The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #5,596 of 23,651
15% off on the A12t is a bit much for me but the A6t? Definitely worth consideration. Maybe even some customization :3

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #5,597 of 23,651
15% off on the A12t is a bit much for me but the A6t? Definitely worth consideration. Maybe even some customization :3

I really liked the U12t when I got to audition them for the week, but of course you need a really good seal which is why I'm going for the CIEM version. I struggled with getting a good seal, but when I got a good seal, the U12t had great bass impact with no muddiness and the soundstage was wide and very transparent. Others have said that the A12t is much better than the U12t because it always has a good seal.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #5,598 of 23,651
I really liked the U12t when I got to audition them for the week, but of course you need a really good seal which is why I'm going for the CIEM version. I struggled with getting a good seal, but when I got a good seal, the U12t had great bass impact with no muddiness and the soundstage was wide and very transparent. Others have said that the A12t is much better than the U12t because it always has a good seal.
Ive heard that a lot about the 12t, I suspect part of the reason is Tia allowing them to devote more BAs to the lows. I considered it since the Zeus felt like bass was lacking, but I don't think the 12t would bridge that small change I want.

@Deezel177
Daniel, have you tried the A6t with Leo II?

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #5,599 of 23,651
Ive heard that a lot about the 12t, I suspect part of the reason is Tia allowing them to devote more BAs to the lows. I considered it since the Zeus felt like bass was lacking, but I don't think the 12t would bridge that small change I want.

@Deezel177
Daniel, have you tried the A6t with Leo II?

The Leo II gives the A6t excellent authority in the bass and some much-needed richness in the lower-mids. But, I reckon the lower-treble is more neutral-bright than I'd like. It's not artificial-sounding or harsh at all, but I feel like the treble and bass could be better cohered by way of a warmer cable or source. So unless your DAP has a particularly smooth and feathered lower-treble, I'd probably maintain pairing the A6t with a more neutral/warm cable. Despite being inferior technically, the stock one is an excellent tonal match IMO, if that helps. :D

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #5,600 of 23,651
The Leo II gives the A6t excellent authority in the bass and some much-needed richness in the lower-mids. But, I reckon the lower-treble is more neutral-bright than I'd like. It's not artificial-sounding or harsh at all, but I feel like the treble and bass could be better cohered by way of a warmer cable or source. So unless your DAP has a particularly smooth and feathered lower-treble, I'd probably maintain pairing the A6t with a more neutral/warm cable. Despite being inferior technically, the stock one is an excellent tonal match IMO, if that helps. :D
Also the PWaudio 1960 is an excellent cable for the A6t, not too bright but with an excellent resolution.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #5,601 of 23,651
Thanks for your A6T review. This is very well written and I think your review is the one that swing me towards the A6T instead of A8T and A12T. The sound signature is exactly what I really want in a CIEM.

"A significant dip along the upper-bass and lower-midrange segregates the low-end from the rest of the frequency response, but the fall is linear enough that coherency is absolutely maintained. "

" the A6t's 6kHz dip minimises this dynamic range for smoothness's sake. So, both have vocals that excel in construction, layering and tone, with a key differentiator being raw power vs. guaranteed smoothness."

"The A6t is also calmer around 3kHz, which makes it - again - a touch less vibrant, but it's less prone to honky-ness than the Phantom is with select tracks."

Exactly what I need. I normally EQ my CIEM to the above 3.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #5,603 of 23,651
Also the PWaudio 1960 is an excellent cable for the A6t, not too bright but with an excellent resolution.
The 1960 is literally good with anything. It better be for that price.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,604 of 23,651

Some people saying that the u12t’s mids are recessed. Is that true?

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #5,605 of 23,651
Some people saying that the u12t’s mids are recessed. Is that true?

I didn't feel that it was recessed. I felt that the sound signature was a slight u shape. Bass and treble are emphasized just a little bit and I loved the clarity and soundstage. The problem was getting a good seal. I think my ear canal must be odd shaped. I sometimes different tip sizes for my left and right ears. That's why I'm going with the custom version. Everyone I've talked to about this says that the A12t has great sub bass that isn't sloppy like a HD650. I tried male and female vocals and neither sounded recessed. Mids were good, but I wouldn't say that they are boosted. I think the A18 tzar on the other hand has its mids boosted so it's like a small w shape and the A12t is a small u. I dislike capital V shaped signatures with recessed mids too. On some IEMs and headphones I've owned, sometimes the mids were so recessed, you could sometimes not hear the singer very well if their range was mostly in the midrange frequency.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #5,606 of 23,651
Hey guys - any one have any recommendations for a full sized headphone - preferably open back - that has the same sound signature as the Tia Fourte?

I absolutely love my Tia Fourtes and would love an open back headphone for the times that I don't want to worry about the perfect fit in my ear.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #5,607 of 23,651
d8aNlnm.jpg

Hey Guys,

I got my 64 Audio Tia Fourte’s in today. I’m been listening to them all day, so I hope I can offer some further initial impressions vs. The very short ones I posted of all the 64 Audio universals the other day.

Pro’s: Amazing soundstage/imaging for a closed IEM. Very “3D.” Hyper Detailed top to bottom. Great Dynamics. Very comfortable.

Con’s: PRICE. The overall coherency of the bass/mids/treble. Treble could be too much for those sensitive to treble. Included accessories.

The packaging is pretty basic, but all that you need really. I guess they could have gone a bit more upmarket, but if that would have been reflected in the asking price, then I’m glad they kept it the way it is. The Hifiman RE2000 packaging (and this is Hifiman we are talking about) is more impressive, and even includes more tips. That is one thing I wish 64 Audio had done, more tips. Lots more. Included are single flange silicon tips in SML, and 64 Audios foam tips in SML. I’ve been going back and forth between the silicons and foam tips today, and the results have been pretty surprising. More on that later. The included cable is pretty bad in terms of ergonomics to be honest. I’d like to change to a different cable (currently using an LCDi4 cable I had lying around) at some point that is comfier and a bit less likely to get tangled. They also come with a neat little hard plastic case to keep them safe when you are travelling, which is great. So yeah, included accessories could be better, but there is enough to get you going.

In terms of tips, I prefer the sound of the 64 Audio foam tips with the Fourte. They take a tiny bit of the edge off the highs, whereas the silicon tips make the highs more pronounced. The Foams also seem to bring up the bass a *tiny* little bit, but there isn’t much difference. I find the silicon tips more comfortable, but the foam tips do sound better, so I will try to get used to the foams.

For my personal taste, the Fourte is a tiny bit bass light, but I mostly listen to electronica and do prefer a pretty robust bass response. I’ve tried bumping the bass up a couple db via EQ, and that brings the bass level more in line with my personal preferences. However, I could definitely listen to the Fourte without EQ, they aren’t bass light by any means. The bass on the Fourte seems really…textured? Lots of detail to it. Its certainly not a one note bass experience, and the sub bass is pleasant.

I can see the mids of the Fourte being a problem for some people in that they aren’t super lush and warm like a pair of LCD-2 or something similar. However, the mids are very detailed, and not sucked out sounding. They don’t sound hollow.

The Highs are both the Fourtes strongest point, and for some I would imagine their weakest point. There is a fair amount of treble. If you are treble sensitive, these would not be a good choice of earphone. There is so much air and space, and detail to the treble. It is really impressive.

The soundstage is the widest I have heard from a pair of closed back earphones. Not as wide as the LCDi4, but close. A *tiny* bit wider than the Hifiman RE2000, but with more depth. Very precise imaging.

I can see why some people don’t like these earphones, they definitely have some weaknesses. However, for my ears, their strong points are *very* strong. I definitely recommend giving Fourte a listen if you get the chance.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #5,610 of 23,651
The thing with the AK device is that, does it have enough juice to really get the N8 to perform well? In terms of power output i do not see the AK SK1k series as being the most powerful players out there, and the N8 does scale very well when you feed it with more juice.

To illustrate, I thought the N8 sounded a little dull on the SP1K copper, lifeless for lack of a better word. It improved when switched over to the 1Z. I've not had time to test it on the new LPG touch, but I have high expectations for it. Same goes too for the new cayin player.

The N8 too seems to react to cable pairing too. I had a effect horus cable lying around that I thought I might use with it since I thought it might it a little bit more transparency, but it totally threw the signature off. To me, good ole' copper seems to go best with the N8.

In short, the N8 seems remarkably sensitive to gear changes. I did not experience this large a change when trying out other iem demo units, and I honestly find myself a little surprised that changing cables could make that much of a difference.

Which means now that I once again dont have a use for that horus cable. Bought it on a whim based on the brand reputation and hype, and I regret it. Maybe I should look into selling it rather than let it collect dust.
ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back