The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #4,742 of 23,544
Can't wait for the reviews to start rolling in. Especially how it compares against the A12t.
people on the OEM (iem) shootout forum said the night (n8) is warmer and bassier than the a12t while the a12t is clearer and more technical with better performance and relatively more analytical

edit: wow autocorrect

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #4,743 of 23,544
people on the OEM shootout forum said the night is warmer and bassier than the a12t while the a12t is clearer and more technical with better performance and relatively more analytical

Also need to factor in the cable. I would use at least No 5 with it, great pair up with N8, don't need to go crazy with anything fancy (meaning, buying extra expensive cables, unless you have some already in your collection, Tri-Cu and 1960 scale up nicely with N8). The stock OFC cable will be good for musicians who are not too picky about resolution and clarity, while others might want to scale up the sound with a cable upgrade. Pair up with a pure copper seems to be working better than stock OFC, and something like No 5 is $150. Ares II, another popular pure copper cable, boost the bass, so I preferred No 5 which keeps the bass more balanced.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #4,745 of 23,544
people on the OEM (iem) shootout forum said the night (n8) is warmer and bassier than the a12t while the a12t is clearer and more technical with better performance and relatively more analytical

edit: wow autocorrect

Yes, this.
Listened to both u12t and n8 extensively at axpona in april, and I would strongly agree with the above characterization.
The n8 is warmer and softer(?) than the 12t. I found it a touch wooly on some bassy material, but not to the point of being offensive.
I ended up putting in an order for an a12t, but they were both very, very good.

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4,746 of 23,544
Has anyone every ordered with custom art? Im thinking of doing so snce I wanted to redesign the A18t logo around some art. Is there a way to get them to do it in the colours they offer for the logo? Or is it just whatever colours are in the image?

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #4,747 of 23,544
Has anyone every ordered with custom art? Im thinking of doing so snce I wanted to redesign the A18t logo around some art. Is there a way to get them to do it in the colours they offer for the logo? Or is it just whatever colours are in the image?

If your artwork isn’t too complex and is only comprised of a single colour (especially the colours they offer for the logo), 64Audio can either print the art over a transparent surface and transplant it over the faceplate, or cut out shiny foil in the shape of your artwork and paste it over the faceplate. That way, you’ll get the floating effect where the artwork above casts a slight shadow on the faceplate underneath. If your art is multi-coloured, they’ll have to print it on a white surface; whether that be a white paper-like material that’s then transferred onto the faceplate, or on the faceplate itself. With this method, you won’t have the floating effect of the first method; it’ll be more two-dimensional by comparison. But, obviously, you’d be able to print complex, multi-colour images as you so please. Fortunately, based on my experience with 64Audio, their print quality is some of the best in the industry. So, keeping each respective method’s pros and cons in mind, you should be able to produce stunning faceplates either way. :D

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,748 of 23,544
Yeah it's nothing complex, just a reworking of the logo. Is there a way to specific how you want it done when you order? There's going to be white space in the logo too, should I provide it as a render?

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #4,749 of 23,544
If your artwork isn’t too complex and is only comprised of a single colour (especially the colours they offer for the logo), 64Audio can either print the art over a transparent surface and transplant it over the faceplate, or cut out shiny foil in the shape of your artwork and paste it over the faceplate. That way, you’ll get the floating effect where the artwork above casts a slight shadow on the faceplate underneath. If your art is multi-coloured, they’ll have to print it on a white surface; whether that be a white paper-like material that’s then transferred onto the faceplate, or on the faceplate itself. With this method, you won’t have the floating effect of the first method; it’ll be more two-dimensional by comparison. But, obviously, you’d be able to print complex, multi-colour images as you so please. Fortunately, based on my experience with 64Audio, their print quality is some of the best in the industry. So, keeping each respective method’s pros and cons in mind, you should be able to produce stunning faceplates either way. :D

To add on to this, here's my A18t and A12t. With the A12t, I went with a wood faceplate and the logos on top. With the A18t, I wanted custom art as well as the logos. I was able to work with Isabel to get this done (again, 64 truly has the best customer service). The art was printed on that white-paper material so the logos can float above it.
64-audio_a18t-and-a12t.jpg

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #4,750 of 23,544
Yeah it's nothing complex, just a reworking of the logo. Is there a way to specific how you want it done when you order? There's going to be white space in the logo too, should I provide it as a render?

You can probably e-mail 64Audio's customer service to get the specifics down. Otherwise, you can upload the image onto 64Audio's web designer to get a clearer picture of what it's gonna look like.

To add on to this, here's my A18t and A12t. With the A12t, I went with a wood faceplate and the logos on top. With the A18t, I wanted custom art as well as the logos. I was able to work with Isabel to get this done (again, 64 truly has the best customer service). The art was printed on that white-paper material so the logos can float above it.

Exactly! The A18t has floating logos over a printed faceplate, while the A12t has floating logos over a wood inlay.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,751 of 23,544
Twister, did you finish reviewing N8T? how do you compare it with Tia trio and U12T. My new purchase is depending on your opinion since I can't demo any of them due to the waiting que

Full detailed review takes awhile to complete, and reviewing is not really my full time job (more like a full time at night hobby after my full time day job and full time evening 'job' as a husband and a father LOL!!!). Besides, I have at least 10 more products in my review queue. Right now I'm jumping from one iem/dap to another, gathering bits of impressions. But you gave me an idea that I probably should put a short detailed comparison-impression soon, to stack up N8 against U12t and Trio. If you are in a rush, ping me through PM and let me know about your setup (your sources and if any cables) and your sound preferences.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #4,752 of 23,544
Hmm directly from the FAQ: For best results, use PNG files with background removed (transparency layer)
So it shouldn't be an issue for my design, I'm curious about getting the colour right though, guess I'll give them a holler.

Edit: Gotta give props to 64 Audio CS yet again, fairly quick response: "You can add in the "graphics notes" section what color you want me to print them in. I've got a silver foil and gold foil, which are both very shiny."

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #4,753 of 23,544
So I went to grab a Fiio M7 and we were chatting about the 18t and the owner gave me a chance to test out the EE Phantoms suggesting I give em a consideration. I'm still scooping my brains off the floor along with that nice tingle. Anyone with comparisons of how the 18t and 6t compare? (Though the phantoms mean having to sink another 200 for impressions and shipping)

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #4,754 of 23,544
So I went to grab a Fiio M7 and we were chatting about the 18t and the owner gave me a chance to test out the EE Phantoms suggesting I give em a consideration. I'm still scooping my brains off the floor along with that nice tingle. Anyone with comparisons of how the 18t and 6t compare? (Though the phantoms mean having to sink another 200 for impressions and shipping)

Isn’t the phantoms way cheaper than the 18t?

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #4,755 of 23,544
Isn’t the phantoms way cheaper than the 18t?
Yup 1800 to the 3000 the 18t is. My odds of getting my hands on the 18t to test are slim to nil though, and if I can find something for a lower price that gives me eargasms, why not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back