The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 30, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5,671 of 23,562
Interesting. Once I went balanced I never looked back. Don't know why anyone would choose unbalanced over balanced.
From my experience with AK devices, if you are listening for instrumentals only, balanced is the only way you go. But as it 'stretches' out everything including soundstage, clarity and vocal, vocals are less emotional and focused. So if you are a vocal fan, SE is a better choice.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #5,672 of 23,562
From my experience with AK devices, if you are listening for instrumentals only, balanced is the only way you go. But as it 'stretches' out everything including soundstage, clarity and vocal, vocals are less emotional and focused. So if you are a vocal fan, SE is a better choice.
With all due respect that's not my experience at all. Peace.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #5,674 of 23,562
A question. Why are you choosing the U18 and not the Fourte? Tks.
I've had a change of heart, I'm going to pull the trigger on the Solaris.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #5,675 of 23,562
I've had a change of heart, I'm going to pull the trigger on the Solaris.

I thought about getting the solaris, but it doesn't sound like it can match the A12t in prat and bass speed which is very important to me. It does sound like the solaris has an edge in timbre and has a longer decay which some prefer, but I prefer a shorter decay with the types of music that I listen to.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #5,676 of 23,562
@Spidermeng

Thinking I have something of yours...

20181130_154440.jpg

Did you get a pair of 64 customs recently? I was so confused until I saw your name on a thread, thinking they mixed up our cases

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #5,677 of 23,562
I thought about getting the solaris, but it doesn't sound like it can match the A12t in prat and bass speed which is very important to me. It does sound like the solaris has an edge in timbre and has a longer decay which some prefer, but I prefer a shorter decay with the types of music that I listen to.
What type of music do you like?

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #5,678 of 23,562
What type of music do you like?

Metal, EDM, and JPop. Yeah I know it's a weird combo, but most of my music sounds better with fast slamming bass and I can't stand muddy and blooming mids. The U12t was better to me than the Trio and everyone I talked to with the A12t said that it is better than the U12t as the better seal really makes the bass pop even harder than the universal version. If I was into jazz or classical, I would go for the solaris. Plus I found out that I'm getting a Hugo TT2 for Christmas and I don't trust CA IEMs to play well with desktop amps and the 64 Audio IEMs scale better. I've had 3 CA IEMs and all had some hiss with the Hugo/Hugo 2. I think that the CA is better tuned for DAPs than most types of amps which is why they are so sensitive and doesn't scale as well.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #5,679 of 23,562
Metal, EDM, and JPop. Yeah I know it's a weird combo, but most of my music sounds better with fast slamming bass and I can't stand muddy and blooming mids. The U12t was better to me than the Trio and everyone I talked to with the A12t said that it is better than the U12t as the better seal really makes the bass pop even harder than the universal version. If I was into jazz or classical, I would go for the solaris. Plus I found out that I'm getting a Hugo TT2 for Christmas and I don't trust CA IEMs to play well with desktop amps and the 64 Audio IEMs scale better. I've had 3 CA IEMs and all had some hiss with the Hugo/Hugo 2. I think that the CA is better tuned for DAPs than most types of amps which is why they are so sensitive and doesn't scale as well.
Okay. Sounds like you are on point! Universals scare me, in case I want to sell them in the future, I am going to look at getting custom sleeves for the Solaris!

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #5,680 of 23,562
Okay. Sounds like you are on point! Universals scare me, in case I want to sell them in the future, I am going to look at getting custom sleeves for the Solaris!

You should join some of the tours offered here. Getting to audition a few of these TOTL IEMs really helps make a tough decision a lot easier as I don't live in an asian country that has stores with them to listen to. My biggest issue with universals is getting a good seal and comfort and after talking to others who have heard the universal version and bought the CIEM version and the differences between both versions also helped with the decision process of what to buy based on what I listen to and what pairs well with my equipment.

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #5,682 of 23,562
64 Audio just updated their B-stock Sale page with some nice deals: https://www.64audio.com/store/b-stock

I'm surprised to see a handful of classic models in there, even a few U4-SE (reviewed it in the past) which I still use and consider to have one of the best price/performance ratios (at $486).

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #5,684 of 23,562
64 Audio just updated their B-stock Sale page with some nice deals: https://www.64audio.com/store/b-stock

I'm surprised to see a handful of classic models in there, even a few U4-SE (reviewed it in the past) which I still use and consider to have one of the best price/performance ratios (at $486).
Got a U4-SE last year and am really happy with it. Technically of course it's not as good as the flagships, but the tonality is so spot on that I really enjoy it.

By the way, I remember you mentioned that these IEMs share some of the drivers of the flagships, so is it okay to disclose which driver it is?

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #5,685 of 23,562
Got a U4-SE last year and am really happy with it. Technically of course it's not as good as the flagships, but the tonality is so spot on that I really enjoy it.

By the way, I remember you mentioned that these IEMs share some of the drivers of the flagships, so is it okay to disclose which driver it is?

Many flagships, in general, are usually in a category of "money is no object" if you want the best and don't care about diminishing returns. While U4-SE doesn't have the technical performance on a level of their other flagships, the tuning and having apex module at that price raises the value of price/performance ratio.

Regarding drivers, honestly I just quoted what I have been told. Sorry, I don't have any further details. It sounds great, all that matters :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back