The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #7,156 of 23,562
One of my local stores does that as well - they’ll actually 3D print you a copy beforehand so you can take them home and try them for a bit to make sure that the IEMs will fit well.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #7,157 of 23,562
Today I managed to audition several iems.

Custom Art Fibae 7
64 12t
64 18t
FIR M5
Lime Ears Aether R
QDC Anole VX

My personal ranking of the above.
U12T, Anole VX, Aether R, fibae 7, 18t, M5

I was quite surprised that I liked the U12T the most, considering I've read some reviews and descriptions that it is a bright iem. I personally found it very resolving with good clarity, with smooth highs that are far from sibilant. I found it better tonally than the rest of the iems I tried. It had good amount of distinct and punchy bass which did not overpower or bleed into the mids.

I found the 18t "overly clear". It is indeed a very analytical iem. It's bass is slightly punchier than the 12t. But I found myself not being able to listen for it for too long and really had to turn the volume down. Quite a fatiguing iem.

The anole VX had the best bass of all. Very visceral and textured. Super impactful bass. The highs are more extended and it seems brighter than the 12t, but not as bad as 18t. Presentation is more forward than 12t. I tried flicking the 3 switches. I preferred all the switches off; bass switch on made it sound a bit muddy and too thick. Mids switch made the songs I listened to sound funny and too unfamiliar. Highs switch on was really unbearable for me. Anole VX soundstage > U12t

Aether R had a good amount of bass but didn't seem precise and there was a lack of slam compared to 12t and anole VX. It had the smoothest highs of the lot and was the least fatiguing. The mids were luscious and vocals sound clear. Flicking the bass switch on made it sound too muddy.

Fibae 7 seemed the most easy going of the lot. It didn't do anything glaringly wrong but at the same time didn't seem to impress much. If I didn't know better, I would be totally fine and happy owning the fibae 7, but not after having heard the anole/u12t, which are much more impressive iems.

I did not like the FIR M5 at all and actually preferred my shure 846.

I will most likely go back and get a custom made for the U12T. I kept going back and forth between the U12T and the Anole VX (I must have swapped iems more than 30 times). Although I was very drawn to the bass of the anole vx, the comparatively smoother highs of the U12T won me over. I found I could raise the volume higher with the u12t and that really compensated for the bass (over the anole).

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #7,158 of 23,562
I found the 18t "overly clear". It is indeed a very analytical iem. It's bass is slightly punchier than the 12t. But I found myself not being able to listen for it for too long and really had to turn the volume down. Quite a fatiguing iem.

I look at it the other way around: the A18t lets me run the volume nice and low while still getting a full-spectrum sound.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #7,159 of 23,562
IMO, it’s really hard to base the CIEM version of the same model because of the difference between the seal, eartips and possibly shell enclosure differences. Thus the A12T and A18T might sound dramatically different than their universal versions

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #7,160 of 23,562
IMO, it’s really hard to base the CIEM version of the same model because of the difference between the seal, eartips and possibly shell enclosure differences. Thus the A12T and A18T might sound dramatically different than their universal versions

One thing I've gotten curious about is whether 64's use of a single-bore nozzle leads to greater transmission through the skull. In most CIEMs, the sound tubes are separated from the shell by a layer of dead air except right at the nozzle. But with the single bore, all the sound waves are bumping up against the insides of the acrylic.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #7,161 of 23,562

This is even more true if you have anything funky going on re: ear anatomy.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #7,162 of 23,562
The A18t does in fact sound much smoother and slightly bassier than the U18t. I've also heard U12t and was extremely impressed with it as well, however my A18t is more to my preference. Don't discount the difference cables can make in fine tuning, I can recommend both PW and Han Sound cables. Also with either custom version you can use the 3 Fir Audio modules for a total of 5 possible tuning options (6 if you include the carrot) for the A12t/18t. Either monitor is top shelf, but for me it's A18t. Look forward to hearing the Fir Audio stuff.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #7,163 of 23,562
Today I managed to audition several iems.

Custom Art Fibae 7
64 12t
64 18t
FIR M5
Lime Ears Aether R
QDC Anole VX

My personal ranking of the above.
U12T, Anole VX, Aether R, fibae 7, 18t, M5

I was quite surprised that I liked the U12T the most, considering I've read some reviews and descriptions that it is a bright iem. I personally found it very resolving with good clarity, with smooth highs that are far from sibilant. I found it better tonally than the rest of the iems I tried. It had good amount of distinct and punchy bass which did not overpower or bleed into the mids.

The anole VX had the best bass of all. Very visceral and textured. Super impactful bass. The highs are more extended and it seems brighter than the 12t, but not as bad as 18t. Presentation is more forward than 12t. I tried flicking the 3 switches. I preferred all the switches off; bass switch on made it sound a bit muddy and too thick. Mids switch made the songs I listened to sound funny and too unfamiliar. Highs switch on was really unbearable for me. Anole VX soundstage > U12t

Aether R had a good amount of bass but didn't seem precise and there was a lack of slam compared to 12t and anole VX. It had the smoothest highs of the lot and was the least fatiguing. The mids were luscious and vocals sound clear. Flicking the bass switch on made it sound too muddy.

Fibae 7 seemed the most easy going of the lot. It didn't do anything glaringly wrong but at the same time didn't seem to impress much. If I didn't know better, I would be totally fine and happy owning the fibae 7, but not after having heard the anole/u12t, which are much more impressive iems.

I did not like the FIR M5 at all and actually preferred my shure 846.

I will most likely go back and get a custom made for the U12T. I kept going back and forth between the U12T and the Anole VX (I must have swapped iems more than 30 times). Although I was very drawn to the bass of the anole vx, the comparatively smoother highs of the U12T won me over. I found I could raise the volume higher with the u12t and that really compensated for the bass (over the anole).

If you go back try the custom arts with double flanges if you didn't. Seems that's how they tuned them.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #7,164 of 23,562
...the comparatively smoother highs of the U12T won me over.

Tia treble is indeed incredible.

My experience after having listened to all of the universal models (u12, u18, trio, fourte) is that the analytical nature of the 18 you describe, while potentially off-putting at first, (i had the same experience when i first heard the u18 at canjam years ago,) changes over time. a year later, i demoed the u12 and u18 again in my own home for a week. in that time my perception of "too analytical" for the u18 changed to a sense of amazement at the sheer clarity, detail, AND musicality and excitement. To top things off, the custom A18t has smoother, more detailed highs, and better bass than its universal counterpart.

The A18t does in fact sound much smoother and slightly bassier than the U18t. I've also heard U12t and was extremely impressed with it as well, however my A18t is more to my preference. Don't discount the difference cables can make in fine tuning, I can recommend both PW and Han Sound cables.

The first time I heard how much better the A18t sounds with the PW 1950 cable it was really hard to believe. I never had any experience with cables in the past, and I reserved complete judgment until I heard it for myself.

Well, it makes a difference.

If the PW 1950 didn't cost over $2k, I'd absolutely have it connected to my A18 right now.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #7,165 of 23,562
The A18t does in fact sound much smoother and slightly bassier than the U18t. I've also heard U12t and was extremely impressed with it as well, however my A18t is more to my preference. Don't discount the difference cables can make in fine tuning, I can recommend both PW and Han Sound cables. Also with either custom version you can use the 3 Fir Audio modules for a total of 5 possible tuning options (6 if you include the carrot) for the A12t/18t. Either monitor is top shelf, but for me it's A18t. Look forward to hearing the Fir Audio stuff.

Can you describe the differences the cables make? Which model Han Sound would you recommend?

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #7,166 of 23,562
PW 1950

More detail, better spatial cues, more energy and liveliness, better bass from my experience.

Yes it's subtle...but it's there and if you can hear the difference and appreciate it, you're in for a treat.

All the cable conversations and significance of listening to what others say is pointless. Try it for yourself and see what you hear.

If you hear what I hear, you'll be amazed.

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,167 of 23,562
PW 1950

More detail, better spatial cues, more energy and liveliness, better bass from my experience.

Yes it's subtle...but it's there and if you can hear the difference and appreciate it, you're in for a treat.

All the cable conversations and significance of listening to what others say is pointless. Try it for yourself and see what you hear.

If you hear what I hear, you'll be amazed.

Thanks, Joshua. Do these companies allow for home auditions?

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #7,168 of 23,562
A decent cable upgrade sometimes makes a night and day difference. This is especially true with Tia Fourte and alike.
Plussound Applonian+ 4 wire SPC cable brought improved clarity and power that my Tia Fourte loved so much over the stock wire.

When I finally upgraded to a DHC Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver 8 Wire it took my audio experience to another level. Insane resolution, separation and sound stage. Things got so precise that I am now hearing a difference between two (technically identical) outputs of Chord Mojo DAC.
Stock cable just sounds muffled and weak at this point.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #7,169 of 23,562
I might have found the perfect setup for my Fourte. Paradigm silicone tips and Moon Black Dragon V1 cable. Smooths out the highs while adding some attack on the low bass with a black background. The tips also allow to lie back without changing the bass. Now the new Edison’s Children album.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #7,170 of 23,562
Thanks, Joshua. Do these companies allow for home auditions?

There was just a cable tour on head-fi that I signed up for. That's how I had the chance to hear the PW 1950.

A "cable tour" is a great way to sample, so keep an eye out for another one of those. You could also try to meet up with someone who has the cable, though not many do because of what it costs.

Also, don't miss canjam if you can swing by one of those events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back