The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #2,221 of 23,560
Foam tips are best for U18t. Silicon tips matching causes a smaller stage and somewhat excessive treble. Comply tips are better than bundle foam tips, and I ordered crystal foam tips to find a better matching.

Have you lost any clarity/detail using universal IEM? I tried layla 2 universal and it lacks the clarity comparing to A18.

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2,222 of 23,560
Have you lost any clarity/detail using universal IEM? I tried layla 2 universal and it lacks the clarity comparing to A18.
Usually I dont like foam tips with other iems(Zeus xra, Andromeda, se846 etc..), but u18t is different. Nice clarity with appropriate amount of bass. Silicon tips matching is too sibilant and has a excessive treble to me.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #2,223 of 23,560
Ok, thanks for sharing. I suppose there isn't much difference between the two. I already have A18=U18 so I am seriously considering Forte. I wish I have full story on this expensive iem.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #2,224 of 23,560
So is the entire lineup from bottom to the top getting a Tia revamp for the new year? That's the only plausible reason I can think of for all the U-series being wiped off the site.

Also, for any of you on the fence about the A-series upgrade program (which is ending soon) I would highly recommend it. The whole apex tech really does wonders for soundstage and listening fatigue. I've been holding out on a full-blown review of my A8s until I get my Trios to do even more comparisons.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #2,225 of 23,560
Pictures?

First two pictures are of the left earpiece (the deep one) and the third is the right one. Concerning after a week of ownership and considering i treat them so delicately. I keep them in their case with the stock tips on at all times so there would have been no possibility of impact to the nozzle.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 09.05.22.png Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 09.05.35.png Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 09.05.49.png

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #2,226 of 23,560
First two pictures are of the left earpiece (the deep one) and the third is the right one. Concerning after a week of ownership and considering i treat them so delicately. I keep them in their case with the stock tips on at all times so there would have been no possibility of impact to the nozzle.

I've been using mine pretty regularly for the last few months on my daily commute, and no issue with damage to the stems at all. I do look after my gear and transport it in a carry case (not the 64 Audio one), but I'd hardly day I wrap them in cotton wool.

May be worth reaching out to 64 Audio customer service after they Christmas shutdown and seeing what they say - pretty sure this isn't normal or expected, especially not in this price bracket.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #2,227 of 23,560

Definitely looks like an issue with the 3D printing process. Materials tend to have poorer tensile and shear strength compared to your run-of-the-mill injection-molded parts, especially when the surfaces at the stem aren't smoothed as your photos show and cracks can propagate easily. Certainly good justification for the new universals all having CNC milled aluminum shells. Get in touch with their support team, I've had nothing but good experiences with them and they certainly take care of their customers!

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #2,228 of 23,560
Hey guys, looking to buy a 3.5 TRRS balanced cable to pair my upcoming A18t (with hm901), any recommendations? Budget around 300 bucks. Thanks!
I think a very interesting cable to consider is the MS x Effect Audio 'Eos'. It's a modifed version of Ares II with a musically neutral sound. One of my personal favorites at the monent, costs $220.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #2,229 of 23,560
Definitely looks like an issue with the 3D printing process. Materials tend to have poorer tensile and shear strength compared to your run-of-the-mill injection-molded parts, especially when the surfaces at the stem aren't smoothed as your photos show and cracks can propagate easily. Certainly good justification for the new universals all having CNC milled aluminum shells. Get in touch with their support team, I've had nothing but good experiences with them and they certainly take care of their customers!

Thanks, my first thought was the 3D printing process. As i understand the plastic is deposited in layers so i can imagine if these layers aren't properly bonded to one another this could cause weakneses to form, and with the stems being the thinnest point i can see how these weak areas can break off easily.

I don't wish to deter anyone from making a purchase as i've heard nothing but good things about 64 Audio, and as you said their new CNC shells will prevent this from happening which is good news.

I will reach out to them and see what solution they can offer.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,230 of 23,560
Thanks, my first thought was the 3D printing process. As i understand the plastic is deposited in layers so i can imagine if these layers aren't properly bonded to one another this could cause weakneses to form, and with the stems being the thinnest point i can see how these weak areas can break off easily.

I don't wish to deter anyone from making a purchase as i've heard nothing but good things about 64 Audio, and as you said their new CNC shells will prevent this from happening which is good news.

I will reach out to them and see what solution they can offer.

I agree. That does not look good. You should certainly find out if they're willing to send you another. They probably will, as that looks like a true defect in build quality. They are not supposed to chip away that easy.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,231 of 23,560
Ok, thanks for sharing. I suppose there isn't much difference between the two. I already have A18=U18 so I am seriously considering Forte. I wish I have full story on this expensive iem.
I think u18t only can show its full potential with foam tips. I was told that Lear company's foam tips also good. I will post impressions after I get the tips.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,232 of 23,560
I think a very interesting cable to consider is the MS x Effect Audio 'Eos'. It's a modifed version of Ares II with a musically neutral sound. One of my personal favorites at the monent, costs $220.
Thank you for the recommendation! I just checked their website and looks like the 3.5mm balanced connector is not a stock option. Will reach out to see if that's doable.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #2,235 of 23,560
If I may also ask, any idea how does EOS compare with Ares II+?
Less bassy and thick, more balanced sounding.
Ergonomics are better and the plugs and solder are different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back