The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 10, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #14,956 of 23,651
I just re-read the post I replied to. Sorry about my first reaction. Actually, the post is more bonkers than I originally thought. If you're not talking about in-phase / out-of phase, but rather whether, say both +s are forward or both +s are rear-ward, then that's even nuttier.

Yes, the posts were not talking about flipping the polarity of only one side (left ear vs right ear), but about flipping both left and right at the same time.

The effect is very subtle, and the whole chain of DAC, Amp, Speaker all need to be really high quality and transparent in order to hear the difference.
I never notice it until I had Schiit Yggy DAC, and class-D amp to drive speakers.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #14,957 of 23,651
The U18s pictures that we've seen online are all demo units that are not for resale. We've been reaching out to the current and former dealers who have sold these off to try to resolve this issue and future similar issues. Just as a forewarning to folks interested in buying demo units online, they are not serviceable in any way if you are not the dealer in possession of the demo unit for demo purposes. If you're not a dealer and the unit breaks or has a manufacturing defect that causes a fault, we will not be able to service that unit.

“not be able to” = won’t.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #14,960 of 23,651
I mean, just how companies can dance around the rules, so can customers :) I'd just buddy buddy with the dealer and fix it through them if ever needed

Yeah, but from the other side, if a dealer is getting rid of their in-store uni demo it could mean they might stop selling that particular model or carry that particular brand. Why else would a store get rid of universal demo they received as a tool to sell CIEM-only product?

But I do agree, wish A18s uni demo would be released as U18s. My ears just don't work with CIEMs, stupid left earcanal sharp bend. So I got uni A18s for review which is a blessing. Similar to N8 -> Nio, I hope 64 Audio would consider in a future A18s -> U18s. With a pandemic, lockdowns, and lack of CanJams and other audio shows not as many people get a chance to audition uni demo of A18s or to visit their local stores. And some don't want to make a blind CIEM commitment, while others are on a constant upgraditis mission and don't want to be stuck with CIEM. I think universal U18s will boost sales, and, personally, while I have most of 64 Audio iems, uni A18s and Nio are among my favorites at the current moment from their line up.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #14,961 of 23,651
The U18s pictures that we've seen online are all demo units that are not for resale. We've been reaching out to the current and former dealers who have sold these off to try to resolve this issue and future similar issues. Just as a forewarning to folks interested in buying demo units online, they are not serviceable in any way if you are not the dealer in possession of the demo unit for demo purposes. If you're not a dealer and the unit breaks or has a manufacturing defect that causes a fault, we will not be able to service that unit.

Some dealers (not all) will try to sell demo units and profit from them after some time.

I wonder if dealers get the demo units from 64 Audio for free? (units with ‘Demo’ imprint)?

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #14,962 of 23,651
The impedance of our cable is bellow .5ohms, the stock cable is is an un-balanced 2pin where the negative pins on both sides share the "Sleeve" pin of the 3.5mm TRS connector. The "Tip" pin of the TRS is the positive pin of the left IEM, and the "Ring" pin of the TRS is the positive pin on the right IEM.

Hello 64 Audio,

Thank you for your timely response!

If you have a technician on hand, would you mind measuring the exact impedance of the cable, so that I can match it with a suiting aftermarket cable
And to clarify, would it be correct to assume that the polarity is wired like any other 2pin cable (besides QDC's)?

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #14,963 of 23,651
Yeah, but from the other side, if a dealer is getting rid of their in-store uni demo it could mean they might stop selling that particular model or carry that particular brand. Why else would a store get rid of universal demo they received as a tool to sell CIEM-only product?

But I do agree, wish A18s uni demo would be released as U18s. My ears just don't work with CIEMs, stupid left earcanal sharp bend. So I got uni A18s for review which is a blessing. Similar to N8 -> Nio, I hope 64 Audio would consider in a future A18s -> U18s. With a pandemic, lockdowns, and lack of CanJams and other audio shows not as many people get a chance to audition uni demo of A18s or to visit their local stores. And some don't want to make a blind CIEM commitment, while others are on a constant upgraditis mission and don't want to be stuck with CIEM. I think universal U18s will boost sales, and, personally, while I have most of 64 Audio iems, uni A18s and Nio are among my favorites at the current moment from their line up.
Wait, so you are saying that in your case customs don't work BECAUSE of the sharp bend in the ear, but universals do fit? For me it's the opposite, and in the right ear. Just no point in me trying universals as they don't fit.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #14,964 of 23,651
Wait, so you are saying that in your case customs don't work BECAUSE of the sharp bend in the ear, but universals do fit? For me it's the opposite, and in the right ear. Just no point in me trying universals as they don't fit.
I also have a sharp bend in the right ear, and a narrow ear canal. I have not explored the CIEM route yet - I understand from these comments that this may not be a viable route for me. The way I have 'solved' it for now with the Nio is to use the largest xelastic tip, creating a seal without actually inserting the tip inside the ear canal (because it's too narrow for even the smallest tip).

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #14,965 of 23,651

Well, my left ear has a sharp earcanal bend, in addition to both ears having a wide earcanal opening and the reason why I only use large/x-large tips, so CIEM has to be trimmed to the point where it looks like universal nozzle. And right one is trimmed to match it. I mean, I can literally take both ciems in/out of my ears without too much corkscrew twist :D You can make them work, not sure if a very short nozzle has effect on tuning, so it makes no sense, and also defeats the purpose of custom design with deep nozzle insertion. Thus, universal and the biggest eartips all the way for me! Recently got Ety ER4XR, and they are sticking out like Frankenstein bolts out of my ears lol! But enough of this freak show :p

And let's hope A18s will become U18s reality one day!

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #14,966 of 23,651
Well, my left ear has a sharp earcanal bend, in addition to both ears having a wide earcanal opening and the reason why I only use large/x-large tips, so CIEM has to be trimmed to the point where it looks like universal nozzle. And right one is trimmed to match it. I mean, I can literally take both ciems in/out of my ears without too much corkscrew twist :D You can make them work, not sure if a very short nozzle has effect on tuning, so it makes no sense, and also defeats the purpose of custom design with deep nozzle insertion. Thus, universal and the biggest eartips all the way for me! Recently got Ety ER4XR, and they are sticking out like Frankenstein bolts out of my ears lol! But enough of this freak show :p

And let's hope A18s will become U18s reality one day!
Mine is a combination of narrow and twisty right at the start. Left is pretty much normal.

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #14,967 of 23,651
Just as a forewarning to folks interested in buying demo units online, they are not serviceable in any way if you are not the dealer in possession of the demo unit for demo purposes. If you're not a dealer and the unit breaks or has a manufacturing defect that causes a fault, we will not be able to service that unit.
Hey Vitaliy, love your brand, and loved my Nio and U12T's, but I fear that's not a great look for a premium brand.

You should service any product of yours that is in circulation on market, and there should be no exception to that. Obviously there would be service charges, but the discrimination of the classification of products isn't cool. I have a buddy who had 1964 Ears customs from your humble beginnings, and he praised the service you used to offer - I don't see why service should worsen as the product prices have more than tripled in 8 years.

At the premium prices we pay for gear in this hobby, customer should always have the manufacturer's support.

As someone who had a couple issues from 64 Audio customer support after selling a premium silver cable to @Vitaly2017 (your biggest endorser), I have to speak up and say that I wish you treated your customer's a bit nicer.

Hopefully my comments get some consideration :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 11, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #14,968 of 23,651
Yes, the posts were not talking about flipping the polarity of only one side (left ear vs right ear), but about flipping both left and right at the same time.

The effect is very subtle, and the whole chain of DAC, Amp, Speaker all need to be really high quality and transparent in order to hear the difference.
I never notice it until I had Schiit Yggy DAC, and class-D amp to drive speakers.

You should be able to easily replicate the effect by recording a passage of your choosing in, say, Audacity, then exporting to Demo1.wav, then inverting the waveform and exporting that to Demo2.wav.

If you can repeatedly distinguish between those 2 (if some else hits play), then you must indeed have a magic sound system and golden ears.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #14,969 of 23,651
Hey Vitaliy, love your brand, and loved my Nio and U12T's, but I fear that's not a great look for a premium brand.

You should service any product of yours that is in circulation on market, and there should be no exception to that. Obviously there would be service charges, but the discrimination of the classification of products isn't cool. I have a buddy who had 1964 Ears customs from your humble beginnings, and he praised the service you used to offer - I don't see why service should worsen as the product prices have more than tripled in 8 years.

At the premium prices we pay for gear in this hobby, customer should always have the manufacturer's support.

As someone who had a couple issues from 64 Audio customer support after selling a premium silver cable to @Vitaly2017 (your biggest endorser), I have to speak up and say that I wish you treated your customer's a bit nicer.

Hopefully my comments get some consideration :)

This is the kind of sticky situation that I think that marked demo units issued by @64Audio is problematic. These marked demo units are issued by 64 Audio to dealers for demo purpose and not for sales. I suspect dealers are getting the demo units either for free or at a very low price, and I’ve asked the same question earlier. Due to this, there will always be some who will take the advantage to profit from the demo units by selling them to unexpecting (or otherwise) customers. The customers will then have problem later with after-sales service or support as 64 Audio will not entertain. I believe 64 Audio’s refusal to service/support those who bought them is to discourage dealers from selling these marked demo units but it still and have happened many times, and the buyers get into trouble. IMO these marked demo units is bad for both 64 Audio as well as those customers who bought them.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #14,970 of 23,651

This is the kind of sticky situation that I think that marked demo units issued by @64Audio is problematic. These marked demo units are issued by 64 Audio to dealers for demo purpose and not for sales. I suspect dealers are getting the demo units either for free or at a very low price, and I’ve asked the same question earlier. Due to this, there will always be some who will take the advantage to profit from the demo units by selling them to unexpecting (or otherwise) customers. The customers will then have problem later with after-sales service or support as 64 Audio will not entertain. I believe 64 Audio’s refusal to service/support those who bought them is to discourage dealers from selling these marked demo units but it still and have happened many times, and the buyers get into trouble. IMO these marked demo units is bad for both 64 Audio as well as those customers who bought them.
Thanks for your input,

The person who ends up with demo units absolutely deserves service, as as you say, they are often unsuspecting.

The dealer associated to the S.N is the party who should get the slap on the wrist, as they are the source of this grey market item being in circulation (if it ends up in circulation)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back