The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 8, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #9,946 of 23,560
A12t is definitely darker than a lot of IEMs around. From the ones I have/had they are dark compared to: Andromeda S, Sd5, Tux5, AF1120, DM6.

Maybe I would consider A12T "Natural", but not "Neutral".

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #9,947 of 23,560
A12t is definitely darker than a lot of IEMs around. From the ones I have/had they are dark compared to: Andromeda S, Sd5, Tux5, AF1120, DM6.

Maybe I would consider A12T "Natural", but not "Neutral".

Agree on Andromeda S and AF1120: haven't tried the rest. Andromeda S is a bit of an interesting one: the highs are a bit prominent, but it's not as well extended out.

For what it's worth, the Polaris is a bit more accentuated in the treble area then the U12t, but the M9s are a bit shallower in the trebles than the A12t's.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #9,948 of 23,560
Trio treble is more piercing then the Noir ! Yes can you imagine a fourte lol and has less treble then trio ???
Treble in trio is sharper and has a nice metallic resonating zing, I really loved that but at some times it was a little to sharp but occasionally. With noir no treble peaks like that for me
But by all means do your self a favor buy high grade quality custom cable it really does improve sound over stock 1!

Thanks for your impressions! I also consider the Trió a great iem but in my opinion they are a bit sibilant with some songs - maybe this is what you mean by having a piercing treble.

In this sense, when you say one should buy a high grade quality custom cable, is there any cable you can recommend that definitely enhance the Trió qualities while tame its sibilance? Balanced or single ended?

I’m wondering if this sibilance is due to the silver plated copper the stock cable is made with?

(For reference, I’m using a sp1000m)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #9,949 of 23,560
Honestly I'm considering the A18t or A18s but unfortunately 64Audio didn't send out the demos of the A18s to the German distributor. Otherwise I'd probably have made the decision and placed the order during their shutdown.

I'm hoping that they will extend the special offer until after they are able to supply their distributors and partners with A18s demos because I don't think many people can just buy a TOTL IEM without being certain is right for their needs.

It would certainly have helped of 64 audio had already been able to send out the demos before the shutdown.

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #9,950 of 23,560
Thanks for your impressions! I also consider the Trió a great iem but in my opinion they are a bit sibilant with some songs - maybe this is what you mean by having a piercing treble.

In this sense, when you say one should buy a high grade quality custom cable, is there any cable you can recommend that definitely enhance the Trió qualities while tame its sibilance? Balanced or single ended?

I’m wondering if this sibilance is due to the silver plated copper the stock cable is made with?

I’d attribute it to the SP1000M - back when I was running that it would push sibilance out of a whole bunch of stuff that wouldn’t otherwise be sibilant - the tia Fourte Noir for example

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #9,951 of 23,560
I’d attribute it to the SP1000M - back when I was running that it would push sibilance out of a whole bunch of stuff that wouldn’t otherwise be sibilant - the tia Fourte Noir for example

I also thought the player could be contributing to it but I’ve tried the same song on an open back headphone and heard no sibilance.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #9,952 of 23,560
I also thought the player could be contributing to it but I’ve tried the same song on an open back headphone and heard no sibilance.
Yeah a player won’t cause sibilance in every single headphone and IEM, but in certain combinations it certainly does. For example the SP1000M got a demo VE8 I was trying to extreme levels of sibilance, but worked absolutely beautifully with my Elysium

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #9,953 of 23,560
I blind bought and am beyond happy with my choice, but I do not recommend doing that at all with any IEMs. Especially right now considering 64 audio has stopped production until May, there's really no rush to buy any IEMs unless it's that 20% discount you're after.
Think they've said they'll hold that discount anyway. Best to email to check though. Ironic for me. Last year couldn't get to the audiologist because I was streaming with hayfever, then that turned into a cold that went onto my chest (not good when asthmatic). Finally finally shifted that and got my ears sorted out and two weeks later this all started. First world problems and all that but it will be close to a year since I've last been able to get to an audiologist (which is even more ironic as I finally found one who knew what she was talking about with regards to impressions).

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #9,954 of 23,560
Yeah a player won’t cause sibilance in every single headphone and IEM, but in certain combinations it certainly does. For example the SP1000M got a demo VE8 I was trying to extreme levels of sibilance, but worked absolutely beautifully with my Elysium

I’m hoping that using another cable/material can help with the Trió but don’t have any other cable to try.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #9,955 of 23,560
Think they've said they'll hold that discount anyway. Best to email to check though. Ironic for me. Last year couldn't get to the audiologist because I was streaming with hayfever, then that turned into a cold that went onto my chest (not good when asthmatic). Finally finally shifted that and got my ears sorted out and two weeks later this all started. First world problems and all that but it will be close to a year since I've last been able to get to an audiologist (which is even more ironic as I finally found one who knew what she was talking about with regards to impressions).
A higher power is trying to get you to save some money :D

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #9,956 of 23,560
@dazzerfong

I owned tia fourte regular, trio and now noir.

I left 64a after sold the regular forte with disappointment due to treble elevation. In between had

Ee phantom for 1 year
Ier-z1r 6 month
Then Trio. For quiet some time.

Well fourte regular is very unique, it has nothing a like any other iems. It has huge echoing ability, very transparent, best bass control among anything I heard. Yes I find regular fourte has better bass control over noir.
The regular has a very u shaped sound and sometimes notes feels swallowed, like its so faint and low sound weird not coherent.
Noir dont have this problem.

Noir are very massive and powerful. Its a beast huge sound authoritive, very large wide bass and deep. Overall tonality is warm and thick.
The treble is nothing a like regular fourte or trio. The noir treble feels heavy thick and a mix between electrostatic and some wet cold water droplets. Yea weird I as said lol
Once you get in to it and get accustomed the treble is so delicate that you forget all issues that are treble related....

Vocals are different from noir to regular. I will still give an edge to regular as they are the most impressive breathy natural voices I ever heard.
Noir voices are also very natural and good but different maybe more on the warmer side.

Trio is also one very special iem, I love trio a lot I think a lot of people remember how crazy I was about them. I praised them so much that 64a made the 30% discount till stock runs out hehe.

I truly did love them and do much more over the regular fourte. As they are very fun fast visceral bass treble is smooth and zingy. It has more bass slam. It have all the attributes of the super intense fun audiophile iem.

But they day I bought noir things changed widely, at first I still preferred my trio but with days going by I realised that the noir had way much better mids, very massive bass. In comparison trio bass is fast and has quick burst once it finishes producing the bass its silent and it disappears. Noir is not like that, noir bass is vast wide very surround like feel and has more presence.

Trio treble is more piercing then the Noir ! Yes can you imagine a fourte lol and has less treble then trio ???
Treble in trio is sharper and has a nice metallic resonating zing, I really loved that but at some times it was a little to sharp but occasionally. With noir no treble peaks like that for me

To summarise that,

You want best audiophile best iem. Go fourte regular as its the closest to the transparency and analytical.

Noir is a very high end iem with every package possible! Warm bass thick easy treble resolution details nuances and so so on.
I keep saying noir is a mix of this 3 headphones, mdr z1r, hd820, he-1.

Trio is very pleasant, has a superb drive. You want to experience a nice impressive hardcore musical feeling go with trio. It will immerse you in to sound like nothing else. It has also one great ability to be a very good all arounder to.

You want to save money go for trio its really worth it.

But by all means do your self a favor buy high grade quality custom cable it really does improve sound over stock 1!

I own the Trio (your enthusiasm encouraged me to get one when it was on sale!) and I feel I am still figuring it out. Fitting the Shure tips was a massive win for me as it solved any fit issues forever and now allows the bass (and rest of the signature) to come forward in all its glory. I see many people here with fit issues and I once again highly recommend this easy fix. It doesn't take much skill.

Yes the Trio mids can be softer than other iems. Vocals are not recessed by any means but mids are more "energetic" on other totl iems like ThieAudio V14. Trio is still a fantastic package, very musical and easy to listen to. I am treble sensitive and I never find Trio treble to be piercing. It's a very coherent signature that allows you to focus on music rather than OCD details.

And now to the elephant in the room for me: what would be the criticisms on the Fourte Noir? I understand it's the top dog and I am sure it's deserving of all the praise but surely there's some kind of Achille's heel? Somewhere?

Not trying to poop on anybody's dreams but as a potential buyer I look for the positives and the limits of a product. Especially at that price. I also saw a very credible reviewer's impression and he actually thought Trio was more coherent? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a lot!

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #9,957 of 23,560
I own the Trio (your enthusiasm encouraged me to get one when it was on sale!) and I feel I am still figuring it out. Fitting the Shure tips was a massive win for me as it solved any fit issues forever and now allows the bass (and rest of the signature) to come forward in all its glory. I see many people here with fit issues and I once again highly recommend this easy fix. It doesn't take much skill.

Yes the Trio mids can be softer than other iems. Vocals are not recessed by any means but mids are more "energetic" on other totl iems like ThieAudio V14. Trio is still a fantastic package, very musical and easy to listen to. I am treble sensitive and I never find Trio treble to be piercing. It's a very coherent signature that allows you to focus on music rather than OCD details.

And now to the elephant in the room for me: what would be the criticisms on the Fourte Noir? I understand it's the top dog and I am sure it's deserving of all the praise but surely there's some kind of Achille's heel? Somewhere?

Not trying to poop on anybody's dreams but as a potential buyer I look for the positives and the limits of a product. Especially at that price. I also saw a very credible reviewer's impression and he actually thought Trio was more coherent? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a lot!
While the Noir has less treble quantity than that of the Fourte, I personally found its treble to be really hot at times - might've hit a specific treble sensitivity for me, but I'd recommend it cautiously

It's a really good all rounder, and a rather detailed IEM, but I found the Trio to be somewhat boring and generic, and the Noir kinda did that for me too - there's nothing wrong with it, but I felt it lacked the unique character of the original Fourte, or that of the A18s, the Elysium and the Z1R (my current top 4 personal favourites)

The mids on the Noir are great, but they're still rather classic BA mids lacking the texture of a well implemented DD. The bass elevation also sucks some air out of the composition as a whole

If I am to be especially picky so to say, those would be my criticisms of the Noir

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #9,958 of 23,560

I am currently exploring cables with Trio. Stock cable, while not bad, is probably not ideal.

So far I'm finding that a good quality copper cable makes the signature "meatier" and probably tames the treble a little bit too (never found Trio treble piercing though) . I am using a Fearless cable that I received with Roland, SE. Still waiting for a good quality balanced copper cable. You can also check Electro Acousti for high quality cables at reasonable prices.

Also, I would recommend using some kind of foam if you find treble too much. My favourites are the Shure Olive tips but you need to widen their stem as they are slightly tight for the Trio bore. Some fiddling with a premium tip involved, but I find it's worth it given it significantly improves fit, seal and hence sound of an expensive iem.

Finally, what source are you using? Perhaps using a warmer source will also give you a better experience.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #9,959 of 23,560

I bought pw1960 4wires, it fit impressively with trio, before that I had plussound gold plated silver also very amazing.

But yes true the stock cable isnt perfect....

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #9,960 of 23,560
While the Noir has less treble quantity than that of the Fourte, I personally found its treble to be really hot at times - might've hit a specific treble sensitivity for me, but I'd recommend it cautiously

It's a really good all rounder, and a rather detailed IEM, but I found the Trio to be somewhat boring and generic, and the Noir kinda did that for me too - there's nothing wrong with it, but I felt it lacked the unique character of the original Fourte, or that of the A18s, the Elysium and the Z1R (my current top 4 personal favourites)

The mids on the Noir are great, but they're still rather classic BA mids lacking the texture of a well implemented DD. The bass elevation also sucks some air out of the composition as a whole

If I am to be especially picky so to say, those would be my criticisms of the Noir

Thank you! I don't have issues with the Trio treble so I guess I wouldn't have any with Fourte Noir.

I've been resisting the Z1R temptation for a while. Don't want to try them blind as the fit can be an issue. My ears are quite forgiving but still....very intriguing iem however.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back