The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #9,916 of 23,560
I went with the N8s strictly for the 2-pin hardware, comparing the two (walking between the two booths at CanJam) they're very very similar.

You're probably right. Probably in a similar vein, I don't really like planar gear either.

Since I liked Lola, there is a very high possibility I will also like N8? Thanks!

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #9,918 of 23,560
Oh definitely, I don't like the term "basshead" but I'm definitely basshead-adjacent. For reference, my preferred headphones are a pair of slightly modded Fostex TH900.

From memory, I wouldn't say there was more bass on the N8s compared to the A12t, but it "hits" different. I can't really explain it but from demo'ing around I've noticed I really only enjoy DD bass.

- Not a basshead
- Owns a TH900

Yeah, you're a basshead :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #9,920 of 23,560
Any more experience with the A18s?

Have owned u18t, currently u12t (and love it), and am going to order u12t OR u18s

Any updated impressions on the 18s??

Absolutely superb staging, seriously it's incredibly immersive with the way sound is presented. Although from memory it is not as open as something like the Fourte.

Exceptional bass tuning, some of the cleanest BA bass I've heard, it's quite addicting and has plenty of quantity too (M20 module). It's one of those IEMs that I really love turning up to higher volumes because it just keeps on giving.

Relative to the U18t the treble is smoother but equally or if not more extended, I think it'll hit a real sweet spot for treble for the majority of listeners. I've never heard the U12t unfortunately.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #9,921 of 23,560
Any more experience with the A18s?

Have owned u18t, currently u12t (and love it), and am going to order u12t OR u18s

Any updated impressions on the 18s??

Sure you want to blind-buy the A18s? I strongly recommend you wait for the COVID-19 pandemic to die down then go to a store and try them out.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #9,922 of 23,560
Sure you want to blind-buy the A18s? I strongly recommend you wait for the COVID-19 pandemic to die down then go to a store and try them out.

I blind bought and am beyond happy with my choice, but I do not recommend doing that at all with any IEMs. Especially right now considering 64 audio has stopped production until May, there's really no rush to buy any IEMs unless it's that 20% discount you're after.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #9,923 of 23,560
I blind bought and am beyond happy with my choice, but I do not recommend doing that at all with any IEMs. Especially right now considering 64 audio has stopped production until May, there's really no rush to buy any IEMs unless it's that 20% discount you're after.

You blind bought them................

1586301159605.png

I don't even blind buy things that are $300, let alone $3000.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #9,924 of 23,560
You blind bought them................

1586301159605.png

I don't even blind buy things that are $300, let alone $3000.

Trust me, it goes against my ideology about buying IEMs, but I really really enjoy music and having a new toy during this covid 19 situation just sounded too good to pass up, I couldn't resist. Plus on top of that I have huge faith in 64 audio's flagships, while I knew it was a risky buy in terms of maybe not liking the sound signature, I knew it would still be something exceptional regardless.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #9,925 of 23,560
Trust me, it goes against my ideology about buying IEMs, but I really really enjoy music and having a new toy during this covid 19 situation just sounded too good to pass up, I couldn't resist. Plus on top of that I have huge faith in 64 audio's flagships, while I knew it was a risky buy in terms of maybe not liking the sound signature, I knew it would still be something exceptional regardless.

Problem is there is so much trash in the upper price tiers now that I'll be extremely hesitant to blind buy anything at that price range. Pretty much tried all the $1k+ custom IEMs in my local store (there were over 20) and there were more 'trash' than gems.

Like if I blind-bought a Fourte, I'd be crying..........(disclaimer: not trash, but bad for the price when the U18 and A12 exists. Also, for my ears only)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #9,926 of 23,560
Problem is there is so much trash in the upper price tiers now that I'll be extremely hesitant to blind buy anything at that price range. Pretty much tried all the $1k+ custom IEMs in my local store (there were over 20) and there were more 'trash' than gems.

Like if I blind-bought a Fourte, I'd be crying..........(disclaimer: not trash, but bad for the price when the U18 and A12 exists. Also, for my ears only)

Not disagreeing with you there that there are some IEM offerings in the same price range that are pure offensive, but I have faith in 64 audio that I just took the leap and ended up very happy. Also it's all subjective at the end of the day. I know several people, myself included, who absolutely love the Fourte. While it may not be that neutral monitor you're looking for, it has a very special sound.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #9,927 of 23,560
Not disagreeing with you there that there are some IEM offerings in the same price range that are pure offensive, but I have faith in 64 audio that I just took the leap and ended up very happy. Also it's all subjective at the end of the day. I know several people, myself included, who absolutely love the Fourte. While it may not be that neutral monitor you're looking for, it has a very special sound.

Suppose 64 Audio's one of the more reliable ones: even at their worst, they are nowhere near as bad as some other brands out there.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #9,929 of 23,560
I have only heard the U/A18t, Fourte, and now A18s so I cant comment on the lower end stuff but I imagine that’s the case too.

Most of the lower-range custom range have a somewhat similar sound profile. Of course, as it goes up, it all becomes a bit more refined (more visceral bass, better extension, etc) but they are not offensive at the slightest.

---------------

About APEX, I think I finally 'get' it.

With the M20s, my ears would hurt a bit after a few hours of listening to them. Absolutely nothing with M15s however.

There's something going on with the mid-bass with the M20s as when I use the M20s on one side and the M15s on the other, it sounds off.

In the end, think I'm gonna stick with the M15s. At the beginning I was worried about the 5db lower attenuation and the supposed lowered sub-bass: however, I honestly did not notice the difference when I was out and about. The M20s however I reserve for lowest of drops: when bass is all I want or care about.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #9,930 of 23,560
I have blind bought many IEM's in my day but customs are a big step forward. I would be more patient and wait for a demo but I recently owned a universal from another brand, bought the custom, and the sound is so different from the universal its not even the same IEM.

Love customs but I rely on these forums to gain information about how they perform. Appreciate the answers. Think Ill just go for the a18s. Loved the u18t and now the u12t (and especially LID for source versatility)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back