The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #7,141 of 23,561
Manufacturing is a bit of a strong word here... most CIEMs are still handmade (except printing the shells).

The drivers are mostly purchased externally (Noble is one of the few that has proprietary drivers made for them), so the actual manufacturing is rather driver compositions and internal wiring

"Manufacture" literally means "made by hand," even if the modern prevalence of assembly lines and robotic assembly has caused people to form different associations.

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #7,142 of 23,561
"Manufacture" literally means "made by hand," even if the modern prevalence of assembly lines and robotic assembly has caused people to form different associations.
Well yeah, but when companies take their production overseas it's usually in the case of mass-production as opposed to small, hand-made batches - I do agree with you on the definition of manufacture though

Jul 22, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #7,143 of 23,561
Well yeah, but when companies take their production overseas it's usually in the case of mass-production as opposed to small, hand-made batches - I do agree with you on the definition of manufacture though
It would really only be possible for universals to farm out assembly overseas. For customs you can't build to stock like you can with something like a dap. Even if the components are prebuilt the final assembly takes into account the specific ear impression which causes placement issues.

Not something that would be fun to maintain quality in an outsourced assembly method.

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #7,145 of 23,561
My ear impressions got flagged for issues despite me having them done at a popular/reputable audio shop ):

Anyone have similar experiences? I'm going to a local audiologist tomorrow to get new ones... I really hope it's not the shape of my ears or something

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #7,146 of 23,561
My ear impressions got flagged for issues despite me having them done at a popular/reputable audio shop ): Anyone have similar experiences? I'm going to a local audiologist tomorrow to get new ones... I really hope it's not the shape of my ears or something

Did they specify what the issues were? In my experience, the most common issues you'd encounter when getting your impressions taken would be a lack of insertion depth and an incomplete cymba. Did your impressions match the one visualised on 64's audiologist guide? https://www.64audio.com/img/instructions2.pdf

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #7,147 of 23,561
I find it odd that a lot of IEM companies manufacture in the United States such as JH Audio, 64 Audio, Empire Ears and others, while most of the DAP companies are not manufacturing in the United States.

You need someone capable of working on FPGA's and quickly retool boards to do DAP development. The US hasn't had that since the 1980s. It's all in Asia these days.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #7,148 of 23,561
Did they specify what the issues were? In my experience, the most common issues you'd encounter when getting your impressions taken would be a lack of insertion depth and an incomplete cymba. Did your impressions match the one visualised on 64's audiologist guide? https://www.64audio.com/img/instructions2.pdf

I'm actually not sure. I did it with Music Sanctuary who are dealers for 64Audio and do lots of ear impressions for them so I thought I was safe. Thank you a lot for the document, I'll show that to my audiologist tomorrow.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #7,149 of 23,561
I'm actually not sure. I did it with Music Sanctuary who are dealers for 64Audio and do lots of ear impressions for them so I thought I was safe. Thank you a lot for the document, I'll show that to my audiologist tomorrow.

Oh, that's strange. I've done a few impressions at MS and they've all been perfect. You probably just need a second attempt. It was most likely just a fluke.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #7,150 of 23,561
Oh, that's strange. I've done a few impressions at MS and they've all been perfect. You probably just need a second attempt. It was most likely just a fluke.

Yeah, I hope so. I'll have to see in a month :) What sucks is that I can only get information from MS and can't check in with 64audio to track the process.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #7,151 of 23,561
Yeah, I hope so. I'll have to see in a month :) What sucks is that I can only get information from MS and can't check in with 64audio to track the process.

Perhaps something happened in transit and your impressions got damaged as a result?

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #7,152 of 23,561
Ask your audiologist if they can directly scan them for you. Saved me the trouble of having to ship them and all that back when I was getting mine

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #7,153 of 23,561
Ask your audiologist if they can directly scan them for you. Saved me the trouble of having to ship them and all that back when I was getting mine

Music Sanctuary have a 3D scanner for their impressions. This service should definitely be available.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 11.42.16 AM.png

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #7,155 of 23,561
Fir Audio will also scan them and even forward the actual impressions to the manufacturer where you ordered your IEM. They then send the file to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back