The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #3,271 of 23,565
1960 2- and 4-wire have different characters (resp. 4 and 8 core cables due to their coaxial design). To me, 2-wire has a warmer, more organic signature, while 4-wire has a lift in the upper treble, besides greater extension. This improves its resolution and transparency, but also gives it a brighter touch on top, which can ocassionally be too much depending on the pairing/listener.

However, the K solder that MS uses tends to smooth the treble, while it can improve resolution. Even so, it does not give it a warmer sound. Another example was the Eos cable, which was an Ares II with the same K solder and a Furutech plug. Compared to Ares II, it has a more neutral tonality with improved resolution. I also had a plusSound GPC cable reterminated with that solder and plug, so I have gotten a sense for its general characteristic. With the K solder, the 4-wire's upper treble trades some of its sparkle in favor of a smoother sound.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,272 of 23,565
I'm pretty much settled with WM1Z -> Eros II+ -> U18t with M20. As an alternative, I use SP1000Cu -> Horus -> Fourte.

What other Effect audio cables did you try with your WM1Z - U18t and why did you settle on the Eros II+?

I have the WM1Z and A18 Tzar and use the Lionheart currently.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,273 of 23,565

How would you describe the Lionheart with the tzar? Any comparisons to other copper cables like the ares, eros, pw audio no 5, pw audio 1960?

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #3,274 of 23,565
@flinkenick I saw that you did a bunch of different cable reviews, do you have a favorite cable around <=1k that you would recommend for the Fourte? I've been getting a lot of people telling me that the Leonidas is great in that range, do you have any thoughts?

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,275 of 23,565
@flinkenick I saw that you did a bunch of different cable reviews, do you have a favorite cable around <=1k that you would recommend for the Fourte? I've been getting a lot of people telling me that the Leonidas is great in that range, do you have any thoughts?
Hi buddy I don't have a Fourte, but I would blindly put my faith in @twister6 and @PinkyPowers on the matter.

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #3,276 of 23,565
Thanks! @PinkyPowers your review was one of the things that pushed me toward the Fourte! What cables have you liked pairing with it?

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,277 of 23,565
Mar 24, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #3,278 of 23,565
Thanks @PinkyPowers that seals it, thanks for the awesome reviews!

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #3,279 of 23,565
What other Effect audio cables did you try with your WM1Z - U18t and why did you settle on the Eros II+?

I should have stated "...settled for now". :grin:
To my ears, U18t is great but occasionally a bit harsh on treble. And I often crave for a bit more body. That's why I prefer Eros II+ over Horus for U18t. Horus is really great with Fourte, though.
So my journey of seeking for the best cable still continues...

That being said, I'm having high hope on the upcoming Janus Dynamic version, which I placed a pre-order. It's supposed to be delivered in a month or so. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #3,280 of 23,565
Hi buddy I don't have a Fourte, but I would blindly put my faith in @twister6 and @PinkyPowers on the matter.

@ceeloChamp : just to get some idea of cables/pair ups I tested with Fourte, you can scroll to cable section in my Fourte Review and pair up section of Horus Review. At the current moment, my favorite pair up with U18t is Horus (it changes), but based on what I heard at CanJam NYC, I have a feeling soon it will change to Janus.

With Fourte, which has brighter upper mids and crisper lower treble, I wasn't too crazy about 1960 4wire pair up, and preferred their 2wire better. But lately been favoring @PLUSSOUND new Tri-copper cable which takes a little edge off the top end, giving Fourte a slightly more organic tonality without loosing airiness or compromising the retrieval of details (still on analytical level). Also, it gives a little more body to the bass. And, its price is only half of your allocated budget.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,281 of 23,565
Thanks @twister6 I have been thinking about buying somthing from Plussound, the reason I haven't ordered one yet is because I am still researching whether or not to get the X6, X8, Exo, or somthing else. I am leaning towards the Exo, do you know how these different cables compare to one-another?

I also just impulsively ordered a Leonidas :). I am excited to see how that Janus stacks up to the Horus, I am kind of leery of how necessary a palladium cable is. It looks fantastic, but I'm anxiously waiting for some reviews. Is it going to be about the same price as the Horus?

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,282 of 23,565
Thanks @twister6 I have been thinking about buying somthing from Plussound, the reason I haven't ordered one yet is because I am still researching whether or not to get the X6, X8, Exo, or somthing else. I am leaning towards the Exo, do you know how these different cables compare to one-another?

I also just impulsively ordered a Leonidas :). I am excited to see how that Janus stacks up to the Horus, I am kind of leery of how necessary a palladium cable is. It looks fantastic, but I'm anxiously waiting for some reviews. Is it going to be about the same price as the Horus?

Exo - 4 conductors/wires, X8 - 8 conductors/wires, and you can choose the same wire type/material with either one. More conductors, lower overall impedance and corresponding change/improvement in pair up synergy, though cable becomes heavier and less mobile, just a part of trade off which also affects the price (double the amount of wires, higher the price). I'm currently testing Exo tri-copper.

If I'm not mistaken, Janus will be a few hundred $ less than Horus and will come with a pigtail adapter (you can terminate main cable with 2.5mm and have pigtail adapter with the same wire material to either 4.4mm or 3.5mm).

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,283 of 23,565
This janus stuff is very interesting. Are there any pictures? I've tried googling and it comes up empty...

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3,284 of 23,565
Exo - 4 conductors/wires, X8 - 8 conductors/wires, and you can choose the same wire type/material with either one. More conductors, lower overall impedance and corresponding change/improvement in pair up synergy, though cable becomes heavier and less mobile, just a part of trade off which also affects the price (double the amount of wires, higher the price). I'm currently testing Exo tri-copper.

If I'm not mistaken, Janus will be a few hundred $ less than Horus and will come with a pigtail adapter (you can terminate main cable with 2.5mm and have pigtail adapter with the same wire material to either 4.4mm or 3.5mm).
So the Exo tri-copper isn't on their website yet? Just checked and didn't see anything by that name. Thanks!

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #3,285 of 23,565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back