The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 28, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #737 of 23,560
i think balanced armature in ears are as close you can get to electrostatic sound, the speed and articulation of notes is a lot closer to electrostatic headphones than any dynamic
er4s are called poor man Stax not by accident
of course that's just my opinion
If that is the case, I would suspect it is more likely due to the specific tuning than the type of driver; even among BA iems the difference between tunings are vast. I briefly heard the KSE1500 and also found it a different type of sound, but my seal wasn't optimal.

I just want to be careful with the statement I make, as I personally don't have enough experience with electrostats to make a valid comparison. Other opinions are more than welcome :wink:

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #738 of 23,560
If that is the case, I would suspect it is more likely due to the specific tuning than the type of driver; even among BA iems the difference between tunings are vast. I briefly heard the KSE1500 and also found it a different type of sound, but my seal wasn't optimal.

I just want to be careful with the statement I make, as I personally don't have enough experience with electrostats to make a valid comparison. Other opinions are more than welcome :wink:
i tried briefly lower end Stax before and i have old modded electret dynamic hybrid, i love the treble of electrostatics, is so smooth yet extended

May 28, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #739 of 23,560

Did you like the sound of the KSE1500? Or can't you say anything because of the not optimal seal?

May 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #740 of 23,560
Hi,

Thank you for the review.
I notice a really brief mention of the 009 in the review.
Overall, that is my target: mimicking my KGST + 009 set-up on the go.
This means the speed, airiness, resolution, but mostly emotion and shivers when called for.

How would you describe the difference between the A18 and the 009?
From your experience, is the A18'the closest one can get to the 009?

Cheers
The 009 is unique in its signature in a etheric sense. It has a big feeling like angles singing. However, this is not great across all genres in my experience. Nothing tops the 009 with classical music. This opinion all changed during this years RMAF in Denver when the 009 was hooked up to the Spring DAC with the Blue Hawaii. All of a sudden, there was a new thickness to the note and an awesome bass presence. The Blue Hawaii with the previous DAC, didn't have this power/detail/bass. So the setup matters a lot with the 009. The A18 sounds like the 009 with the Spring DAC.

There is another electrostat CIEM that I have not heard, but has the reputation of sounding a bit like the 009. But the thinner non-Spring DAC version.

In the end, the A18 sounds like an exotic full sized headphone even hooked up to my iPhone which is an accomplishment on its own. Paired with my Calyx M, I feel like I could go head to head with the 009.

May 28, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #742 of 23,560
I would like to know as to why most purchased the Tzar instead of the Fourte, is there something that the Fourte lacks?

Perhaps the $600 price difference and the fact the U18 sound can be changed using the extra module?

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #743 of 23,560
I listened to a friend's tF a couple weeks ago after he had just received them and felt the bass was on the lightweight side and the high frequencies were hyper detailed. Since they were brand new, I figured some play time would improve the sound. Today, I listened to them again and it was like a totally different IEM: the bass was full sounding and highs were much smoother, to the point where the tF or the U18 is on my desire to own list.

Great sound!

May 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #744 of 23,560
May 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #745 of 23,560
May 28, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #746 of 23,560
I would like to know as to why most purchased the Tzar instead of the Fourte, is there something that the Fourte lacks?

I think the problem is not that most purchased A/U18 Tzar, but more people received it already due to a slower production ramp up of Tia Fourte. Give it a little more time, there will be more Fourte impressions and comparison, especially since U18/Fourte tour is underway....

May 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #748 of 23,560
i saw some ppl selling their u12. Just wonder that they gonna upgrade to u18 or what lolz. Actually I'm interested in u18 too, but will it worth to upgrade from u12 ? Btw anyone has compared u18 and w900 yet ? My w900 is making.

Still going down my review queue, very soon will be getting to U18 and certainly will compare to W900, U12, etc.

May 28, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #749 of 23,560
i saw some ppl selling their u12. Just wonder that they gonna upgrade to u18 or what lolz. Actually I'm interested in u18 too, but will it worth to upgrade from u12 ? Btw anyone has compared u18 and w900 yet ? My w900 is making.

I sold my U12 and Vega after I received W900 because I found I just wasn't reaching for them anymore.

I'm curious about Tzar and Fourté; fortunately I have no way to demo them, because I really shouldn't poor-chase either one :grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back