The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 24, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #5,612 of 23,672
@64Audio just wanted to enquire whether a TOTL IEM UK/EU review tour is in the pipeline? There was some chat about it before, but after a loss/fraud incident on another tour, everything went understandably quiet for a while.
But I'm wondering if you can give a rough estimate as to when this tour might occur (assuming the idea hasn't been shelved already)? :)

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #5,613 of 23,672
I didn't feel that it was recessed. I felt that the sound signature was a slight u shape. Bass and treble are emphasized just a little bit and I loved the clarity and soundstage. The problem was getting a good seal. I think my ear canal must be odd shaped. I sometimes different tip sizes for my left and right ears. That's why I'm going with the custom version. Everyone I've talked to about this says that the A12t has great sub bass that isn't sloppy like a HD650. I tried male and female vocals and neither sounded recessed. Mids were good, but I wouldn't say that they are boosted. I think the A18 tzar on the other hand has its mids boosted so it's like a small w shape and the A12t is a small u. I dislike capital V shaped signatures with recessed mids too. On some IEMs and headphones I've owned, sometimes the mids were so recessed, you could sometimes not hear the singer very well if their range was mostly in the midrange frequency.

I currently own Shure SE 846, and looking for an upgrade in detail/soundstage. Have read many reviews on the U12t, U18t, Kaiser Encore and it seems the U12t will have the same overall signature as the SE846 with the upgrade I'm seeking. One concern I have is too much treble creating a 'lean' sound. I haven't seen many comparisons of the SE 846 to the above IEMs. Thoughts?

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #5,614 of 23,672
I currently own Shure SE 846, and looking for an upgrade in detail/soundstage. Have read many reviews on the U12t, U18t, Kaiser Encore and it seems the U12t will have the same overall signature as the SE846 with the upgrade I'm seeking. One concern I have is too much treble creating a 'lean' sound. I haven't seen many comparisons of the SE 846 to the above IEMs. Thoughts?
Well, I can tell you changing the tips make a difference in SS. Comply foams give a smaller SS, Shure yellow foams give it more air and space; my next project will be getting custom sleeves for the 846, im hoping that has a positive impact on SS. But given a choice of more SS, and less bass; i'll keep the 846's bass.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #5,615 of 23,672
I owned the SE846 years ago and it was good at that time, but U12t is far superior in every way but fit right now. The SE846 was one of the best fitting universals that I owned and I hate the fit of most universals so I went with an A12t.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #5,618 of 23,672
One concern I have is too much treble creating a 'lean' sound. I haven't seen many comparisons of the SE 846 to the above IEMs. Thoughts?

About your concern...you can stop having it. 12t is heavy in the bass and not lean at all...treble on the 12t adds detail, not leanness.

As has been said, 12t trounces 846 in virtually every aspect...it sounds like just what you're looking for. To be fair, it's old tech vs. new tech.

I've heard a bunch of 64A's mid/high-level stuff (Trio, U12t, Fourte, U18) and own the A18.

The tech in the higher end 64 audio stuff sounds really, really impressive.

EDIT - As szore calls out below, yes, it is more expensive. That said, it doesn't change anything about what's mentioned above in this post.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,619 of 23,672
I owned the SE846 years ago and it was good at that time, but U12t is far superior in every way but fit right now. The SE846 was one of the best fitting universals that I owned and I hate the fit of most universals so I went with an A12t.
It's also $700 more! (yes, I am a Shure fanboy...)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #5,620 of 23,672
About your concern...you can stop having it. 12t is heavy in the bass and not lean at all...treble on the 12t adds detail, not leanness.

As has been said, 12t trounces 846 in virtually every aspect...it sounds like just what you're looking for. To be fair, it's old tech vs. new tech.

I've heard a bunch of 64A's mid/high-level stuff (Trio, U12t, Fourte, U18) and own the A18.

It's also really, really more expensive!

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #5,622 of 23,672

Thanks for the advice! Might try to attend the NYC CanJam so I can trial the U12t and U18t. Or may just bite the bullet and get an A12t custom.

Can you comment on A12 vs A18? I've ready many reviews/comparisons, but did the A12 seem "bass heavy" to you? I love the Shure's bass, but wouldn't consider myself a bass-head. Is A12 too much of a good thing?

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #5,623 of 23,672
Thanks for the advice! Might try to attend the NYC CanJam so I can trial the U12t and U18t. Or may just bite the bullet and get an A12t custom.

Can you comment on A12 vs A18? I've ready many reviews/comparisons, but did the A12 seem "bass heavy" to you? I love the Shure's bass, but wouldn't consider myself a bass-head. Is A12 too much of a good thing?

Too bad you missed out on the 64 Audio tours. It was the thing that convinced me to get the A12t. The bass hits fast and hard, but not overdone and bloomy.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #5,624 of 23,672
Well, I can tell you changing the tips make a difference in SS. Comply foams give a smaller SS, Shure yellow foams give it more air and space; my next project will be getting custom sleeves for the 846, im hoping that has a positive impact on SS. But given a choice of more SS, and less bass; i'll keep the 846's bass.
I actually have the SpinFit earbuds, and they did add a lot of clarity to the sound without sacrificing much bass. Actually made the bass sound tighter in my opinion. Also give the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables a try - HUGE improvement in sound quality & soundstage - seems like by taking away virtually all background noise. Cheers

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #5,625 of 23,672

The A12t comes w/ the M20 and M15 modules. You can swap them out to reduce bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back