The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #9,991 of 23,665
A note9, but also tried on a relatively new PC (no dedicated sound card tho). Same thing both times.
I see - could be that your treble sensitivity is especially low then

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #9,992 of 23,665
It's funny coz it's the other way around for me: the amount of bass on the M20 eventually makes me go nauseous.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #9,993 of 23,665
It's funny coz it's the other way around for me: the amount of bass on the M20 eventually makes me go nauseous.

Yeah I can see that sound signature not being everyone's cup of tea. Maybe I should have separated my "concerns".

1. I kind of get why I didn't like the brighter M15 although I wish I would :frowning2:

2. Something in the high freq range goes all wild with the M15 so that those sounds feel dry and a less controlled - anyone notice that? It may just be my fatigue to highs resulting in my ears not focusing and thus interpreting this as loss of detail, but just wanted to make sure.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #9,994 of 23,665
Yeah I can see that sound signature not being everyone's cup of tea. Maybe I should have separated my "concerns".

1. I kind of get why I didn't like the brighter M15 although I wish I would :frowning2:

2. Something in the high freq range goes all wild with the M15 so that those sounds feel dry and a less controlled - anyone notice that? It may just be my fatigue to highs resulting in my ears not focusing and thus interpreting this as loss of detail, but just wanted to make sure.

Get the FiR Audio ATOM XL modules and use the Gold (-17 module) for the best of both worlds :p

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #9,996 of 23,665
I tried the M15 module on the A12t again, and I can't get how some of you guys are preferring it to the M20 - it is just too hot, like I know I was sensitive to highs, but it not only seemed to up them, it straight up messes up with the whole imaging. I felt anything in the mid-high range just dry up and lose detail. The highs as expected would fatigue my ears in minutes, but that's more of a me thing like mentioned. Besides the bass shrunk in spaciousness, from 11 to maybe a 7.

Am I missing something? I don't apply any EQ.

I am contemplating just selling the M15s at this point.
Here’s the measured difference between M15 and M20: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2019/...noir/#The_Difference_Between_Apex_M15_and_M20

For both, the 12t and 18t I MUCH prefer m15. I think the difference doesn’t show in the frequency response. The leaner and more spacious sound must have to do with less reverberations or something.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #9,997 of 23,665
I tried the M15 module on the A12t again, and I can't get how some of you guys are preferring it to the M20 - it is just too hot, like I know I was sensitive to highs, but it not only seemed to up them, it straight up messes up with the whole imaging. I felt anything in the mid-high range just dry up and lose detail. The highs as expected would fatigue my ears in minutes, but that's more of a me thing like mentioned. Besides the bass shrunk in spaciousness, from 11 to maybe a 7.

Am I missing something? I don't apply any EQ.

I am contemplating just selling the M15s at this point.

Funny you say that because I went the opposite and bout the FiR Atom modules and use the -13 ones because I felt like mine was still a bit bassy with the m15 modules. Maybe everyone has different a experience because of unit variation with customs?

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #9,998 of 23,665
Might have something to do with our age? I have a feeling younglings would prefer the bassier stuff, as their treble hearing isn't as shot........

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #9,999 of 23,665
Might have something to do with our age? I have a feeling younglings would prefer the bassier stuff, as their treble hearing isn't as shot........

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it. Maybe the M15 is just something for the future, when I'll need that extra treble :)

On a side note I did some tests a month ago and I can still clearly hear sounds at around 18.5k I read at my age (29) I should've been down to around 16k or something like that. I still hear the weird transformer hiss some power supplies produce etc..

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #10,001 of 23,665
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it. Maybe the M15 is just something for the future, when I'll need that extra treble :)

On a side note I did some tests a month ago and I can still clearly hear sounds at around 18.5k I read at my age (29) I should've been down to around 16k or something like that. I still hear the weird transformer hiss some power supplies produce etc..

That's pretty incredible - I'm 25 and I top out at around 17k Hz. Still hear the TV hiss and coil whine on computer, to my great chagrin :frowning2:

What's funny is that the A12t actually had less treble for me compared to the U12t. With the U12t, I absolutely stuck with the M20 as that was already bordering on too much treble.

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #10,002 of 23,665
What's funny is that the A12t actually had less treble for me compared to the U12t. With the U12t, I absolutely stuck with the M20 as that was already bordering on too much treble.

Yeah, I also remember the u12t having a bit more treble but interestingly that one didnt bother me. Maybe its the effect of both reduced bass and higher treble that's putting me off. I'll give it another shot if I happen to test another source, but thanks to all for your thoughts :)

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #10,003 of 23,665
Yeah, I also remember the u12t having a bit more treble but interestingly that one didnt bother me. Maybe its the effect of both reduced bass and higher treble that's putting me off. I'll give it another shot if I happen to test another source, but thanks to all for your thoughts :)
Source probably won't change anything because of the lid technology. The note 9 should be fine, just make sure you don't have any of the enhancements selected in sound settings. Should look like this
Screenshot_20200412-184323_SoundAlive.jpg

Other thank that I wouldn't be surprised if your preference changes, try listening to the M15 a bit longer and you might adjust to it maybe try some different music. Either way I wouldn't sell it just for the sake of completeness.

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #10,004 of 23,665
Yep, I found the U12t a great balance of bass and treble for me, so when I got my a12t, I was surprised by how bassy it was. The FiR 13 module definitely helps bring it in a bit for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back