The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #5,791 of 23,544
2nd LID test with the legendary Sony D-350. My 1991 Sony friend agrees with A6T LID Tech. A 2 thumbs up sound quality.. Don't forget its still 8x oversampling and would mega the bass anytime necessary to bring bliss!

upload_2019-1-24_14-10-55.png

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #5,795 of 23,544
4 weeks, that I should have mine next week :smile::smile: kidding they just went into production on the 22nd and they have had them for three weeks, Im guessing right now its 6 weeks based on how many black friday orders there were

Yeah you’re probably right, they wouldn’t even allow me to purchase rush ordering on mine that I ordered on Monday due to still fulfilling Black Friday orders.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #5,797 of 23,544
12 has more punch, and is tuned to have a sound signature with more low-end emphasis.

18 is also incredible. The sound signature of the 18 is tuned for exciting neutrality.

Based on how casually and generally you posed your question, it seems like you'd prefer the 12.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #5,798 of 23,544
Anyone with a CIEM from them, what was your turnaround time?

3 weeks, but I purchased at a "downtime."

Also worth noting, their 3D printing of my shells is on point. It's impressive how good of a job 64A can do if your molds are solid.

Even though their "tracking" system can be frustrating to watch, it's better than a lot of other companies are offering.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #5,799 of 23,544
12 has more punch, and is tuned to have a sound signature with more low-end emphasis.

18 is also incredible. The sound signature of the 18 is tuned for exciting neutrality.

Based on how casually and generally you posed your question, it seems like you'd prefer the 12.

Thanks, I was just wondering if the $800 price difference shall bring anything substantial to my preferences :beyersmile:

I'm upgrading from SE846 and CA Andromeda

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #5,800 of 23,544
Thanks, I was just wondering if the $800 price difference shall bring anything substantial to my preferences :beyersmile:

If you're most important thing is moar basss, the U18t will probably not be what you want.

Don't get me wrong, the U18 bass is truly incredible (the custom version is even better to my ears,) but the overall sound signature of the 18 is exciting neutrality vs the 12's bass-enhanced warmth.

I would say the 12 is a massive step up from se846. Never heard the andromeda...

Let us know what you go with.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #5,801 of 23,544

If you are in the U18 price range I suggest you try the Fourte. I own the Andromeda and I have had the 846. The U18 is very light in the bass compared to the 840 and the Fourte. The Fourte will give you a bright and airy treble while providing a tighter bass than the 840. The Andromeda is a great IEM, but does lack some bass punch and the highs are more forgiving and a bit less articulate than the Fourte. I am not saying the Fourte is definitely the answer for you, just that you should try to listen to all 3. I hope this helps. Tks.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #5,802 of 23,544
Hah...I agree this sounds ridiculous. Once you hear the U12/U18 for yourself, you'll realize that it is. :ksc75smile: I've heard the Beats, 846, U12, U18, bought the A18, and have read your posts and what you're looking for. You will not be disappointed by any "over the top" signature with either the 12 or 18.

The U12 and U18 are both cutting-edge, extremely technically proficient transducers. I also agree with fattymacgeek that it is somewhat a matter of preference whether you will prefer the 12 or 18, (or ultimately decide you'd like to own both.) In fact, some people find the U18 bass light. Again this is a matter of preference. For me, the neutrality and extremely equal representation of frequencies, astounding level of detail, and high-end extension of the U18 was more exciting than the sound signature of the 12. For others, the less neutral, bass-emphasized (but not "over the top") U12 is preferable.

You can't go wrong with 64A's loaner program. Just give them a shout and they'll be happy to hook you up.

If you want to knock yourself out with details, specifically on the U18, you can read my review at the top of the page, here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/64-audio-u18-tzar.22420/reviews#review-19760

I'll also note that the one con I mention (lack of warmth) was significantly improved in the A18 custom version.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Finally received my U12 loaner from @64Audio - by the way, their customer service is amazing. The detail and soundstage are both stunning. That's the only word I can think of. I put my SE846's back in after some comparison tracks, and they still sound wonderful, but the sound is so much more 'close' and the detail is gone. I think I have the M15 modules in (not sure), but the bass is still every bit as powerful (maybe more hard hitting) than the Shure's and the level of detail in the notes, bass drum, snare, cymbal, etc. etc. etc. is just unbelievable. Oh, and the voices! You can hear the rasp in the vocal chords, and so much character to the vocals I never thought possible.

I would say the effect on classical isn't quite as 'jaw dropping' as I would have thought - definitely lots of detail & separation, but not the sense of air & space I was hoping for - but that could be the recordings as well. I listen to Abado's 9th, Klieber's 5th, Trevor Pinnock Mozart Symphonies, Marianne Thorsen's Violin Concertos, etc. Most I got from Chesky. Still, excellent sounding.

So, I'm sold on the A12s and going to send my impressions in. Toyed with the idea of demo-ing the U18s for a second, but I don't think I can plop down an extra $1K for them. Now if @64Audio wanted to offer a discount.... :)

Well done @64Audio! Just a phenomenal product - I didn't know earphones could sound like this!

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #5,803 of 23,544
So, I'm sold on the A12s and going to send my impressions in. Toyed with the idea of demo-ing the U18s for a second, but I don't think I can plop down an extra $1K for them. Now if @64Audio wanted to offer a discount.... :)

Well done @64Audio! Just a phenomenal product - I didn't know earphones could sound like this!

Exciting! Congrats on the decision, Bull.

I think you'll find the custom version sounds even better...did you pick out a design yet?

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #5,804 of 23,544
I really want to like tia drivers but my ears are just too sensitive to them.

I tried almost all of them and everyone one of them are overly hissing and sibilant.

The 8k and above are too distractive for me.

The most recent one i tried was the u12t and i really hope that it won't be sibilant but sadly it is still too sibilant for me.

I can only withstand n8 but it still has some above 10k spikes but still bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back