The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #9,961 of 23,560
I am currently exploring cables with Trio. Stock cable, while not bad, is probably not ideal.

So far I'm finding that a good quality copper cable makes the signature "meatier" and probably tames the treble a little bit too (never found Trio treble piercing though) . I am using a Fearless cable that I received with Roland, SE. Still waiting for a good quality balanced copper cable. You can also check Electro Acousti for high quality cables at reasonable prices.

Also, I would recommend using some kind of foam if you find treble too much. My favourites are the Shure Olive tips but you need to widen their stem as they are slightly tight for the Trio bore. Some fiddling with a premium tip involved, but I find it's worth it given it significantly improves fit, seal and hence sound of an expensive iem.

Finally, what source are you using? Perhaps using a warmer source will also give you a better experience.

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll look into those cables. Also considering from Forza Audioworks.

I’m using the sp1000m as source. As far as tips, I’m using silicone ones JVC Spiral Dot++

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #9,962 of 23,560
I bought pw1960 4wires, it fit impressively with trio, before that I had plussound gold plated silver also very amazing.

But yes true the stock cable isnt perfect....

Thank you. Were these two options balanced or single ended?

I would like to try the balanced cable that comes with the Noir but I’m not sure if 64 Audio are selling it alone.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #9,963 of 23,560
Thank you for your feedback! I’ll look into those cables. Also considering from Forza Audioworks.

I’m using the sp1000m as source. As far as tips, I’m using silicone ones JVC Spiral Dot++

The spiral dots++ must be quite loose given the Trio bore is small. Are you doing something to make the fit more "snug"? Are you getting great seal? Good seal is not good enough here.

Tips are an easy part to underestimate and I certainly still fall in that trap. The right tip that gives you perfect seal and insertion depth can have a massive influence on the perceived sound. The wrong tip/insertion/seal can make your expensive iem sound thin, which could at least partly explain why you're experiencing sibilance.

If you're not getting optimal seal you're also likely not experiencing Trio bass at its best, which is really really good with good sub extension and nice, visceral "texture". It's not an overpowering bass but there's plenty of it.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #9,964 of 23,560
Is it possible to get a whiplash from too much SMH while reading contradicting impressions in this thread? :p

Well, it just proves, again, the point how different we hear things, iems, headphones, sources, etc. The beauty of this hobby :D

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #9,965 of 23,560
Is it possible to get a whiplash from too much SMH while reading contradicting impressions in this thread? :p

Well, it just proves, again, the point how different we hear things, iems, headphones, sources, etc. The beauty of this hobby :D
In times like these you appreciate LID tech... while the impressions still vary TONS, they tend to vary a tiny bit less than they do otherwise :D

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #9,966 of 23,560

It's exactly how I feel sometimes when looking at different reviews of the same iem :wink:

The thing is, iems are fiddly little buggers. It's so easy to dramatically change sound with a different insertion/seal/cable. Also, people have different ears, brains and past references (very important too).

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #9,967 of 23,560
The spiral dots++ must be quite loose given the Trio bore is small. Are you doing something to make the fit more "snug"? Are you getting great seal? Good seal is not good enough here.

Tips are an easy part to underestimate and I certainly still fall in that trap. The right tip that gives you perfect seal and insertion depth can have a massive influence on the perceived sound. The wrong tip/insertion/seal can make your expensive iem sound thin, which could at least partly explain why you're experiencing sibilance.

If you're not getting optimal seal you're also likely not experiencing Trio bass at its best, which is really really good with good sub extension and nice, visceral "texture". It's not an overpowering bass but there's plenty of it.

I’m using the SpiralDots++ as they come. They are indeed ever so slightly loose for the Trió bore but never had any issues with them falling off or staying in the ear.

I think I managed to get a good seal with them - at least the best I could - not lacking bass or having a thin sound so to speak, but I’m not using the eartips with a deep insertion, on the contrary I would say. I’m using the Larger size of the SpiralDots so I can have these “stuck” to the entrance of the ear canal and feel the ears sealed effect - can’t explain this better.

I had other iems before, a b&w c5 and had to use them in the same way.

I guess the shape of my ear canals is “odd” as I’ve tried all tips / sizes that come stock with the Trió, SpinFit cp100 extra-small, SpinFit cp500 Medium and none of these have worked for me. Only the stock silicone in Large size worked when used in that way, reason why I’ve bought the SpiralDots.

Maybe I’m not yet hearing the full potential of the Trió but I couldn’t find so far any better eartip option.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #9,968 of 23,560
Thank you. Were these two options balanced or single ended?

I would like to try the balanced cable that comes with the Noir but I’m not sure if 64 Audio are selling it alone.

Mine was 4.4 balanced from wm1z.

I tried the stock cable from noir and no thanks I dont like it.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #9,969 of 23,560

Did I do to much hype again ? LoL

Here one more picture of my belicious Tia Noir

20200408_092425.jpg

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #9,970 of 23,560
I’m using the SpiralDots++ as they come. They are indeed ever so slightly loose for the Trió bore but never had any issues with them falling off or staying in the ear.

I think I managed to get a good seal with them - at least the best I could - not lacking bass or having a thin sound so to speak, but I’m not using the eartips with a deep insertion, on the contrary I would say. I’m using the Larger size of the SpiralDots so I can have these “stuck” to the entrance of the ear canal and feel the ears sealed effect - can’t explain this better.

I had other iems before, a b&w c5 and had to use them in the same way.

I guess the shape of my ear canals is “odd” as I’ve tried all tips / sizes that come stock with the Trió, SpinFit cp100 extra-small, SpinFit cp500 Medium and none of these have worked for me. Only the stock silicone in Large size worked when used in that way, reason why I’ve bought the SpiralDots.

Maybe I’m not yet hearing the full potential of the Trió but I couldn’t find so far any better eartip option.
I think you'll likely have more luck playing with tips and insertion depth than cable rolling. Then again, I really don't think cables can alter sound outside of impedance differences which shouldnt matter on the trio due to lid tech.

So if you are finding the treble hot (that was you, right?), I think the conventional wisdom here is that you want narrower bore tips and a deeper insertion depth. Which seems to be the opposite of what you have going now. Then again, I know none of that matter if you can't get a proper seal or they are uncomfortable or painful to wear.

Pick up some westone star tips if you want to see just how much of a difference can be made. They have super narrow bores but can be stretched onto wider bore iems with some work. I wouldn't really recommend them otherwise as they really do alter things and kind of kill treble, but it may be what you are after.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #9,971 of 23,560
I think you'll likely have more luck playing with tips and insertion depth than cable rolling. Then again, I really don't think cables can alter sound outside of impedance differences which should matter on the trio due to lid tech.

So if you are finding the treble hot (that was you, right?), I think the conventional wisdom here is that you want narrower bore tips and a deeper insertion depth. Which seems to be the opposite of what you have going now. Then again, I know none of that matter if you can't get a proper seal or they are uncomfortable or painful to wear.

Pick up some westone star tips if you want to see just how much of a difference can be made. They have super narrow bores but can be stretched onto wider bore iems with some work. I wouldn't really recommend them otherwise as they really do alter things and kind of kill treble, but it may be what you are after.

Thank you for the feedback. My only complaint is that I’m getting sibilance in some songs. Indeed, a deeper insertion in exactly the opposite of what I am going now. I’ll check again with my Spinfit cp100 which have a narrower bore.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #9,972 of 23,560
Thank you for the feedback. My only complaint is that I’m getting sibilance in some songs. Indeed, a deeper insertion in exactly the opposite of what I am going now. I’ll check again with my Spinfit cp100 which have a narrower bore.
I have actually been using smaller than normal tips on these. For most iems I do like you and have a very shallow fit with the eartip just kind of resting at the opening there. I also have comfort issues with a lot of larger iems so I cant often do deeper insertions.

For my trio I have gone back and forth between spinfit cp100 medium and am currently using final e medium (usually use L or LL) and getting sort of a medium insertion depth. But I also just think I lucked out here as the shape really fits my ears well.

I also know what you are talking about with the treble, it's got that sparkle that at times can feel slightly hot, but with the setup I have now it never crosses into sibilance for me or becomes unbearable.

As others have also mentioned, your dap could be a small contributor too. I am using the n6ii with e01 in class a mode which presents sound a bit on the smoother side.

But with everything, don't expect major differences, just small tweaks. Best of luck getting the sound where you want it.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #9,973 of 23,560
While the Noir has less treble quantity than that of the Fourte, I personally found its treble to be really hot at times - might've hit a specific treble sensitivity for me, but I'd recommend it cautiously

It's a really good all rounder, and a rather detailed IEM, but I found the Trio to be somewhat boring and generic, and the Noir kinda did that for me too - there's nothing wrong with it, but I felt it lacked the unique character of the original Fourte, or that of the A18s, the Elysium and the Z1R (my current top 4 personal favourites)

The mids on the Noir are great, but they're still rather classic BA mids lacking the texture of a well implemented DD. The bass elevation also sucks some air out of the composition as a whole

If I am to be especially picky so to say, those would be my criticisms of the Noir
I am not sophisticated by any means when it comes to IEMs (just picked up the hobby a few months ago), but I sold my Noir because I found the treble - as @mvvRAZ said - much too bright, hot, and quite sibilant. This was with the stock cable and several different tips, most of which were foam because I found the foam tamed the treble more so than silicone. Other than the hot treble, I thought they were wonderful - amazing soundstage, balanced mids, excellent low extension and quality. But the treble was a deal breaker for me.

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #9,974 of 23,560
I am not sophisticated by any means when it comes to IEMs (just picked up the hobby a few months ago), but I sold my Noir because I found the treble - as @mvvRAZ said - much too bright, hot, and quite sibilant. This was with the stock cable and several different tips, most of which were foam because I found the foam tamed the treble more so than silicone. Other than the hot treble, I thought they were wonderful - amazing soundstage, balanced mids, excellent low extension and quality. But the treble was a deal breaker for me.

Woaaa you still ended by selling them ! :cry: :disappointed_relieved:

I found my comfort with tia noir + comply foam. I like comply foam for its comfort and isolation. I did cut the upper half so it is much more closer to silicone tips performance that way.

Pw1960 4wires cable

Wm1z + Romi Mod.

Yes my wm1z was physically modified :gs1000smile::ksc75smile::upside_down::gs1000smile::ksc75smile::ghost:
Waiting to receive it back, soon will know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back