The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 21, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #6,362 of 23,578
How does A18T sound compared to JHA Layla? I like Layla, but I would like to try something that adjusts pressure in the ear. Layla sounds great, but when I'm walking around if I move my ear sometimes I get some popping sounds from the seal breaking/pressure adjusting. Then when I'm conscious about the sound defect my ears move around even more. I've been back and forth several times with JHA. The fit is good, I just think that's a limitation of the tech.

How do I demo U18 without buying a new one and returning to get a A18t? Do they have a demo program for head-fi'ers?

Compared to the Layla, you’ll hear more emphasis on the top-end with the A18t. That translates to an increase in perceived clarity, definition, image sharpness and contrast. Along with more presence in the upper-mids, the A18t is the overall more vibrant, engaging, crisp and likeable-sounding piece with larger images, more impactful instruments and a more immersive soundscape. As previously mentioned, tia and apex also give the A18t a greater sense of openness and air.

The Layla is comparatively more matter-of-fact. It has a lightly warm, just there sorta signature that’s super appealing if you’re a mastering engineer and you have to look out for subtle tonal differences between your mixes, but isn’t the most fun to listen to if you’re more interested in just rocking out. Relative to the Layla, the A18t has pockets of energy along the mid-bass, upper-mids and upper-treble that add musicality, but without taking away from the earpiece’s balance either.

That said, the Layla’s resolving ability is about on par with the A18t. But, its far more reserved top-end makes that quite a bit more difficult to discern. The details are there, but you do have to look a bit harder on the Layla than on the A18t. Again, that reserved top-end allows the Layla to discern differences in tone between one mix to another a bit more clearly, but the A18t is the more transparent of the two when it comes to sheer detail retrieval and nuance.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #6,363 of 23,578
I for one can say that the A18t are by far the best CIEMs I have owned to date... they are able to handle anything thrown at them, and actually perform better when they are “fed” better too. It makes me wonder how they will top this....

I also do a lot of flying, and the A18t does a great job in drowning out the annoying buzz of the airplane engine...

May 22, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,364 of 23,578
Quick question to owners of the U10 and/or U12. From reviews and some discussions I have read, these models tend to work best with an impedance adapter (as they were originally designed for use with stage equipment). Are any off-the-shelf adapters of the sort available, in particular for use in balanced mode? Would something like the iFi IEMatch fit the bill?

May 22, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #6,365 of 23,578
Quick question to owners of the U10 and/or U12. From reviews and some discussions I have read, these models tend to work best with an impedance adapter (as they were originally designed for use with stage equipment). Are any off-the-shelf adapters of the sort available, in particular for use in balanced mode? Would something like the iFi IEMatch fit the bill?
The a12t has the lid tec that makes impedance issues a thing of the past . Same resistance no matter what amp you hook the iem’s to.

May 22, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6,366 of 23,578
Sounds like M20 is for you, or the FIR audio gold module does the same but it’s 17 dB isolation and not 20, so not as much bass

M20 is better for me. I forgot how much these modules influence the sound. I went through 3 including the adjustable one for my 3 year old U12 adel. Thanks

May 22, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #6,367 of 23,578
I'm guessing you're talking about the original U10 and U12. From what I've read in these thread the Ifi IEMatch works well as do other impedance adapters. That said I have not
had to use one so not talking from personal experience.

May 22, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #6,368 of 23,578
I'm guessing you're talking about the original U10 and U12. From what I've read in these thread the Ifi IEMatch works well as do other impedance adapters. That said I have not
had to use one so not talking from personal experience.
The IEMatch would only work well if you have a source that has a certain level of “hiss” when paired with super sensitive IEMs. If you’re hearing a sort of noise or hiss when you plug it in, get the IEMatch. If not, don’t bother

May 22, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #6,369 of 23,578
Thanks all. It’s less about any hiss (none present) but about revealing its full capabilities.

From the review on HF:

One of the things which has been revealed relatively recently is that some of the 64Audio IEMs were tuned with a source with a relatively high (up to 20 ohm) output impedance. of course is because many of them were designed as stage monitors, and the wireless packs tend to have higher OI. With lower impedance, we're generally getting a tilt upward in the bass, and downward in the upper mid-range. This makes some of the IEMs both warmer and smoother. One of the ways you can correct the frequency response is by using an impedance adaptor...

May 23, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #6,370 of 23,578
Anyone have experience with both IER-Z1R and A18t? I’m itching to get another IEM, preferably a CIEM, which is why I’m already leaning toward the A18t.

But, in 9 days, I will receive my DMP-Z1 and I’ve heard good things about the pairing with Z1R.

May 24, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #6,371 of 23,578
My U12T left ear piece starts losing on sound abruptly. It turns out to be an issue with the contact point of the 2pin to the connection. Tried different cable, but same problem.

Has anyone faced this problem? :frowning2:

May 30, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #6,372 of 23,578
Went back and forth auditioning Fourte and Trio. In the end, I settled with the Trio since its character suits me best.

Now waiting for it to be fully burned in :ksc75smile:

WggIadN.jpg

May 30, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #6,373 of 23,578
Went back and forth auditioning Fourte and Trio. In the end, I settled with the Trio since its character suits me best.

Now waiting for it to be fully burned in :ksc75smile:

WggIadN.jpg
Nice choice. Which cable is that?

May 30, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #6,374 of 23,578
Jun 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #6,375 of 23,578
Hello, this is my first post in here, is there's Tia Fourte 3rd gen?

Recently some people auditioned new Tia Fourte and call it Fourte 3rd gen, they said it has smooth out the treble compare to old Fourte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back