The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 25, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #7,231 of 23,651
Jul 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #7,233 of 23,651
Yeah, I just noticed that myself. I was just about to place an order for theA12t, but now I am not so sure since there is essentially no resale value. Not that I generally care in the end; but it's a nice to have down the road when the upgraditis bug bites...

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #7,234 of 23,651
It’ll make it harder for me to recommend the A12t/A18t personally. (In the same way I don’t often recommend a custom Anole VX, VE8, or Legend X.)

It’s worse here than with other BA only IEMs because these IEMs use APEX modules - and a lot of third party services will shy away from them.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #7,235 of 23,651
Disappointing, but I understand. I'm grateful that they'll reshell for the original owner at least.
My big concern with CIEM is that the fit changes over the years, and the manufacturer won't want to refit even for a fee.
When my dog ate my left CIEM from JHA, I was happy to pay full price for a replacement side. (ok, not exactly happy to pay full price for one ear)
I'm happy my right CIEM wasn't junk.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #7,236 of 23,651

Ooftt... new 64Audio policy... closing the doors on remolding.

https://www.64audio.com/faq
What is with this inane trend? Why are companies all so eager to ruin resale value for their customers? It’s absolutely ridiculous that 64A pretty much backed out on a policy that people bought their CIEMs under.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #7,237 of 23,651
One thing I will say about 64 is they have always been good about transferring warranty to new owners if the original owner provides the request and evidence. Perhaps they'll allow a reshell if this happens? That would mitigate the worry of theft.

Edit: Specifically with regards to their universals; never tried the transfer for Customs

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #7,238 of 23,651
What is with this inane trend? Why are companies all so eager to ruin resale value for their customers? It’s absolutely ridiculous that 64A pretty much backed out on a policy that people bought their CIEMs under.

I’m sure it makes sense for them financially - other manufacturers have said in the past that reshelling is expensive and time consuming.

I call BS on the “stolen IEM” excuse though. It’d be trivially easy to require that the IEM is shipped by the original owner, ask for original order documentation, or even have a simple email confirmation process.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #7,240 of 23,651
I had no intentions of selling my A18t but I’ll be honest - I would have stayed away from getting another custom if I knew both were not possible to resell (Legend X being the other). I am quite disappointed by this news, hopefully more clarification is to come.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #7,241 of 23,651
I had no intentions of selling my A18t but I’ll be honest - I would have stayed away from getting another custom if I knew both were not possible to resell (Legend X being the other). I am quite disappointed by this news, hopefully more clarification is to come.

Makes me respect brands like Custom Art, Hidition, and Jomo more personally. Even if you have to bump up prices (CA), bump them significantly (Jomo) or put limits on the number of transfers allowed (Hidition), it still provides the option of an upgrade down the line if necessary.

Not that I have any intention of selling my Viento or Samba.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #7,243 of 23,651
I’m sure it makes sense for them financially - other manufacturers have said in the past that reshelling is expensive and time consuming.

I call BS on the “stolen IEM” excuse though. It’d be trivially easy to require that the IEM is shipped by the original owner, ask for original order documentation, or even have a simple email confirmation process.
The theft excuse borders on “I got a virus and my pants fell down” quackery. Everyone knows that’s not the reason they refuse to reshell. Even a ridiculous company like Spiral Ears have the backbone to admit that reshelling is simply not profitable to them. It would be nice if 64A cut the crap and was upfront about it as well.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #7,244 of 23,651
The theft excuse borders on “I got a virus and my pants fell down” quackery. Everyone knows that’s not the reason they refuse to reshell. Even a ridiculous company like Spiral Ears have the backbone to admit that reshelling is simply not profitable to them. It would be nice if 64A cut the crap and was upfront about it as well.

I wonder what they thought they'd get out of such a transparent lie. The optics would be so much better if they just said "Hey guys, We've said in the past that we would maintain our ownership transfer service, but it is no longer profitable for us to continue to do so." upfront with some kind of future transfer service cutoff date/one-time exception for legacy owners/etc. as a middle ground.

I was considering jumping on the A12t at some point, but it's definitely not as appealing an option now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back