The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 23, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #3,931 of 23,565
Just playing some video games :) 7480FDB5-A017-41C1-B72A-110108C9F48E.jpeg

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #3,936 of 23,565
They all pretty much come from the same factory in China, so I would think they are the same as the 64 Audio, Dekoni, Blackbird, Inairs and more....
I think so.. but apparently there are some subtle changes in size or shape

20180424_100846.jpg 20180424_100913.jpg

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #3,938 of 23,565
Oh crap, I'm scared to read this since my a18 is on the way and I know they'll compare them 0_0

Are you worried that u12t will sound better than u/a18t? Nothing to be scared off :wink:

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #3,939 of 23,565
Are you worried that u12t will sound better than u/a18t? Nothing to be scared off :wink:

The greatest fear of audiophile is when you decide to buy TOTL but realize afterwards that your preference matches with not-TOTL iem better.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #3,940 of 23,565

Actually I would be scared.. not because its necessarily better but because it is a different tuning.. in my view the 12t is bit more balanced/natural with a smooth downward sloping frequency especially with comply.
The u18t i found is more peaky/bright in the treble. If you prefer say hd650 to hd800 sig then the u12t will sound superior

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3,941 of 23,565
It's been just over 3 months with my A12t's. I wanted to get some serious listening time in before I wrote a review. I cannot overstate, I'm in love with these IEMs. This was my first set. Over the course of 3 months I've tried a slew of DAC/AMPs, different applications. Previous to the A12t's my exposure to "head-fi" was my ATH-AD700X (which I'd owned for ~6 months). Common disclaimer: I paid for all of my equipment, I did/do not receive any perks, discounts, money or kickback for said review.

Production:
They're great, I designed my faceplates in photoshop and uploaded them through the designer. They turned out almost identical to the designer (few degrees of rotation on one overlay, nothing huge). I ordered my A12ts the weekend of their Black Friday sale; the week the A12ts were announced. I had my impressions already taken (that week) and approved via email. I placed an order that weekend, mailed my impressions the next day and began the waiting process. When the order was placed estimated build time was 3-4 weeks. The next week I confirmation of they received my impressions came. Overall, the build process took 5-6 weeks. I spoke with 64 Audio multiple times throughout this process. From what I understand, during that surge of orders their build timeline was updated to 5-6 weeks, but they failed to update their email template. My wife ordered A6s the same weekend and received them in 4 weeks. I received my A12ts after 6 weeks, while a bit disappointed, I understood the "delay."

Fit:
Quite amazing. The seal on my right ear isn't quite a good as my left ear; but I'm quite certain that's an impression issue; not a production issue. Despite reading in great detail about the process, I was a bit taken back while going through impressions and may have clenched/moved more than I thought. I guess it's just something you have to experience. The A12ts are my "be productive" switch at work. Once I pop them in and start music the world around me disappears. It often feels as though the music is being piped directly into my brain. The fit is just wonderful. I often wear my A12t's for ~10-14 hours per day. I listen to music while and I work and go home and game with them as well. I have little to no wear-fatigue.

Sound:
I have few words and am lacking the seemingly necessary experience to really communicate their sound; but I'll try. Beautiful. That's it, pure and simple. They seem to strike a delicate balance of musical and technical. Bass is present and tangible but not overpowering or drowning. Highs are crystal clear and tasteful but not overly bright or fatiguing. Mids are just right. These headphones just sound, absolutely beautiful. The sound signature has changed slightly with equipment and cable changes. But I think I've found the sweet spot for my taste and content.

DAC+AMP/Cable/Music:
  • Fiio e10k
  • Schiit Fulla 2
  • Ifi Nano iDSD BL
  • JDS Labs The Element
  • Effect Audio Eros ll+
All of the music I listen to is through Spotify in Premium mode. I predominately listen to EDM, electronic music but depending on the day may listen to Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap. As I picked up new headphones, dacs, cable, etc I always started with the same Spotify playlist (7 songs); I'm intimately familiar with this playlist and it's become my reference point. So far I've been most pleased with the The Element and the upgraded cable. I don't believe the cable has made a substantial difference, but I do believe the difference is present (maybe 5%). The Element has proven to be my favorite DAC/AMP. The Fiio, while technically clear was a bit bright and the bass felt recessed. The Fulla 2 brought some very pleasing warmth to the signature resulting in an inability to go back to the e10k. The Eros ll+ arrived and overall I was pleased. The attack/decay of the bass, or the responsiveness seemed to be improved. The noise floor seemed to drop just a bit more. The Nano BL sounded like a blend of the e10k and the Fulla 2, a little brighter but with a more full-body sound. I had issues getting both channels to activate unless the DAC was started in battery mode (requiring the battery to be charged). Ultimately I returned the Nano BL. Then came The Element. This was the perfect blend of the e10k and the Fulla 2. At every change and every combination of DAC/Cable/Headphones I went back to the same Spotify playlist. 30 seconds into my first session with The Element I heard an element of the melody I'd never heard before (it may be fair to say I'd heard that element, but wasn't able to acutely define what that portion of the melody was). I was instantly sold on the Element. I picked mine up from backstock on JDS Labs site. It arrived in pristine condition.

Overall, I'm in audio nirvana. I'm quite pleased with this setup. I do wish I could bring The Element back and forth, between home and work. I mostly listen to The Element for music at work. I keep my Schiit Fulla 2 at home for gaming. It's slightly more "hollow" compared to The Element. It's most notable in voices through Discord or in games; overall the Fulla 2 is sufficient. I am curious what A18ts sound like. But I don't feel the need to upgrade or find the A12ts lacking in any capacity.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,942 of 23,565
It's been just over 3 months with my A12t's. I wanted to get some serious listening time in before I wrote a review. I cannot overstate, I'm in love with these IEMs. This was my first set. Over the course of 3 months I've tried a slew of DAC/AMPs, different applications. Previous to the A12t's my exposure to "head-fi" was my ATH-AD700X (which I'd owned for ~6 months). Common disclaimer: I paid for all of my equipment, I did/do not receive any perks, discounts, money or kickback for said review.

Production:
They're great, I designed my faceplates in photoshop and uploaded them through the designer. They turned out almost identical to the designer (few degrees of rotation on one overlay, nothing huge). I ordered my A12ts the weekend of their Black Friday sale; the week the A12ts were announced. I had my impressions already taken (that week) and approved via email. I placed an order that weekend, mailed my impressions the next day and began the waiting process. When the order was placed estimated build time was 3-4 weeks. The next week I confirmation of they received my impressions came. Overall, the build process took 5-6 weeks. I spoke with 64 Audio multiple times throughout this process. From what I understand, during that surge of orders their build timeline was updated to 5-6 weeks, but they failed to update their email template. My wife ordered A6s the same weekend and received them in 4 weeks. I received my A12ts after 6 weeks, while a bit disappointed, I understood the "delay."

Fit:
Quite amazing. The seal on my right ear isn't quite a good as my left ear; but I'm quite certain that's an impression issue; not a production issue. Despite reading in great detail about the process, I was a bit taken back while going through impressions and may have clenched/moved more than I thought. I guess it's just something you have to experience. The A12ts are my "be productive" switch at work. Once I pop them in and start music the world around me disappears. It often feels as though the music is being piped directly into my brain. The fit is just wonderful. I often wear my A12t's for ~10-14 hours per day. I listen to music while and I work and go home and game with them as well. I have little to no wear-fatigue.

Sound:
I have few words and am lacking the seemingly necessary experience to really communicate their sound; but I'll try. Beautiful. That's it, pure and simple. They seem to strike a delicate balance of musical and technical. Bass is present and tangible but not overpowering or drowning. Highs are crystal clear and tasteful but not overly bright or fatiguing. Mids are just right. These headphones just sound, absolutely beautiful. The sound signature has changed slightly with equipment and cable changes. But I think I've found the sweet spot for my taste and content.

DAC+AMP/Cable/Music:
  • Fiio e10k
  • Schiit Fulla 2
  • Ifi Nano iDSD BL
  • JDS Labs The Element
  • Effect Audio Eros ll+
All of the music I listen to is through Spotify in Premium mode. I predominately listen to EDM, electronic music but depending on the day may listen to Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap. As I picked up new headphones, dacs, cable, etc I always started with the same Spotify playlist (7 songs); I'm intimately familiar with this playlist and it's become my reference point. So far I've been most pleased with the The Element and the upgraded cable. I don't believe the cable has made a substantial difference, but I do believe the difference is present (maybe 5%). The Element has proven to be my favorite DAC/AMP. The Fiio, while technically clear was a bit bright and the bass felt recessed. The Fulla 2 brought some very pleasing warmth to the signature resulting in an inability to go back to the e10k. The Eros ll+ arrived and overall I was pleased. The attack/decay of the bass, or the responsiveness seemed to be improved. The noise floor seemed to drop just a bit more. The Nano BL sounded like a blend of the e10k and the Fulla 2, a little brighter but with a more full-body sound. I had issues getting both channels to activate unless the DAC was started in battery mode (requiring the battery to be charged). Ultimately I returned the Nano BL. Then came The Element. This was the perfect blend of the e10k and the Fulla 2. At every change and every combination of DAC/Cable/Headphones I went back to the same Spotify playlist. 30 seconds into my first session with The Element I heard an element of the melody I'd never heard before (it may be fair to say I'd heard that element, but wasn't able to acutely define what that portion of the melody was). I was instantly sold on the Element. I picked mine up from backstock on JDS Labs site. It arrived in pristine condition.

Overall, I'm in audio nirvana. I'm quite pleased with this setup. I do wish I could bring The Element back and forth, between home and work. I mostly listen to The Element for music at work. I keep my Schiit Fulla 2 at home for gaming. It's slightly more "hollow" compared to The Element. It's most notable in voices through Discord or in games; overall the Fulla 2 is sufficient. I am curious what A18ts sound like. But I don't feel the need to upgrade or find the A12ts lacking in any capacity.

Great impressions! I'm sure 64 could fatten the canal a bit for you on the side where it's loose-I would get that done. I know streaming is awesome, I do most of my listening this way: s8+ bandcamp via Bluetooth -> Hugo2. For critical listening I use UAPP in FLAC with Hugo2 wired. But at least once in a quite room give the A12t's a listen with FLAC in offline mode(airplane mode) from your best source, see what the A12t's are capable of. I don't know yet because I haven't heard them but I'm sure they'll scale with better sources/data and I'm sure you'd love to hear even a bit higher quality from them. Great job.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,943 of 23,565
Great impressions! I'm sure 64 could fatten the canal a bit for you on the side where it's loose-I would get that done. I know streaming is awesome, I do most of my listening this way: s8+ bandcamp via Bluetooth -> Hugo2. For critical listening I use UAPP in FLAC with Hugo2 wired. But at least once in a quite room give the A12t's a listen with FLAC in offline mode(airplane mode) from your best source, see what the A12t's are capable of. I don't know yet because I haven't heard them but I'm sure they'll scale with better sources/data and I'm sure you'd love to hear even a bit higher quality from them. Great job.

I sent mine in to have the canal fattened, they did it for free and were really helpful. I haven’t gotten them back yet but you should give that a shot

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #3,944 of 23,565
I sent mine in to have the canal fattened, they did it for free and were really helpful. I haven’t gotten them back yet but you should give that a shot
I'll wait to see your impressions post flattening! Is flattening the general solution when you can't quite identify what's causing the seal to not be quite as good? Because I'm unable to identify or help determine what's actually "not right" about the seal. The seal is complete while seated, but it seems to break before my left ear if a movement were to cause the break. I'm pretty content and am afraid of making things worse to be honest.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,945 of 23,565
I'll wait to see your impressions post flattening! Is flattening the general solution when you can't quite identify what's causing the seal to not be quite as good? Because I'm unable to identify or help determine what's actually "not right" about the seal. The seal is complete while seated, but it seems to break before my left ear if a movement were to cause the break. I'm pretty content and am afraid of making things worse to be honest.

I basically sent them a message and said “is it normal for there to be a squishy noise when I move slightly” and they said no and told me about fattening. They said it was very common, easy procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back