The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 11, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #13,382 of 23,565
Bro, the stock premium cable is actually not too bad sound wise but don’t write off the silver premium so early. You should give some time to listen to the Trio with stock cable first and familiarize with the Trio tuning. Then try the silver premium. You may be surprised with what the silver premium can do :wink:
The Silver Premium emphasizes parts of the Trio's treble that just don't sit well with me. They make some higher pitched details more prominent than others. In comparison the PW10 8-wire cable I'm testing adds all those same details (and even more) but without changing the overall balance or adding any harshness. In fact it makes the Trio sound even more coherent event though it puts it on steroids. And the PW10 costs $150 less than the Silver Premium cable and you can't even compare their build quality. Go figure.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #13,383 of 23,565
The Silver Premium emphasizes parts of the Trio's treble that just don't sit well with me. They make some higher pitched details more prominent than others. In comparison the PW10 8-wire cable I'm testing adds all those same details (and even more) but without changing the overall balance or adding any harshness. In fact it makes the Trio sound even more coherent event though it puts it on steroids. And the PW10 costs $150 less than the Silver Premium cable and you can't even compare their build quality. Go figure.
Can't seem to find that cable on the PW audio website. Was that a temporary offering?

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #13,385 of 23,565
Thanks for the links!

Update on the Xelastec tips. Still struggling with fit, but I think I can see these working in terms of fit, with some tweaking. I ordered another size that should arrive next week. One interesting aspect of these is that when I go for a walk (my main use case for iems), the thump of my own footsteps resonates much more than with the foam tips. To the point that this might be a deal breaker for the Xelastecs.. I guess because the material is more solid, it conducts better than the foam tips. Or the seal is better. Or both.

Anyone else use these primarily when on the move and any wisdom to share in this regard?

Starting to think seriously about customs...

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #13,386 of 23,565
Thanks for the links!

Update on the Xelastec tips. Still struggling with fit, but I think I can see these working in terms of fit, with some tweaking. I ordered another size that should arrive next week. One interesting aspect of these is that when I go for a walk (my main use case for iems), the thump of my own footsteps resonates much more than with the foam tips. To the point that this might be a deal breaker for the Xelastecs.. I guess because the material is more solid, it conducts better than the foam tips. Or the seal is better. Or both.

Anyone else use these primarily when on the move and any wisdom to share in this regard?

Starting to think seriously about customs...
That's interesting. Probably because of the tight seal, creates a sort of echo chamber in your head. The Xelastecs couple with your ears, so I guess they transmit any vibrations from further down or even from the cable. I haven't used them for talking or exercise but will report back when I do. I'm not a fan of foamies unless I'm flying and need tight isolation - they make my ears too warm. Have never used customs either so not sure if you'll have the same 'bone conduction' issues with them - I'm sure others can answer that better. Interestingly the Tia Trio is the first IEM where Xelastecs don't work for me. SS is too small and S is too big, so I'm using Sedna EarFitLight Short which seals well and is also more comfortable - though unlike Xelastecs they move around after a while when it gets hot.

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #13,387 of 23,565
Pulled the trigger on the Nio. I’ll post thoughts on it once I have more listening time.

One confusing thing... On all the seller sites it is pictured with the Premium cable. On the 64 Audio site product page, it is pictured with the Premium cable. And under the “In the Box” description on the 64 Audio site product page, it is stated that the Premium cable is in the box... So why did mine come with the much more inexpensive Professional cable?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #13,388 of 23,565
Pulled the trigger on the Nio. I’ll post thoughts on it once I have more listening time.

One confusing thing... On all the seller sites it is pictured with the Premium cable. On the 64 Audio site product page, it is pictured with the Premium cable. And under the “In the Box” description on the 64 Audio site product page, it is stated that the Premium cable is in the box... So why did mine come with the much more inexpensive Professional cable?
Good question. Only the ones from the first batch that shipped with a free Silver Premium cable should have the Pro cable. From what I understand all subsequent batches should have the premium cable. Did you buy from 64 direct? Otherwise your reseller may have given you one from the initial batch and you should go back and ask for a premium cable.

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #13,389 of 23,565
Good question. Only the ones from the first batch that shipped with a free Silver Premium cable should have the Pro cable. From what I understand all subsequent batches should have the premium cable. Did you buy from 64 direct? Otherwise your reseller may have given you one from the initial batch and you should go back and ask for a premium cable.
Good to know. I’ll call the reseller tomorrow...

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #13,390 of 23,565
Exactly, I confirm this with 64 audio customer support. All preorder unit come with pro. Cable and free silver cable. So, after preorder period, you should get premium cable. Reasonable suspect is the seller keep the silver cable from the package.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #13,391 of 23,565
Exactly, I confirm this with 64 audio customer support. All preorder unit come with pro. Cable and free silver cable. So, after preorder period, you should get premium cable. Reasonable suspect is the seller keep the silver cable from the package.
If you bought it used, then yes, that's very likely.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #13,392 of 23,565
I bought some U12t's new in August and I've just had to send them in for repair due to the right side connector failing - the connector no longer snaps into place, it just drops back out. I've only noticed, or caused, this problem by getting some Fiio UTSW1's about a week ago, so I've switched over to them from the cable a handful of times. Given that this seems to have been enough to break something I'm concerned that this is going to happen again, specifically after the one year warranty period.

Is switching out the cable with any regularity totally inadvisable with these, or have I just got a faulty connector? I'm thinking about selling them when they come back and going back to some more robust, or at least less expensive, headphones. Which is a problem, because listening to anything else after having U12t's for six weeks really shows how bad my previous gear was.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #13,393 of 23,565
I bought some U12t's new in August and I've just had to send them in for repair due to the right side connector failing - the connector no longer snaps into place, it just drops back out. I've only noticed, or caused, this problem by getting some Fiio UTSW1's about a week ago, so I've switched over to them from the cable a handful of times. Given that this seems to have been enough to break something I'm concerned that this is going to happen again, specifically after the one year warranty period.

Is switching out the cable with any regularity totally inadvisable with these, or have I just got a faulty connector? I'm thinking about selling them when they come back and going back to some more robust, or at least less expensive, headphones. Which is a problem, because listening to anything else after having U12t's for six weeks really shows how bad my previous gear was.

Regular cable-rolling shouldn't be an issue at all with these IEMs. I've cable-rolled my years-old A6t a bunch of times and the connectors still work great. There's a possibility that you've indeed gotten a faulty socket on the U12t, or perhaps a thinner 2-pin connector on the right side of the cable. Have you tried plugging in other cables into the right IEM to see whether it's an issue with the cable, rather than the socket? Another possibility is that the pins on the UTSW1's connectors have stretched out your U12t's socket. But, it's very unlikely that it's widened them to the point where the cable just falls out. When you first plugged in the UTSW1 to your U12t's, did you have to apply a ton of force to push the pins in?

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #13,394 of 23,565
Regular cable-rolling shouldn't be an issue at all with these IEMs. I've cable-rolled my years-old A6t a bunch of times and the connectors still work great. There's a possibility that you've indeed gotten a faulty socket on the U12t, or perhaps a thinner 2-pin connector on the right side of the cable. Have you tried plugging in other cables into the right IEM to see whether it's an issue with the cable, rather than the socket? Another possibility is that the pins on the UTSW1's connectors have stretched out your U12t's socket. But, it's very unlikely that it's widened them to the point where the cable just falls out. When you first plugged in the UTSW1 to your U12t's, did you have to apply a ton of force to push the pins in?
I'm hoping that I've just got a faulty socket, but otherwise I suppose the UTSW1 has done something to it. I definitely did not have to apply any significant force for either connection, so for once, I don't think I've ham-fisted it and broken something. I only have the one 2-pin cable to test, but the UTSW1 falls out too, so the socket has failed.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #13,395 of 23,565
I'm hoping that I've just got a faulty socket, but otherwise I suppose the UTSW1 has done something to it. I definitely did not have to apply any significant force for either connection, so for once, I don't think I've ham-fisted it and broken something. I only have the one 2-pin cable to test, but the UTSW1 falls out too, so the socket has failed.

Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe test it with the cable's left plug? But, if both the stock cable and UTSW1 falls out of it, then it's safe to assume that that one will too. I'm purely speculating here, but there's a possibility that the socket on the in-ear has somehow come loose of its housing, so you're essentially plugging the cable into two holes with nothing behind them. I'd definitely recommend sending them back to 64 for a check-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back