The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #10,321 of 23,532
Tristy-Ive had both. I bought a new Z1R and returned it after 5 minutes of listening. I have owned the u18t and bought the u12t used. The u12t is the versatility and fun king. Everything just sounds good. Any music, any source. Really an amazing IEM. Easily recommend as a blind buy and I cannot say that about most of the IEM's I've owned.

Thanks for the input Berthoud, can you give any more details? I've heard such widespread good impressions of them. What are your favourite IEM's out of curiosity?

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #10,322 of 23,532
Wow, that cable is £700 more than I have to play with at the moment, after the u12Ts and the Fir Atom modules in the same month. Might have to wait a while...

Is it really worth it..?
Depends on whether you've found a difference with cables in the past. If not, ignore me and just get an Aries II or a copper from Forza (Their' L-shape connectors are very comfortable). Best case is to get it used here, and simply resell if it's not your cup of tea, the Leo II retains it's value fairly well.

Perhaps you can check out Norne Audio Silvergarde SX. It’s very reasonably priced with top notch quality. I used it with Trio and it gives good synergy, more clarity and resolution yet still has retains the warmth. Maybe it can have a similar impact to U12t as the cable‘s sound is pretty much uncolored.
It's reasonably priced for the potential indefinite wait for one of them, but due to that it's also rare and holds value well. Leo II has palladium so I'd doubt it be similar.

I'm very close to selling my U12t to fund a IER-Z1R purchase as I feel that it may be more of a signature that I prefer. I love the U12t so I don't want to let it go without gathering as much info on both before I do so. Is there anyone in this thread that has had experience with both (over longer than just a short listening session) that can comment on the pros and cons of each (in their eyes)? Cheers.
A Z1R costs about double the price I acquired my u12t for, and even used at a large fraction more. I've been able to demo it multiple times though.

- Z1R has better bass texture, and it has none of the coherency issues normal hybrids has (DD bass + BA mids), but is slower in exchange
- Z1R is heavy and the nozzles are thick, if you got small canals, they're gonna be falling out a lot out of your years for long listening sessions, also a fingerprint magnet.
- u12t has smoother treble and I've never ran into sibilance on them, Z1R pushes the envelope and I had the issue on a small couple of songs I test specifically. Personally I prefer tia treble, but Sony's single BA treble implemenation is magic.
- u12t has better balance between male and female vocals, the Z1R edges out on female vocals, male vocals are no slouch and I barely notice the recession most people talk about. Z1R does female vocals like no one else.
- The Z1R has a v shape signature and it makes everything sound good, but might be overly prominent. Also prefer the u12t in this front as it's not too prominent for me to put the music as a background, but able to dive in and enjoy it at a moment's notice.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #10,323 of 23,532
Depends on whether you've found a difference with cables in the past. If not, ignore me and just get an Aries II or a copper from Forza (Their' L-shape connectors are very comfortable). Best case is to get it used here, and simply resell if it's not your cup of tea, the Leo II retains it's value fairly well.

It's reasonably priced for the potential indefinite wait for one of them, but due to that it's also rare and holds value well. Leo II has palladium so I'd doubt it be similar.

A Z1R costs about double the price I acquired my u12t for, and even used at a large fraction more. I've been able to demo it multiple times though.

- Z1R has better bass texture, and it has none of the coherency issues normal hybrids has (DD bass + BA mids), but is slower in exchange
- Z1R is heavy and the nozzles are thick, if you got small canals, they're gonna be falling out a lot out of your years for long listening sessions, also a fingerprint magnet.
- u12t has smoother treble and I've never ran into sibilance on them, Z1R pushes the envelope and I had the issue on a small couple of songs I test specifically. Personally I prefer tia treble, but Sony's single BA treble implemenation is magic.
- u12t has better balance between male and female vocals, the Z1R edges out on female vocals, male vocals are no slouch and I barely notice the recession most people talk about. Z1R does female vocals like no one else.
- The Z1R has a v shape signature and it makes everything sound good, but might be overly prominent. Also prefer the u12t in this front as it's not too prominent for me to put the music as a background, but able to dive in and enjoy it at a moment's notice.

Thanks for the impressions. I have big ol' ears so thats not a problem. Im also able to sell the U12t for a minor loss over what I paid luckily and the Z1R I can get for £100 or so more so there's not much of a price difference for me.

ps. The Z1R's treble is handled by the smaller DD driver, I believe the mids are covered by the BA alongside the full range 12mm DD.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #10,324 of 23,532
Interesting impressions on Z1r. my only problem with it was the Fit. Aside from that it's an amazing IEM.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #10,325 of 23,532
Just forget about the sony.

The sound is maintream with nothing bad but also nothing really excellent in the sound signature. For the retail price it is bad and around 1200 usd is quiet acceptable but still very ordinary.

I don't really know why harcore audiophiles still believe in Sony. Their dap are nowhere close from any AK products ... yesterday i listened to the 1z K version the sound is very artificial compared to the sp2k...

Anyway the sony iem is just a mainstream premium product for those who don't know 64audio and other good brands on the iems market and are self reassured that they still buy from a mainstream brand. Everyone know sony...

By the way the shell of the sony is ridiculously big, the fit can't be a pain in the ass for some and overall the look is bling af.

Just keep your u12t. Far better.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #10,326 of 23,532
Luckily everyone can have their own opinion. it's free.

I totally disagree with your comments (aside from the fit/side). But that's how it is. everyone has their own opinion and preferences.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #10,327 of 23,532
Hey, everyone! 'Just published my First Look at 64's brand-new A18s, along with brief comparisons against the A18t and some of the industry's most recent flagships. I hope you enjoy, and I hope you all continue to stay healthy and safe wherever you are in the world. Cheers. :)

Nice impressions mate.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #10,328 of 23,532
Just forget about the sony.

The sound is maintream with nothing bad but also nothing really excellent in the sound signature. For the retail price it is bad and around 1200 usd is quiet acceptable but still very ordinary.

I don't really know why harcore audiophiles still believe in Sony. Their dap are nowhere close from any AK products ... yesterday i listened to the 1z K version the sound is very artificial compared to the sp2k...

Anyway the sony iem is just a mainstream premium product for those who don't know 64audio and other good brands on the iems market and are self reassured that they still buy from a mainstream brand. Everyone know sony...

By the way the shell of the sony is ridiculously big, the fit can't be a pain in the ass for some and overall the look is bling af.

Just keep your u12t. Far better.

Different taste for different people.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #10,329 of 23,532
Hahaha what?! AK DAPs? The SP2000 remains the only DAP I’ve tried that’s been able to push out sibilance in the Elysium - they’re just a re-branded iRiver with a treble boost :D

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #10,331 of 23,532
Anyone know if there will be a new apex modules coming out soon? As the demo of A18s here in HK come with a pair of black modules which is quite impressive compare to M15 and M20, and it is ssaid to be a gift to the new order.
That's interesting...maybe a HK special tuning?

How did you find the new module? brighter, warmer...?

It's becoming quite common HK having special editions with different tuning.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #10,332 of 23,532
That's interesting...maybe a HK special tuning?

How did you find the new module? brighter, warmer...?

It's becoming quite common HK having special editions with different tuning.

I personal think it's in between M20 and M15.
M20 is too bassy to me to equip it with A18s,
With the new modules, the vocal is brighter than M20, and added a little more bass comparing with M15.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #10,334 of 23,532
Hahaha what?! AK DAPs? The SP2000 remains the only DAP I’ve tried that’s been able to push out sibilance in the Elysium - they’re just a re-branded iRiver with a treble boost :D

Taking elysium as a reference iem is ridiculous. Elysium is very nice but nothing close to a reference tuning especially not for high frequency (electrostat drivers are enclined to sybilance)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back