The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #3,166 of 23,720
Just ordered U18, the second 64 audio product I bought( the first was U8) will be able to write some comparisons Versus U8, SEM9(on sale), Samba(sold), Solar(sold) and Rhines Stage 7(current favorite).
I really enjoy the sound signature from 64, especially for smooth jazz and metalcore(still prefer solar over U8 for general metals).
Hope they would make me regret, since I started to miss my Solar a little bit for some reason...

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,167 of 23,720
I agree with you there I thought AMP 1 kind of seemed like it sounded that way so I'd buy other AMP modules.
I thought the a18t was sort of bright when I first got it but it pairs significantly with downstream gear. I added an Ares II+ cable and Dx200 with AMP5 and it SLAMS HARD and is much warmer than a SPC cable on AMP1. It really really is a chameleon and changes character significantly. You can absolutely fine tune the sound with careful gear pairing. More-so than anything else I've tried.
i am paired with the Sony wm1z which is supposed to a warmer sounding dap but I still feel the U18 to be slightly bright for me for long sessions.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,168 of 23,720
Nice! Well I just ordered AMP 5...someone was selling one in the classifieds. Serendipity!

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #3,169 of 23,720
Just ordered U18, the second 64 audio product I bought( the first was U8) will be able to write some comparisons Versus U8, SEM9(on sale), Samba(sold), Solar(sold) and Rhines Stage 7(current favorite).
I really enjoy the sound signature from 64, especially for smooth jazz and metalcore(still prefer solar over U8 for general metals).
Hope they would make me regret, since I started to miss my Solar a little bit for some reason...

Grats! lemme know how you like it....I need a busier day at work, I'm just lurking these forums too hard.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #3,170 of 23,720
I just want to give one last honest shout out to Rock and Isabel at 64 Audio. I've given them a bit of issue over the last couple of weeks (not their fault), and they've handled themselves and the company better than any company I think I've ever dealt with in my entire life. Truly world class service and professionalism from a team that does care about their customers. It's rare in this JH Audio world (#shotsfired), but I just want to say thank you to a company who's product I love for the fantastic support. It is without question the best I've ever experienced, do NOT hesitate to support this company.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #3,172 of 23,720
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3,174 of 23,720
Alright I wil listen and support this company. I am pulling out my wallet right now.

Tell them I said hi. :)

But honestly, I am continually blown away. We all know there has to be some insane markup in IEM making, but it's worth it when the service and end product is this good.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #3,175 of 23,720
I was going to say “I hope I can enjoy their services & support later”. But I suddenly noticed that customer service is really a department that you usually don’t want to contact with, just like insurance companies...

Ha - their CS / sales are fairly closely intertwined. It's a small family run business, after all.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #3,176 of 23,720
i am paired with the Sony wm1z which is supposed to a warmer sounding dap but I still feel the U18 to be slightly bright for me for long sessions.

I find the A18t slightly warmer than the U series, depending on tips. What tip are you using? I couldn't stand anything but comply with the u18, but the a18t is somehow more detailed yet warmer than the u18t was with foams.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,177 of 23,720
I thought the a18t was sort of bright when I first got it but it pairs significantly with downstream gear. I added an Ares II+ cable and Dx200 with AMP5 and it SLAMS HARD and is much warmer than a SPC cable on AMP1. It really really is a chameleon and changes character significantly. You can absolutely fine tune the sound with careful gear pairing. More-so than anything else I've tried.

Makes perfect sense, AMP1 is their brighter reference amp, while AMP5 is warmer/smoother. A DAP with replaceable amp modules makes a "chameleon" source :wink:

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,178 of 23,720
[/QUOTE]But honestly, I am continually blown away. We all know there has to be some insane markup in IEM making, but it's worth it when the service and end product is this good.[/QUOTE]
I don’t know markup is large or small, but from what I know about companies who build hi-end DACs and AMPs for big cans, the materials are cheap, but they spend lots of budget on attending hi-end concerts to get the sense of making more realistic yet enjoyable sounds.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,179 of 23,720
I find the A18t slightly warmer than the U series, depending on tips. What tip are you using? I couldn't stand anything but comply with the u18, but the a18t is somehow more detailed yet warmer than the u18t was with foams.
I only use comply foams, don’t like the cold feeling of silicon sleeves. As you said, the ares ll+ Cable reduces the brightness so I will give it a try. I see musicteck in tenafly nj has a store on amazon and they carry effect audio cables. Would probably try and get reterminated to 4.4, but will give th 3.5 a spin.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,180 of 23,720
I only use comply foams, don’t like the cold feeling of silicon sleeves. As you said, the ares ll+ Cable reduces the brightness so I will give it a try. I see musicteck in tenafly nj has a store on amazon and they carry effect audio cables. Would probably try and get reterminated to 4.4, but will give th 3.5 a spin.

Also a great store. I got my cable from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back