The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,151 of 23,720
stupid me I didn't realize that it has a DD. Give that a listen for me I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds. I like DD, but sometimes I don't like how the bass can sometimes muddy the mids

Also, keep in mind Trio is DD + 2BAs hybrid where one of the BAs is TIA driver. I did listen to universal demo of N8t at Canjam NYC, only brief listening (unfortunately, wasn't able to make it back on Sunday), and by memory (take it with a grain of salt) it did sound smooth and lush, not muddy or congested, detailed but not on the same revealing level as U12t, definitely with more emphasis toward the warmer, bassier side. Since U8 was considered to be the one with the most bass impact out of the whole line up, I assume N8t is derived and scaled up from it, though despite "8" there are actually 9 drivers in there. Furthermore, for now N8t is Custom only, not universal (yet?).

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #3,152 of 23,720
We can only hope that it will be universal. Customs are awesome, but such a PITA.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #3,153 of 23,720
We can only hope that it will be universal. Customs are awesome, but such a PITA.

To me the only pain with regard to customs is not being able to share such an incredible experience with those dear to you. I don't mind the occasional fit issue, I love to have something custom made for me, always have; knives, outdoor gear, etc. My girlfriend always sees me and is like "I wish I knew what those sounded like", she will get a taste soon though when the Trio and U12t tour package arrives. She'll be going from iphone earbuds to tri/u12t + Hugo2. :beyersmile: I just wish I'd known her when I had the Fourte/A18 tour package, that was the most epic tour ever.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,154 of 23,720
To me the only pain with regard to customs is not being able to share such an incredible experience with those dear to you.

Same here. I'd get customs if I were a professional stage musician, or if I had too much money and could get both A and U. But as it is, it just seems strange not being able to show people what it sounds like -- my girl foremost, but also friends and other audio enthusiasts. I like to loan my gear to people for long bus rides. It's cool to later discuss the sound with them, show people how expansive music gets from a good source. Universals are also great for introducing the people to the hobby (and for impoverishing them).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #3,156 of 23,720
Same here. I'd get customs if I were a professional stage musician, or if I had too much money and could get both A and U. But as it is, it just seems strange not being able to show people what it sounds like -- my girl foremost, but also friends and other audio enthusiasts. I like to loan my gear to people for long bus rides. It's cool to later discuss the sound with them, show people how expansive music gets from a good source. Universals are also great for introducing the people to the hobby (and for impoverishing them).
I always go universal because my wife uses my gear when I at work.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #3,157 of 23,720
Guys, I am on the fence with the U18T, they are just so revealing. They are so clear and so transparent with the micro details, vocals are eerily transparent.

Do you see that as a negative?

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3,158 of 23,720

Some people get Universal first to see if it stands a test of time after 6+ months of use. And if they don't have an itch to upgrade to something new, they sell universal and get custom to finalize their decision :)

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #3,160 of 23,720
I thought the a18t was sort of bright when I first got it but it pairs significantly with downstream gear. I added an Ares II+ cable and Dx200 with AMP5 and it SLAMS HARD and is much warmer than a SPC cable on AMP1. It really really is a chameleon and changes character significantly. You can absolutely fine tune the sound with careful gear pairing. More-so than anything else I've tried.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,161 of 23,720
I thought the a18t was sort of bright when I first got it but it pairs significantly with downstream gear. I added an Ares II+ cable and Dx200 with AMP5 and it SLAMS HARD and is much warmer than a SPC cable on AMP1. It really really is a chameleon and changes character significantly. You can absolutely fine tune the sound with careful gear pairing. More-so than anything else I've tried.

How do you like that AMP 5? I currently have an AMP 3 and love it, but not all my stuff is reterminated to 2.5 bal.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #3,162 of 23,720
I don't have 3, just 1, but 5 is incredible. Extremely dynamic sounding and less bright, but still very smooth extended treble. I use the Effect Audio 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor and it's also great.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #3,163 of 23,720
I'll have to look into buying one, I've heard it compared to a tube amp

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,164 of 23,720
I'll have to look into buying one, I've heard it compared to a tube amp

I wouldn't go that far, tbh. I would say it's as wide as AMP 1 with smoother treble and is more dynamic and slightly less 'airy' sounding. It's warmer, but not fully warm and gooey like a good tube amp. It is a huge improvement and I do recommend it though. Transforms the DX200 for me as AMP 1 was too flat sounding for me.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #3,165 of 23,720
I agree with you there I thought AMP 1 kind of seemed like it sounded that way so I'd buy other AMP modules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back