The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 18, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #13,636 of 23,560
Picked up a Noir from classifieds. Really excited about trying this one out. Should have it on Monday.

Wooo ! Awaiting your impressions! You will compare it vs M5 😛

JH Audio and Empire Ears both have IEMs / CIEMS under $1000, I think both have three models with the lowest one being a few hundred dollars. They get all the lower priced buyers and 64 Audio is missing that crowd.

64audio is for the pro user no need to go fiio or ibasso level.

I am totally fine with 64a selection and its all quality why introduce low end iems when we want the top performance?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #13,637 of 23,560
JH Audio and Empire Ears both have IEMs / CIEMS under $1000, I think both have three models with the lowest one being a few hundred dollars. They get all the lower priced buyers and 64 Audio is missing that crowd.
Point of fact 64 Audio do have 2 ciems in that sector, the a2e and a3e. It's just they seem a tad underwhelming when compared to others.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #13,638 of 23,560
I am totally fine with 64a selection and its all quality why introduce low end iems when we want the top performance?

Correction. We want the top performance. People that think it is crazy to spend over $1000 for an IEM probably are not looking for top performance or they wouldn't buy the bottom models. :wink:

Of course they might not be able to afford the top performance prices forcing them to buy lower end models.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #13,639 of 23,560
My feeling is that like any pro/prestige brand, there's a limit to how much 64 can 'downscale'. I mean Ferrari might release a 'value' sedan but it would still likely cost more than the top model from the actual value sedan makers, and if they tried to shoot any lower, it simply wouldn't be a Ferrari anymore (and least in anything but name).

So there's no point in 64 d***** about in the $500 pool (for example) when their value and expertise is for live performers and audiophiles. It will probably defocus them from the real goal (high performance IEMs), which is not what you want.

That said, were they to innovate and release a true wireless high-end IEM for example, that could be interesting and shake up the market in a very real way. It still won't attract the Beats and AirPods crowd, but that's not the target anyway.

Let's keep in mind 64 is still a niche, boutique company that makes IEMs by hand. Unless you want that to change, let's be careful what we wish for.

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #13,640 of 23,560
I actually find the 64 Audio shells remarkably light and comfortable. One of their biggest selling points for me actually.
It's more the nozzle combined with the metal shells than the weight itself. The shells are light enough that if the nozzle fit for my left ear had a proper fit, there wouldn't be an issue. But the fit offers little to no support.

The angled nozzle really doesn't do it for me....

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #13,641 of 23,560
It's more the nozzle combined with the metal shells than the weight itself. The shells are light enough that if the nozzle fit for my left ear had a proper fit, there wouldn't be an issue. But the fit offers little to no support.

The angled nozzle really doesn't do it for me....
It's weird, I actually feel like I wish they were angled slightly more to give me a better fit. As they are right now, they rest on my antitragus which tends to become a pressure point causing some discomfort over time.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #13,642 of 23,560
My feeling is that like any pro/prestige brand, there's a limit to how much 64 can 'downscale'. I mean Ferrari might release a 'value' sedan but it would still likely cost more than the top model from the actual value sedan makers, and if they tried to shoot any lower, it simply wouldn't be a Ferrari anymore (and least in anything but name).

So there's no point in 64 d***** about in the $500 pool (for example) when their value and expertise is for live performers and audiophiles. It will probably defocus them from the real goal (high performance IEMs), which is not what you want.

That said, were they to innovate and release a true wireless high-end IEM for example, that could be interesting and shake up the market in a very real way. It still won't attract the Beats and AirPods crowd, but that's not the target anyway.

Let's keep in mind 64 is still a niche, boutique company that makes IEMs by hand. Unless you want that to change, let's be careful what we wish for.

I get exactly what you mean, and for the same reason hope they never actually try anything wireless.

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #13,643 of 23,560
It's weird, I actually feel like I wish they were angled slightly more to give me a better fit. As they are right now, they rest on my antitragus which tends to become a pressure point causing some discomfort over time.
Ear anatomy is weird. After 3 years of owning iems, I've determined that my right ear gobbles everything up regardless of angle nozzle, but my left reason will simply spit out anything not a straight in.

Thats probably the only reason why I have QDC and UM iems instead of the u12t.

Contemplated grabbing a u12t and having Naga or someone reshell them to universal acrylic. But the additional cost and high possiblity of screwing with the tuning turned me off.

I didn't have enough time with Trio to judge whether the fewer drivers and lower weight overall would be better. But then the Trio is a good couple hundred more

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #13,644 of 23,560
"High performance" and "single dynamic driver" needn't be mutually exclusive. Some flagships of well-known high performance IEM manufacturers happen to be the humble single dynamic driver that has been worked upon year after year for better results. Be it Final Audio Design's A8000 or Sennheiser's own IE800S/IE500Pro or Beyerdynamic Xelento/AKT9iE or flagships from smaller players like DITA or DUNU. Since 64Audio's design expertise and experience in multi BA offerings convinced themselves into eventually bringing into the picture DDs to help create BA+DD hybrids, why not enter into and further explore single DD landscape too? Surely the potential of DDs is unlimited as evidenced by the recent use of newer materials and processing methods -pure Beryllium being just one such successful finding? And all that trouble that goes into and the eventual joy in discovering something DDs always had in them can even be transferred to the true wireless TWS offerings (most likely single DDs themselves) that virtually every single mass or boutique manufacturer of casual or high-performance IEMs is presently and desperately working on like their life depended on it? Surely you didn't give up on pencil just because the Russians invented a pen that would write in zero-gravity space? When the unmentionable hits the fan and economy starts tanking, every speciality product manufacturer will add to his line a no-frills mass-consumption product with the cheapest price tag they can afford to sell at. Volkswagen Beetle wasn't the result of some fashionista designer going after his/her wet dream but a product of war effort that eventually transformed itself into a global fashion statement. An effort to build an affordable or even a flagship single DD IEM today might as well be the first step towards conquering a respectable market share in TWS earbuds tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #13,645 of 23,560
Ear anatomy is weird. After 3 years of owning iems, I've determined that my right ear gobbles everything up regardless of angle nozzle, but my left reason will simply spit out anything not a straight in.
I find that I have to push down on the anti tragus with the iem on my right ear and then I get a seal. If I don't do that then it goes in ok but no seal or bass.

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #13,646 of 23,560
"High performance" and "single dynamic driver" needn't be mutually exclusive. Some flagships of well-known high performance IEM manufacturers happen to be the humble single dynamic driver that has been worked upon year after year for better results. Be it Final Audio Design's A8000 or Sennheiser's own IE800S/IE500Pro or Beyerdynamic Xelento/AKT9iE or flagships from smaller players like DITA or DUNU. Since 64Audio's design expertise and experience in multi BA offerings convinced themselves into eventually bringing into the picture DDs to help create BA+DD hybrids, why not enter into and further explore single DD landscape too? Surely the potential of DDs is unlimited as evidenced by the recent use of newer materials and processing methods -pure Beryllium being just one such successful finding? And all that trouble that goes into and the eventual joy in discovering something DDs always had in them can even be transferred to the true wireless TWS offerings (most likely single DDs themselves) that virtually every single mass or boutique manufacturer of casual or high-performance IEMs is presently and desperately working on like their life depended on it? Surely you didn't give up on pencil just because the Russians invented a pen that would write in zero-gravity space? When the unmentionable hits the fan and economy starts tanking, every speciality product manufacturer will add to his line a no-frills mass-consumption product with the cheapest price tag they can afford to sell at. Volkswagen Beetle wasn't the result of some fashionista designer going after his/her wet dream but a product of war effort that eventually transformed itself into a global fashion statement. An effort to build an affordable or even a flagship single DD IEM today might as well be the first step towards conquering a respectable market share in TWS earbuds tomorrow.

+1 for single DD. Still keep my T9iE as single DD just sound so nice and coherent.

High performance Wireless TWS will be great if they can pull it off. Will be interesting to see what they will come out with.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #13,647 of 23,560
Just wondering if anyone here ever has issues with eartips staying on the unverisal IEM models? I have a pair of u12t's and have attempted to try different tips, but most just slip off the nozzle (even the included silicone tips have slipped off inside my ear). The only eartips I can get to stay on are the Spinfit C100s...

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #13,648 of 23,560
New toys!

EBAF7D32-B76D-4984-8B5A-7AD211DD2AB3.jpeg

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #13,649 of 23,560
Just wondering if anyone here ever has issues with eartips staying on the unverisal IEM models? I have a pair of u12t's and have attempted to try different tips, but most just slip off the nozzle (even the included silicone tips have slipped off inside my ear). The only eartips I can get to stay on are the Spinfit C100s...

Happen to me few times on tia noirs the tip slip of while removing my iem from my ear and the tip was left in my ear. Zzzz
But I never had such issues with my trio.

New toys!

EBAF7D32-B76D-4984-8B5A-7AD211DD2AB3.jpeg

🤩😍🤩🤩

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #13,650 of 23,560

I’ve experienced issues of the tips moving from their desired position (though not of it staying in my ears).

This was specifically for tips where the shaft was quite wide and very smooth, such as the JVC Spiral Dot. I had great success using a small rubber spacer (like those for keyboards or watches) which I would put on the IEM nozzle before putting the tips on. This kept them in place securely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back