The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #10,741 of 23,600
I'm not surprised if some mistook U12t bass as DD, they are tuned very well that misconceptions btw DD and BA for bass can be bias.
Based on Headfonia's review, i might very well prefer and stick with my U12t instead of the Nio. Surprised U12t sub-bass digs deeper than the Nio. That would mean Nio is quite significantly different than N8's tuning.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #10,742 of 23,600
I'm not surprised if some mistook U12t bass as DD, they are tuned very well that misconceptions btw DD and BA for bass can be bias.
Based on Headfonia's review, i might very well prefer and stick with my U12t instead of the Nio. Surprised U12t sub-bass digs deeper than the Nio. That would mean Nio is quite significantly different than N8's tuning.
Sounds like it is just tilted more towards mid-bass, which is fine with me. My trio does sub-bass perfectly.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #10,743 of 23,600
Sounds like it is just tilted more towards mid-bass, which is fine with me. My trio does sub-bass perfectly.

I already find U12t mid bass more than sufficient, not sure i'd want more mid bass with less sub bass on top of a more rolled of highs compared to U12t. In that general comparison i'd stick with the U12t.
I trust my ears more than review sites, but as there is no demo available at the moment that review is enough for me to hold back on a blind purchase despite the free spc premium cable offer.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #10,744 of 23,600
I already find U12t mid bass more than sufficient, not sure i'd want more mid bass with less sub bass on top of a more rolled of highs compared to U12t. In that general comparison i'd stick with the U12t.
I trust my ears more than review sites, but as there is no demo available at the moment that review is enough for me to hold back on a blind purchase despite the free spc premium cable offer.
That makes sense. I'm actually excited for some good mid-bass and smooth treble. That's my favorite sound sig for vocals.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #10,745 of 23,600
I'm with you on this one. I often find not enough sub bass and too much mid bass is a common criticism I have outside of the u12t. I am kind of amazed the stuff they do with trio regarding the highs.

Price tag is tempting, if only it was the price tag for a spanking new u12t. Gonna pass on the Nio.

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #10,747 of 23,600
64 fact checked the article upfront and did not change that, but...
Hey man, thanks for the review. And there I was thinking they finally made a U12t with Legend X bass. Oh well, the wait for perfection continues... (the U12t is *almost* there)

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #10,748 of 23,600
Thanks for the detailed write-up @Ultrainferno and tend to agree with you @gLer - I was hoping there wouldn't be too much compromise. Or rather, let's say too much of a deviation from the U12t sound. The feeling is that it's been toned down on both ends....softer, darker treble and softer, less punchy bass. Overall a thicker, more euphonic, though very pleasing sound (I'm picturing in my head a traditional tube-amp vs. SS amp sound). Not a bad thing at all, and sounds like it has some terrific technical capabilities, but is neither an N8 universal nor U12t+DD.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #10,749 of 23,600
64 fact checked the article upfront and did not change that, but...
Hm, that’s strange...
This is from the product detail page:
”Our first high driver-count hybrid, Nio is a universal-fit earphone featuring a 9mm dynamic driver and 8 balanced armature drivers. With a sound signature characterized by extended lows and a rich 3-dimensional soundstage, Nio’s smooth treble and natural warmth will provide hours of enjoyable listening for all genres of music.”
Also I believe Vitaly mentions 9mm in the launch video.
Anyhow not a big deal, of course.
Great review - very helpful!

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #10,750 of 23,600
Thanks for the review, it's good to have an early opinion of this new product even if the mx module wasn't tested - I doubt the sound would deviate too much from the M15 but I could be wrong.

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #10,751 of 23,600
Didn't I said it many times this is a u12t but with an DD instead....
When I was at canjam I a/b side by side the u12t and the unknown iem!...

Now you feeling 😇😊
As you have heard both the mystery K9 and the Trio, is there much difference? Do you think one would compliment the other or should I stick with the Trio.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #10,753 of 23,600
Knowing how the MX Module performs seems relevant to me ("it's the most open module we've ever made", )

I own the Trió and it would just be perfect to me if it could just have an even bigger soundstage.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #10,754 of 23,600
Alright so seeing at the Nio isn’t turning out to be a u12t with DD, can anyone recommend an alternative? From what I’ve read the FiR M4 seems to be closest to the mark...
When I had the FiR M4 during their tour, I had a really hard time picking a favorite between the M4 and Trio. I posted a review of the M4 here, but the short version is I liked the bass energy of the M4, but the Trio treble is something I have a hard time giving up. M4 bass: dynamic and energetic, Trio bass: just as deep as M4 but softer and lusher. M4 treble: clinical, crystaline, Trio treble: sweet, never hard or sibilant. I bought a Trio during 64Audio's sale and do not regret it at all. I've also since bought another DAP. The new-to-me Questyle QP2R makes my Trio sound faster and more powerful at the low end, but it also makes the highs harder. Overall, I prefer my Trio with my AK70 Mk II: it's lusher, but at the expense of also being softer and less resolving. Now, the Questyle and the Meze Rai Penta...

I'd really like another week with the M4, but I never got a response from FiR when I asked for the tour pair again. Darn covid (I asked in early March). I took a leap of faith with the Trio, and now my faith budget is all used up, so I won't be getting the M4 unless I can hear it again first.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #10,755 of 23,600
Alright so seeing at the Nio isn’t turning out to be a u12t with DD, can anyone recommend an alternative? From what I’ve read the FiR M4 seems to be closest to the mark...

From what I can remember of the U12t, the M4's low-treble should be quite a bit brighter; hotter. And, though its low-end shows all the traits of a DD, it's kept relatively neutral in quantity to my ears; filling out the bottom nicely, but not making its presence known, necessarily. To be honest, I feel like the closest you'll get to a U12t with a DD at the moment would be the A18s. The tonality is more-or-less there, and its low-end is guttural and imposing for an all-BA set-up. A DD it is not, but it is the closest for now. That said, I haven't heard the Nio yet, so that may change.

Knowing how the MX Module performs seems relevant to me ("it's the most open module we've ever made", )

I own the Trió and it would just be perfect to me if it could just have an even bigger soundstage.

You can't change the apex modules in the Trio, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back