartok and some fancy Woo energiser, and to be honest, I don't think I give up anything with the Fourte and LX off the R8. If anything the IEMs are slightly more resolving.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #16,935 of 23,560
Completely agree. I don't have any time (or privacy) to make the most of a system even half the size of this one. That realisation - plus the cost of actually putting it all together - is what set me off on this head-fi journey, culminating in going 100% portable because that's the only way I get to enjoy my music where and when I want to at the highest possible quality. As such speakers would be totally wasted for me, as are headphones that tether me to one place. IEMs have literally liberated how often I listen to music, and how much more I enjoy the actual music as a result.

For me, speakers > IEMs > headphones, but all three are actually hard to realistically compare to each other, being such different experiences. Aside from the speakers I also got to listen to the HE1000, HD820 and Stax SR009 off the dCS Bartok and some fancy Woo energiser, and to be honest, I don't think I give up anything with the Fourte and LX off the R8. If anything the IEMs are slightly more resolving.
You still haven't heard Susvara and Abyss though.. :)

But yes, I've come around considerably on IEMs, to the point that they've surpassed my closed backs ... and are approaching some of my open backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back