The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,417 of 23,565
Doesn't help, but I also had problems with fit on acs Encores (going in soon for another try), left ear never comfortable, seal not optimal as well. They do their own impressions in the NY office. Have stayed with universals since; may go for a custom again at some point, but I'm definitely gun shy now...

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,418 of 23,565
I wouldn’t be. Even with my less than ideal left ear (I’m nitpicking) the experience of customs is night and day better than Universals for me.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,419 of 23,565
Wow that is awful. Do you mind me asking what part of the IEM you requested to be changed specifically? And your general notes you sent to them? Only the very tip of mine I felt was too tight and I told them to do very minor changes, as I also fear for seal issues when they return.

Also what do you mean by give up? Surely you cannot walk away from $3,000 headphones?

I think you will be fine - no need to worry. If its just a sight trimming off the end of the canal it shouldn't effect anything else.

I had the same problem but it went away on its own. When you get them back, if you have a seal but they aren't perfect - I would just give them a few weeks.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #2,420 of 23,565
They might have assumed that people spending the money on CIEMs would also buy aftermarket cables so why include the premium cable. Universal customers might be more inclined to keep the stock cable.
The only difference between the two cables is the termination option offered on the cables for their universal line. Sonically both the cables are the same - this is info I got after speaking extensively with Isabel at 64audio

Hope this helps

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #2,422 of 23,565
Mine sits in okay at the initial insert and I do not feel sound leaking either but after a while I feel it's not sitting in tightly.
sometime feeling air pop with certain head movement. Sound wise I think it's not detrimental and in fact, it sounds same
as right piece having good fit. I just don't feel comfortable as right ear piece don't appear sit in tightly on the ear canal area.
Not exactly sure it may be positioning issue.

If you only have an issue with the tip they will most likely trim it short. So may be okay but then they were supposed to do the very
minor adjustment in the beginning for me. I am hoping I get use to this feeling air pop but if not, I will just crack it and walk away..:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,423 of 23,565
I wouldn’t be. Even with my less than ideal left ear (I’m nitpicking) the experience of customs is night and day better than Universals for me.
Really, night and day difference? I don't really hear much of a difference between U18 and A18 besides the slightly boosted bass of A18 due to better seal.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #2,425 of 23,565
Mine sits in okay at the initial insert and I do not feel sound leaking either but after a while I feel it's not sitting in tightly.
sometime feeling air pop with certain head movement. Sound wise I think it's not detrimental and in fact, it sounds same
as right piece having good fit. I just don't feel comfortable as right ear piece don't appear sit in tightly on the ear canal area.
Not exactly sure it may be positioning issue.

If you only have an issue with the tip they will most likely trim it short. So may be okay but then they were supposed to do the very
minor adjustment in the beginning for me. I am hoping I get use to this feeling air pop but if not, I will just crack it and walk away..:wink:

I think you can ask them to exchange A18 to U18 if you are not satisfied.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #2,427 of 23,565
Maybe just me but... in addition to better seal and comfort you get from customs is better tactile sense you get from larger surface area that is in contact with your ear, which I think adds important nuance, timbre, and texture to the sound. It isn't much but something that isn't difficult to sense.

If you take a closer look at the shape of your ear canal on your custom, you will notice that it isn't perfectly round. Wouldn't you want something in there that is shaped almost exactly like it rather than something perfectly round like most universal tips are? Xelantos are an exception and something I do want to try.

Well, if it is painful then it doesn't matter, customs or universal. Gotta get it out and try something else. Best of luck to you!

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2,428 of 23,565
I got the U6 during Black Friday. I love these things. My favorite listening experience.

What cable would you all recommend that wouldn't change the sig, but would open up the sound stage and add clarity? I love them, but can't help but think they could be better...as with anything, I guess. :)

I was also considering upgrading my Mojo to the Hugo 2. Would the Hugo 2 improve 9n the Mojo with this IEM?

I also use the U6 with the ifi Black Label, if that impacts your recommendation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back