The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #9,586 of 23,544
Haven’t we been over this already? DAPs and amps will still impact the sound even with LID. All LID does is eliminate impedance differences, which is one factor out of MANY.

Of course, but still the output impedance makes a biiiig difference. With LID, it's a fair bit more subtle. That's a plus in my book any day of the week.

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #9,589 of 23,544
If only sp2k had 4.4 balanced!

Guess in 5 years will have it

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #9,590 of 23,544
If only sp2k had 4.4 balanced!

Guess in 5 years will have it

When you made a standard, no way in hell are you gonna surrender it!

Man 2.5mm is the worst standard ever made for audio. 4.4mm is so much better!

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #9,592 of 23,544
The SP2000 has the best textured bass I’ve heard on any DAP.

Yeah, it wasn’t boomy, just deep. And my 18s put out more than I thought they were capable of.

Yet more evidence that our IEMs are more capable than we think, and source is a significant bottleneck.

I’d convinced myself it wasn’t worth the money to upgrade from the 1000M, but now I’m doubting myself again... :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #9,593 of 23,544
What’s the difference? (Please don’t say 1.9 :)

of course, all my cables are 2.5mm, so....

Well, I was gonna say 0.0748"...............:)

Sound quality isn't the problem, it's the plug design overall:

1. Smaller than 3.5mm, so strength issues. Particularly for DAPs where thickness is clearly not a design parameter, why are you using a plug that is smaller than normal?
2. Lack of ground. This is an issue when connecting to an external mains-powered amp. For an optimal balanced and differential connection, you need that ground.
3. Bigger = better. See point 1.

I'll be fair though - the good thing about 2.5mm is that it can be converted to any size with the smallest adapters. If you're adapting a 4.4mm to 2.5mm, it's gonna be a phat connector.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #9,594 of 23,544
Well, I was gonna say 0.0748"...............:)

Sound quality isn't the problem, it's the plug design overall:

1. Smaller than 3.5mm, so strength issues. Particularly for DAPs where thickness is clearly not a design parameter, why are you using a plug that is smaller than normal?
2. Lack of ground. This is an issue when connecting to an external mains-powered amp. For an optimal balanced and differential connection, you need that ground.
3. Bigger = better. See point 1.

I'll be fair though - the good thing about 2.5mm is that it can be converted to any size with the smallest adapters. If you're adapting a 4.4mm to 2.5mm, it's gonna be a phat connector.

Does anyone know why there are plenty of right-angled adapters for 4.4mm but absolutely zero right-angled jacks? I haven’t been able to find a single one for DIY or even pre-made cables,

Mar 18, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #9,595 of 23,544
Yeah, it wasn’t boomy, just deep. And my 18s put out more than I thought they were capable of.

Yet more evidence that our IEMs are more capable than we think, and source is a significant bottleneck.

I’d convinced myself it wasn’t worth the money to upgrade from the 1000M, but now I’m doubting myself again... :wink:
I used to own the 1000M, and when I tried the 2000 I didn’t find it to be a worthwhile upgrade. Much preferred the WM1Z

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #9,596 of 23,544
I suspect the U18t will be more fun for audiophiles to play around due to its lack of LID tech - after all, the low impedance and lack of linearity means that DAP/amp rolling could be a thing.

The U12t and by extension the U18s should sound pretty much the same no matter what sources you use.

Yeah I've been one of the more vocal opponents of LID and LID-like tech :D

The thing is though, as odd as it might be, a friend who's impressions I trust as much as I trust my own has reported that his A12t is pretty much one of the most source-responsive IEMs he owns. On paper I understand what LID does, but I am also starting to suspect there's something else going on because even IEMs with LID tend to have a highly variable sound signature depending on source

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #9,597 of 23,544

The thing is though, as odd as it might be, a friend who's impressions I trust as much as I trust my own has reported that his A12t is pretty much one of the most source-responsive IEMs he owns. On paper I understand what LID does, but I am also starting to suspect there's something else going on because even IEMs with LID tend to have a highly variable sound signature depending on source

My opinion is that the most crucial aspect of source is the DAC, which isn’t influenced by LID at all....

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #9,598 of 23,544
When you made a standard, no way in hell are you gonna surrender...

... to its main competitor Sony :D I would like to eat my words, but don't forsee 4.4mm and LDAC in A&K near future.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #9,599 of 23,544
... to its main competitor Sony :D I would like to eat my words, but don't forsee 4.4mm and LDAC in A&K near future.

Me neither. That being said, I'm a huge fan of Sony's DAPs, so doesn't particularly hurt me at all. Do A&K DAPs even come with native Google Play Services support?

Guess I'll see - mine are arriving on Friday. Have my phone, ZX300, O2 amp and RME to put through its paces.

That being said, I did see a review somewhere of the U12t where the measured it with an OI of <1ohm, and then a subsequent measurement with an impedance adapter of around 75 ohms. Both looked the same. I wish I remembered where I saw it - would definitely post it here.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #9,600 of 23,544
Me neither. That being said, I'm a huge fan of Sony's DAPs, so doesn't particularly hurt me at all.

Guess I'll see - mine are arriving on Friday. Have my phone, ZX300, O2 amp and RME to put through its paces.

That being said, I did see a review somewhere of the U12t where the measured it with an OI of <1ohm, and then a subsequent measurement with an impedance adapter of around 75 ohms. Both looked the same. I wish I remembered where I saw it - would definitely post it here.
Headphones.com forum, perhaps? I believe I saw something similar there as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back