The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 30, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #766 of 23,565
If you are asking me, the Fourte' doesn't come in a custom format yet so it was not an option. In trying it, the fit didn't need to be perfect to get the incredible sound it produced, but comparing my A18 custom fit to the U18 and Fourte, the A18 was always perfect requiring no fiddling. My ears have an extreme bend that makes getting a good seal with universals very difficult. As has been said many times on Headfi, once you go custom, you rarely come back.

However, in a perfect world, I will own both as they serve very different purposes for me. So I am hoping to see 64 Audio launch the custom Fourte' this year........gotta have something to hope for. :relaxed:1111111
I thought I was the only one with the sharp bend in my ear. I had the same issue with universals. . . They never stayed in my ears, or if they did, they hurt like hell. . .It wasn't until I went to see an audiologist that I found out about the bed. Once I went custom. . . I haven't been able to look back. . . I own the A18 Tzar, and it really is just something different altogether in it's presentation...

May 30, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #767 of 23,565
If you are asking me, the Fourte' doesn't come in a custom format yet so it was not an option. In trying it, the fit didn't need to be perfect to get the incredible sound it produced, but comparing my A18 custom fit to the U18 and Fourte, the A18 was always perfect requiring no fiddling. My ears have an extreme bend that makes getting a good seal with universals very difficult. As has been said many times on Headfi, once you go custom, you rarely come back.

However, in a perfect world, I will own both as they serve very different purposes for me. So I am hoping to see 64 Audio launch the custom Fourte' this year........gotta have something to hope for. :relaxed:1111111

Exactly custom Forte is the way to go.

Yes, definitely! It sounds like the tia tech might actually be a game-changer, and I'm very curious to learn more about how it compares to more traditional IEMs (although I suppose BA/DD hybrid isn't really that traditional). My primary IEMs for the last 3 years have been the tralucent ref 1s mostly because, while flawed, they have such an alive and unique presentation. I'm looking for an upgrade and seem to be gravitating between the w900 and tia fourte.

The A18's also have this alive sound that 64 has tuned into the Forte as well.

I will need to give the Fourte another listen.
I was less pleased with it than both the 18 and Dita Dream when I listened to it at an event, but your comments convinced me that I should try it again.
Why? Because you articulated what I am looking for in audio while never having been able to express it: "effortless" and not "trying to impress".

Thanks to you I can finally have words to describe why I like the Stax 009 or why I chose the Dream over the Jomo TOTLs...., but now also looking forward to giving the Fourte another chance.

Sounds like you like a warm laid back signature. The A18 isn't laid back but it's so vivid, clear and simultaneously effortless.

I thought I was the only one with the sharp bend in my ear. I had the same issue with universals. . . They never stayed in my ears, or if they did, they hurt like hell. . .It wasn't until I went to see an audiologist that I found out about the bed. Once I went custom. . . I haven't been able to look back. . . I own the A18 Tzar, and it really is just something different altogether in it's presentation...

Yes, A18 is very different from most of the signatures I have heard as well.

so w900 is better than vega and u12 ? I'm in the u18 tour, but the wait is really long.

Just forget about it, don't think about it. Time will go faster that way, be happy you're a part of the tour. You'll be way more upset when you have to send? U18 and Forte to the next person, trust me.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #768 of 23,565
been reading a lot on this thread

i have the a12, impressed by its presentation but the top end kinda lack for me

was wonderin if someone can make A/Bs between a/u18 vs layla ll
and fourte vs jh lola vs 1plus2.2

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #769 of 23,565
Exactly custom Forte is the way to go.

Yes, A18 is very different from most of the signatures I have heard as well.

With my ears well trained by the likes of ER4s for more than a decade and the UERRs for quite some time I find myself quite easily accustomed and warmed to my U18's signature (or lack thereof). Even more brutally detailed than those two, but a tiny bit warmer to make everything easier on the ears.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #770 of 23,565
Finally have a chance to demo the U18.
To me, the way the U18 presents the music is different from fourte.
I found that the fourte is a more fun and musical sounding iem.
I am not sure if it is me only, I also found the lower end of U18 a bit overwhelming in quantity, while fourte's bass has more kick.
Quite a number of people said U18 is the big brother of U10, but to me the U18 reminds me of the U12.
After 5 minutes, I took off the U18 and I got back to the fourte.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #771 of 23,565
Finally have a chance to demo the U18.
To me, the way the U18 presents the music is different from fourte.
I found that the fourte is a more fun and musical sounding iem.
I am not sure if it is me only, I also found the lower end of U18 a bit overwhelming in quantity, while fourte's bass has more kick.
Quite a number of people said U18 is the big brother of U10, but to me the U18 reminds me of the U12.
After 5 minutes, I took off the U18 and I got back to the fourte.

Funny that...........to me the U18 can't be more polar opposite to the much more warm sounding U12. And I have only heard comments about the bass of U18 being UNDERwhelming, while I find it almost dead-on accurate and always on the polite side of neutral. The fourte's bass does packs more kick but that's pretty much expected as that's the main purpose for placing a DD in it. When I tried the ~150 hours burnt in fourte the bass still sounds a tiny bit wooly at times - it'll probably improve over time though. The U18 got more inner details in the bass (and actually across the whole frequency range but more obvious in the bass), which is not always as important to the listening experience as inner details in the mid-highs, but does shine through the mix for some music.

Everyone got their own preferences..........to me the U18 is a one of a kind top top notch performer while the fourte.........well, it's good, but nothing spectacular, and it falls some distance behind my Vega for a similar sort of signature, even though the Vega does everything with a single DD (BIG CAVEAT: my Vega is well stewed and cooked for god knows how long, while the fourte I tried longest is ~150hrs warmed up). The fourte.....Great effort, but not quite there yet.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #772 of 23,565
Willing to trade my mint Final Lab II for a Tia Fourte if anyone is keen. I have an advert up, or you can PM me. Cheers. Now back to the 64 Audio talk......

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #773 of 23,565
N

Putting cost aside, if the W900 is a headphone you really like the odds are high you'll find yourself quite moved by the Fourte.

My pocketbook surely did not want to hear that :frowning2:

I, myself, can't wait!

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #775 of 23,565
Modules make a big difference with the 18, which modules were you guys using?
I second that, it sounds like you guys are comparing the M20 to the M15. The 18s have two very distinct personalities which is one of the reasons that it is so fun - versatility.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #776 of 23,565
I second that, it sounds like you guys are comparing the M20 to the M15. The 18s have two very distinct personalities which is one of the reasons that it is so fun - versatility.

Right, looking forward to any future modules 64 makes because I know the A18 will make the changes dramatic.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #779 of 23,565
A18 vs Fourte vs W900 vs Zeus XRA anyone ?

Tough choice.

A18: visceral, punchy bass + A very 'sharp' and exciting sound

Fourte: extremely coherent, lovely mids

W900: neutral yet engaging sound, the most flat of the four

XRA: Very airy with good imaging and treble

Resolution, from my testing, goes from: Fourte > A18 > XRA > W900, they're all good though.

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #780 of 23,565
Tough choice.

A18: visceral, punchy bass + A very 'sharp' and exciting sound

Fourte: extremely coherent, lovely mids

W900: neutral yet engaging sound, the most flat of the four

XRA: Very airy with good imaging and treble

Resolution, from my testing, goes from: Fourte > A18 > XRA > W900, they're all good though.

At this level of the game it all comes down to signature preference which must be decided by personal testing each out. If there is absolutely no way you are gonna try them out, I am fairly sure you won't be disappointed in getting any one of these without trying.

I have also auditioned all 4...........CAVEAT is I own the U18 and I did not have the chance to try out the W900 until after I have acquired my U18. The others I have tried roughly at the same time, spending most time with the 64 offerings partly cos I already own the Arthur and not exactly prepared to get the XRA unless the surprise is big enough.

My take on resolution alone is U18>=XRA>W900>>>Fourte. Thing is, the Fourte resolution is already top notch, but the U18 and the XRA are other-worldly resolving and other factors aside must be the very, very best in the world at the mo, with the W900 isn't too far behind. The best bit about the Fourte is the overall musicality......and the best frequency range is the full mids from lo-mid to hi-mids. Bass is also more prominent than the 18. The resolution isn't the main thing about these and critical listening brings up very minor shortcomings across the frequency range. The 18s on the other hand is the closest thing to perfect all across the board. If the Fourte makes you move, the 18s makes you smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back