The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,757 of 23,589
So I went to grab a Fiio M7 and we were chatting about the 18t and the owner gave me a chance to test out the EE Phantoms suggesting I give em a consideration. I'm still scooping my brains off the floor along with that nice tingle. Anyone with comparisons of how the 18t and 6t compare? (Though the phantoms mean having to sink another 200 for impressions and shipping)

I should be able to give you a full comparison between the Phantom and the A6t within a month. :wink:

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #4,759 of 23,589
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #4,760 of 23,589
Have it, don't like it for the u18 (decreases detail and clarity a bit, without much to show for it)

I've heard it changes the sound signature on the u18, significantly warming it up, decreasing detail and decreasing soundstage too. these last two definitely put me off it, for 500 usd I'd like to not mess with the detail retrieval and soundstage of my u18.

honestly, right now only Horus and Janus are serious candidates for a cable and both are too expensive. maybe leonidas...
I thought I heard the Lionheart before and it's just like what you said. I'd prefer to keep the neutral sound signature of the A18t and make it slightly warmer especially on vocals. Maybe I will try PW audio's flagship coppers cause 64 is using them with its new Project K. Effect audio's Eros II (+) is also a candidate now in my mind.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #4,761 of 23,589
anyone else with the a12t cable roll yet?

also, does anyone know any 3rd parties that might do tia driver reshells? i wanna see if I can get something with an acrylic filled shell or something.
no one else will do the reshells and no filled shell is possible due to vented drivers. . generally, reshells should be done by the original company since they know the product best and have spare parts if anything goes wrong. Most new iems that use BA uses vented drivers for the bass for better extension but that means that filled shells are impossible.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #4,762 of 23,589
Have it, don't like it for the u18 (decreases detail and clarity a bit, without much to show for it)

I've heard it changes the sound signature on the u18, significantly warming it up, decreasing detail and decreasing soundstage too. these last two definitely put me off it, for 500 usd I'd like to not mess with the detail retrieval and soundstage of my u18.

honestly, right now only Horus and Janus are serious candidates for a cable and both are too expensive. maybe leonidas...

I’ve been demo’ing a18s for the last few days and absolutely love their energy, width and detail, but I 100% agree that it’s one obvious deficiency is around vocals which to me sound a bit recessed and south of natural. This is until I swapped out my Leonidas, which has to date matched with pretty much anything I’ve tried it with, for my atlas Zeno iem cable. Normally this copper cable plays pretty neutrally allowing the source signature to really come through but neither adding or removing much from the signature of the Iem. With a18s however there’s a significant effect in terms of adding body to the vocals, slight reduction in width but At the same time tightening up the treble and bottom end and giving the presntation overall a slightly more organic realistic feel.
Essentially to my ears this makes the a18 pretty much near perfect. :)

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #4,763 of 23,589
So that's a no on the Leonidas for the 18t then? (Soundstage reduction on the atlas Zeno sorta rules it out for me...)

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #4,764 of 23,589
So that's a no on the Leonidas for the 18t then? (Soundstage reduction on the atlas Zeno sorta rules it out for me...)
The soundstage reduction is incredibly slight and is more to do with a slight taming of the treble extension. The benefits to the overall tone are much more noticable. And its worth pointing out that the Leo would have added width, resolution and extension in at both ends of the frequency range, over the stock cable. I find the Leo dials everything up to 11, which is addictive on IEMS like EE Phantom or Earsonics SME9 which have darker more natural signatures. Of course its all down to personal taste, so yes it may not be right for you, but Atlas to my ears is a real unsung hero that performs way beyond its price and is beautifully made too:)

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,765 of 23,589
Thank you for this information on an interesting cable. Cable advice is always very welcome. One last thing -- would the treble taming be compensated for by using the m15 module? I think another way to phrase the question would be: do you use the Atlas with m15 or 20 module?

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,766 of 23,589
Thank you for this information on an interesting cable. Cable advice is always very welcome. One last thing -- would the treble taming be compensated for by using the m15 module? I think another way to phrase the question would be: do you use the Atlas with m15 or 20 module?

The Atlas is a Campfire Audio IEM; it doesn't use APEX modules. :D

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #4,767 of 23,589
The Atlas is a Campfire Audio IEM; it doesn't use APEX modules. :D

Atlas is also a cable manufacturer that is well known in Asia though they are more common in 2 channel setups than IEMs though

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #4,768 of 23,589

Just the 20 so far:)

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #4,770 of 23,589

Users who are viewing this thread

Back