The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 27, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #14,731 of 23,688
It’s probably just me, idk what it was but nothing about the fourte I liked, I cringed and took them off immediately when I tried them, that’s why I had some hesitations trying your trio at the time :p

If you can, you should try both Trio and Fourte side by side. Not disagreeing with what you’ve heard, just interesting to observe the wide opinions.

I’m just going to go on with what I hear with my own ears myself. Thanks all for the feedback and comments.

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #14,732 of 23,688
Apparently 64 Audio re-tuned the DD of the original Fourte to a warmer and richer low-end response for the Noirs. It is supposed to sound more bassy than Fourte and has been confirmed by a few folks.
Interesting, thanks for letting me know :) Hope to hear an OG Fourte one day.

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #14,733 of 23,688
In his video, mr X said he prefer the original Fourte over the Noir. To each their own.

However, i can relate to what he said about the differences after I have heard the Fourte with my own ears. I can’t compare to Noirs obviously but I find Fourte bass is slightly less than the awesome Odin bass and is not over done. If u listen carefully it is not lacking in bass in any sense. Low reaches deep sub bass level and just as textured. Bass quantity is not too much but is very well balanced IMO and for my taste. Mid is slightly pulled back, it’s presentation is something like the Trio mid but with full body and details. In a way Fourte has an overall presentation that feels like the music is being played in front of you rather than forward and next to you. Space and stage is the biggest I’ve heard. But the most part I like about the Fourte is the treble. It is so detailed yet ethereal that I have not heard before. It is elevated but not harsh or sharp. I don’t know if the treble really sounds like ribbon or horn tweeters as what mr X said but I really like it very much.

Now still debating whether to get the loan unit or get a complete new set with the new logo and packaging from 64 Audio...

edit: typo - mr X

If you say 64a returned the fourté then definitely go for the new one, but your loaner unit has the new tuning already?

I am quiet surprised as I was really unaware of the new tunning if thats true hmmm very intrigued!

I know for a fact the old tuning vs the new noir is a night and day difference as I did a/b them side by side and I did hear the same old original tuning of the fourte!

You cant miss it, it has high elevated treble which is sharp and unmistakable lol, thinner lighter sound then the noirs and super amazingly tuned DD.

If the new fourte is more a la noirs tuning but with materials inside not same as noirs, then to me its a clear choice noirs are the one to go with!

I highly recommend you go with a pure silver cable, I found it brings immense results and everything just sound way better.

Apparently 64 Audio re-tuned the DD of the original Fourte to a warmer and richer low-end response for the Noirs. It is supposed to sound more bassy than Fourte and has been confirmed by a few folks.

Crazy awesome!

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #14,734 of 23,688
If you say 64a returned the fourté then definitely go for the new one, but your loaner unit has the new tuning already?

I am quiet surprised as I was really unaware of the new tunning if thats true hmmm very intrigued!

I know for a fact the old tuning vs the new noir is a night and day difference as I did a/b them side by side and I did hear the same old original tuning of the fourte!

You cant miss it, it has high elevated treble which is sharp and unmistakable lol, thinner lighter sound then the noirs and super amazingly tuned DD.

If the new fourte is more a la noirs tuning but with materials inside not same as noirs, then to me its a clear choice noirs are the one to go with!

I highly recommend you go with a pure silver cable, I found it brings immense results and everything just sound way better.

Crazy awesome!

No idea if the loaner is a re-tuned Fourte vs the original Fourte. I’ll be quite surprised if 64 Audio re-tuned the flagship after release but can’t discount that they may have made minor improvements over the years. Anyway, it is not a new set but a used set and have been fully burned in (if you believe in burn-in). I listened and paired it with the both the stock Noirs 8-wire cable and the Silver Premium cable. Source was SP2000 and SP1000+Amp. They sounded good to me and there was absolutely no weird trebles.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #14,736 of 23,688
I just purchased a b stock Nio. I’ve been following this thread for a little bit, and I know there’s been discussion on the topic, but what’s the consensus on the best Fir module? Should I just wait and see what module works best for me of the ones that come with the Nio?

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #14,737 of 23,688
I just purchased a b stock Nio. I’ve been following this thread for a little bit, and I know there’s been discussion on the topic, but what’s the consensus on the best Fir module? Should I just wait and see what module works best for me of the ones that come with the Nio?

Yes, it is best to hear for yourself as we all have different preferences. With the A12t, I like the M15 the best.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #14,738 of 23,688
Out of the fir modules, the N0 is best just by virtue that the other 3 modules are all very close to the m15 and m20 modules that are already there, so they are kind of redundant.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #14,739 of 23,688
I really like the N- with the Nio. Cleans up the bass quality a bit for me

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #14,742 of 23,688
Is this known as N13?
Yes I think so. I've been trying out the MX/Fir 0/M15 this morning with various vocal tracks. There's something slightly 'off' about the Fir 0, especially with female vocals. Can't quite put my finger on it but compared to the MX/M15 there seems to be a bit of glassiness in the trailing 'breathy' edges of some female vocals. Small margins, I know, but these are the things I get obsessed with when closely listening and comparing. Pity because Fir 0 bass sits right in the sweet spot between the MX neutral-warm and the M15 warm-powerful. I guess if female vocals weren't my go-to I'd use the Fir 0 more regularly. Really nice to have the choice of all these sound profiles and signatures with the same IEM. The Nio is quite exceptional really.

Also been switching between Xelastec and Spiral Dot, with the former winning our for focus and sharpness and the latter for more organic, more diffuse/wider, gentler sound. Two very distinct experiences depending on the tips. Another feather in the Nio's cap for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #14,743 of 23,688
Yes I think so. I've been trying out the MX/Fir 0/M15 this morning with various vocal tracks. There's something slightly 'off' about the Fir 0, especially with female vocals. Can't quite put my finger on it but compared to the MX/M15 there seems to be a bit of glassiness in the trailing 'breathy' edges of some female vocals. Small margins, I know, but these are the things I get obsessed with when closely listening and comparing. Pity because Fir 0 bass sits right in the sweet spot between the MX neutral-warm and the M15 warm-powerful. I guess if female vocals weren't my go-to I'd use the Fir 0 more regularly. Really nice to have the choice of all these sound profiles and signatures with the same IEM. The Nio is quite exceptional really.

Also been switching between Xelastec and Spiral Dot, with the former winning our for focus and sharpness and the latter for more organic, more diffuse/wider, gentler sound. Two very distinct experiences depending on the tips. Another feather in the Nio's cap for sure.

I'm still awaiting for my Nio and U18t to come, want to try different APEX combination, reading everyone's experience with NIO, I feel like M15 suits me the most.
Will pit them both with Solaris and Phantom (also otw) and will let go 1 or 2 of them that didn't suit me

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #14,744 of 23,688
I'm still awaiting for my Nio and U18t to come, want to try different APEX combination, reading everyone's experience with NIO, I feel like M15 suits me the most.
Will pit them both with Solaris and Phantom (also otw) and will let go 1 or 2 of them that didn't suit me
Nio soundstage goes from 2D (M15) to 3D (MX). Depth and layering is actually quite superb once you lift the slight veil of the M15 midbass, though of course you'll want to switch to M15 when bass needs to be front and centre. MX puts the focus squarely on vocals with instruments in support, whereas M15 melds them together more cohesively. Very cool to be able to switch between the two. MX is now my go to with anything vocal driven, such as girl/guy-guitar. It never gets too intense though. That's where Trio comes in, but that's another discussion entirely.

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #14,745 of 23,688
Nio soundstage goes from 2D (M15) to 3D (MX). Depth and layering is actually quite superb once you lift the slight veil of the M15 midbass, though of course you'll want to switch to M15 when bass needs to be front and centre. MX puts the focus squarely on vocals with instruments in support, whereas M15 melds them together more cohesively. Very cool to be able to switch between the two. MX is now my go to with anything vocal driven, such as girl/guy-guitar. It never gets too intense though. That's where Trio comes in, but that's another discussion entirely.

Nice. I'll be sure to fiddle around with the modules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back