The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 26, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #7,261 of 23,667
You’re right, they didn’t. They sold me an IEM with the promise of ownership transfers and later changed their minds. Do you see how this might maybe, I dunno, make some people angry? Or is your mind genuinely too clouded by corporate bootlicking to realize greed when you see it?
When they first come out, they located in Oregon, that is when I bought their iem, but then later on they moved to Washington state, which I lived in meaning if I buy from them again I have to pay tax, so I stop buying, same case here, if they stop offer ownership transfer then stop buying

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #7,262 of 23,667
When they first come out, they located in Oregon, that is when I bought their iem, but then later on they moved to Washington state, which I lived in meaning if I buy from them again I have to pay tax, so I stop buying, same case here, if they stop offer ownership transfer then stop buying

I think you’re missing the point here. People who bought knowing they could sell/reshell them are the ones who are mainly upset. Also comparing sales tax to not being able to resell an IEM are two completely different extremes.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #7,263 of 23,667
You don’t seem to get it. Some minor tax incurrences doesn’t really equate to killing the entire secondhand market off, including that of already purchased products. The keyword here is already purchased. What happens if I want to sell my A12t, is 64A going to refund me? Or are they going to tell me to suck it up? I’ll let you guess what the outcome of that will be.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #7,264 of 23,667
You don’t seem to get it. Some minor tax incurrences doesn’t really equate to killing the entire secondhand market off, including that of already purchased products. The keyword here is already purchased. What happens if I want to sell my A12t, is 64A going to refund me? Or are they going to tell me to suck it up? I’ll let you guess what the outcome of that will be.
Playing devil's advocate here, if you trust the buyer, wouldn't it be possible to remold the IEM oh his behalf (so 64 is still dealing with the original owner) and sell them the already re-customized IEM (new price including the incurred expenses, of course)?

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #7,265 of 23,667
Playing devil's advocate here, if you trust the buyer, wouldn't it be possible to remold the IEM oh his behalf (so 64 is still dealing with the original owner) and sell them the already re-customized IEM (new price including the incurred expenses, of course)?

Odds are the buyers ear mold is significantly different than the sellers and maybe they’d refuse? no idea.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #7,266 of 23,667
It amazes me how eager some people are to defend companies that show zero consideration for the consumer.

Since 64 Audio keeps impressions on hand (digital scans), unless the new owner had sufficiently similar ears, they'd get rejected.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #7,267 of 23,667
I’m not reading any real fine print that implies that so the best I can do is assume that 64A has decided to take the secondary market to the chopping block. Of course, @64Audio is free to clear this up for their customers, should they choose.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #7,268 of 23,667
The new remold cost for the A18t is $399. So I believe they lowered that $200. It also says that only the original owner can apply for a remold.

Benefit of the doubt here - does that mean perhaps only the original owner can ship them to 64Audio and ask for a remold for the new buyer, and the buyer can’t do it themselves?

Some clarification would be nice although that is likely not the case since the remold cost is lower now too.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #7,269 of 23,667
The new remold cost for the A18t is $399. So I believe they lowered that $200. It also says that only the original owner can apply for a remold.

Benefit of the doubt here - does that mean perhaps only the original owner can ship them to 64Audio and ask for a remold for the new seller, and the seller can’t do it themselves?

Some clarification would be nice although that is likely not the case since the remold cost is lower now too.

Hopefully that’s the case - even if it’s just for everyone that already purchased a custom from them already.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #7,271 of 23,667
It is honestly way simpler than all of that - 64 isn't the only company that can reshell an A18t/12t or whichever IEM you want to sell
Generally when I spend several thousand dollars on a CIEM I expect decent customer service. I don’t see why I should be going to a third party (and very likely voiding the warranty) when I’m paying a premium for quality.

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #7,272 of 23,667
This is happening because 64 Audio built their reputation on custom goods, and then discovered they could turn around and charge just as much for off-the-shelf versions.

The audiophile secondary market creates such a strong preference for universal IEMs that 64 Audio can charge the same price for a U18 that it charges for an A18, which takes a lot more labor to produce. Heck, they can charge 27% more for a Fourte remix, which must involve drastically lower labor costs than either of them, and also substitutes a single 9mm driver—one that's sufficiently inexpensive that they don't bother to tell you anything else about its specifications—for 15 balanced armatures. (Premium solder, though.)

Given that reality, it makes sense that they are trying to shift their resources toward a greater proportion of universals in the mix. And the first place you'd want to shift is ownership transfers, which are as unprofitable relative to new customs as new customs are to universals. Maybe worse.

Losing a couple audiophile customers here and there to Custom Art or Jomo or AAW probably isn't that big a concern. You've still got the other audiophiles who just have to have your customs, and aren't worried about resale. You've still got the professionals. And of course, your real money these days is in universals.

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #7,273 of 23,667
This is happening because 64 Audio built their reputation on custom goods, and then discovered they could turn around and charge just as much for off-the-shelf versions.

The audiophile secondary market creates such a strong preference for universal IEMs that 64 Audio can charge the same price for a U18 that it charges for an A18, which takes a lot more labor to produce. Heck, they can charge 27% more for a Fourte remix, which must involve drastically lower labor costs than either of them, and also substitutes a single 9mm driver—one that's sufficiently inexpensive that they don't bother to tell you anything else about its specifications—for 15 balanced armatures. (Premium solder, though.)

Given that reality, it makes sense that they are trying to shift their resources toward a greater proportion of universals in the mix. And the first place you'd want to shift is ownership transfers, which are as unprofitable relative to new customs as new customs are to universals. Maybe worse.

Losing a couple audiophile customers here and there to Custom Art or Jomo or AAW probably isn't that big a concern. You've still got the other audiophiles who just have to have your customs, and aren't worried about resale. You've still got the professionals. And of course, your real money these days is in universals.
This is exactly what I’m thinking given their evolving lineup of universals without custom equivalents. Don’t forget about professional musicians as well who rely on customs, but probably don’t care about the extremely high end models for on stage monitoring.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #7,274 of 23,667

This comment nailed it. To add to that, customs were generally speaking designed for professionals, and only later the audiophile market adopted them

The first step for that imo would be to make them more widely available, these days getting your hands on a universal in the EU is pretty hard

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #7,275 of 23,667
So I had a rather negative initial experience with 64, and there were a ton of misunderstandings and issues along the way, but Vitaliy reached out today to speak about the experience

So I don’t get decapitated by the forums - Vitaliy told me the experience was highly unusual and it was an issue that wasn’t on my end but rather due to internal changes and reorganization - he was also extremely helpful in resolving the matter and has not only redeemed the image I have of 64audio, but significantly surpassed it

It’s not often that companies are able to admit when something has gone wrong, and in order to make a gesture on my side as well, I have placed an order for the Forte Noir and am highly anticipating its arrival :)
Pushover.... jk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back