May 3, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #17,147 of 23,651
My wallet is ready, lets blow the bank up! 🙃🤩🤩🤩😁😎

Buying all of them
The customs might even offer an option to have swappable APEX Modules… 👀

May 3, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #17,148 of 23,651
May 3, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #17,149 of 23,651
My wallet is ready, lets blow the bank up! 🙃🤩🤩🤩😁😎

Buying all of them
To be honest, I’m loosing the passion for this hobby (try different things all the time) seeing where the prices are heading with every new release.

Let’s see what the future will bring.

PS.: I think the right word would be excitement, instead of passion. :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #17,150 of 23,651
May 3, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #17,151 of 23,651
Lol we never know
I hope we do find out soon...I’ve got some money saved that’s burning a hole in my pocket! I was leaning towards CIEM for my next pair...but I could be swayed by something radically different. Just have to wait and see...😉

May 3, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #17,152 of 23,651
I hope we do find out soon...I’ve got some money saved that’s burning a hole in my pocket! I was leaning towards CIEM for my next pair...but I could be swayed by something radically different. Just have to wait and see...😉
Yeah same (but not the money burning a hole in my pocket tho 😂 )

I’m excited to know whether they went for planar or full-range EST for that open back IEM they showed in the teaser.

May 3, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #17,153 of 23,651
Yeah same (but not the money burning a hole in my pocket tho 😂 )

I’m excited to know whether they went for planar or full-range EST for that open back IEM they showed in the teaser.
Either of those drivers configurations would be firsts for an IEM right? I think I like the thought of a planar one...

May 4, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #17,154 of 23,651
Ok, so here are my notes from weekend joy with IEMs shown in the pic!
img7197.jpg

Huge thanks to @CL14715 for loaning me his precious Odin!

High level take-away:
  • Odin: deep bass with impact, somewhat dry mids, crisp treble with bite (fast transients), airy presentation, and wide soundstage.
  • U18s: Very detailed throughout the spectrum, restrained bass, mids with solid body/note-weight, slightly restrained treble, more centered presentation with good width.
  • Noir: Sounds like IER-Z1R with bass to low-mids elevated and add some coloration to treble. It moves air/sub-bass the same way Z1R does to create the sound space. Z1R sounds more linear from mids to treble but Noir sounds "smoother" from mids to treble (with bumps).
  • MEST: Scaled-down Odin with less extension on both ends, lower resolution across the board. Most notably in the mids where it sounds a little more rounded and softer compared to Odin.
*** Here, Z1R and MEST are supporting mentions, just because I have them and the comparison was a way to make some sense for me. Impressions below will concentrate on Odin, U18s, and Noir.
*** All "in my opinion". My first and biggest attempt at comparison. Hopefully it makes some sense...

Few sample track observations:

• Concerto for 2 Flues G Major by Cimarosa. Rampal, Kudo, and Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg.
    • Listening for nuance in flutes, orchestra, and hall ambiance.

• Odin, with its high-resolution treble, captures the breath and nuance of Rampal and Kudo. Especially during the solo sections, a beautiful ambiance and hall reverberation are reproduced.
    • Noir suppresses the treble raspiness making both flutes into a sweeter tone. Ambiance and hall reverberation are still captured here with tia drivers. It sounds as if there are fewer instruments playing on the stage.
    • U18s maintains the individual flue tone more subtly than Odin. Ambiance and hall reverberations are all there too but also subtly presented.

• Conclusion: Odin gives the airiest presentation. U18s for the most realistic timbre. Noir for the most smooth presentation.

• Elbow Grease from the album Prime Cuts by Billy Sheehan
    • Listening for Billy’s bass guitar, drums, and keys. My test for bass to mids resolution.

• Odin spreads the instruments wide and makes it easier to pick out drums, keys, and bass. With its fast rise time, Odin has the tightest presentation. Very crisp and screams high resolution. Unfortunately, it is too dry for my taste with this track. The fat sound of Billy’s bass does not come through, probably due to the upper bass slope compared to U18s and Noir.
    • Noir, in contrast, over-does the drums and bass. The slower transients smear the bass line and drums. A bit boomy and uninteresting.
    • U18s plays this beautifully. Realistic transients, drums, and bassline details are all there. The instruments are clustered closer to the center compared to Odin. Depending on your preference, this may sound congested. I actually think this is a realistic take, closest to listening at the mixing console.

• Conclusion: Odin provides a wide and bright presentation. U18s provides the most up-close to the band presentation. Noir the most blended presentation.

• Chant from the album Between the Sheets by Fourplay
    • Listening for instrument separation, drums, bassline texture, vocals, and guitar.

• Odin paints this piece with an audiophile balance (at least that’s what I would call it for lack of better terminology). The intro toms hit low with a pleasant punch, the bassline is on the drier side but articulates Nathan’s nuances very well. It is as if you are listening to him play in front of the bass speaker cabinet. Voices and percussions are airy with good texture. Highly resolving and musical. Really nice.
    • Noir seems to clean up the soundstage and pick up each instrument separately. Some of the sizzles are gone but upper treble sparkle remains. Drums and bass are fatter/throatier sounding but lose definition due to slower transients.
    • U18s has a realistic balance. You are thrown into the center of the band, drums in front of you, bass cabinet, and keyboard monitors right next to you. Magically, the instruments do not crash. They are somehow balanced and restrained, yet remain exciting, lively, and highly detailed. I can take this for hours without fatigue.

Other comments from various tracks:
  • With metal/progressive rock guitars, Odin has the most bite and gives a very tight rhythmic feel. U18s is slightly softer but has greater note weight. I find this closer to what I hear out of guitar cabinets. Noir seems too soft, not great for this genre.

• With pop/rock/jazz vocals, both Odin and U18s place the vocal forward with very good clarity. Again, Odin seems drier. For example, Tim McGraw and other country singers' throatiness come through better with U18s. Noir is hit or miss depending on the singer's range. Female vocals like Joni Mitchell sound sweet and great with Noir.
Albums used:
  • Allan Holdsworth, “The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever”
  • Nana Ou-Yang, “15”
  • Anzen Chitai, “Hires-Best”
  • Bob James, “Espresso”
  • Joni Mitchell, “Blue”
  • Keith Jarrett, “La Scala”
  • Michael Hedges, “Breakfast in the Field”
  • Misia, “Super Best Records 15th Celebration”
  • Mr. Big, “Mr. Big”
  • Ozzy Osbourne, “No Rest For the Wicked”
  • Pantera, “The Great Southern Trendkill”
  • Pat Metheny, “Bright Size Life”
  • Snails House, “Sno”
  • Steve Vai, “Flexible”
  • Tim McGraw, “Sundown Heaven Town”
  • Virgil Donati, “In This Life”
  • Wagakki Band, “Kiseki Best Collection II”
All in all, it was great to hear Odin side by side with Noir and U18s. I am happy with U18s and I don't feel the need to rush to Odin. :beerchug:

Now is a good time for 64's remaining announcement to come out so my rambling is bumped and forgotten, lol.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #17,155 of 23,651
Either of those drivers configurations would be firsts for an IEM right? I think I like the thought of a planar one...
For the Full-Range EST, Shure got that one in the books. If 64 manages to create one as an Open-back and would function without an “energizer”, and a detachable cable, then they’d be the first for those. But planar would most likely be more realistic.

It’s pretty exciting 😂

May 4, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #17,156 of 23,651
I'm hoping one is an EDC, maybe even TWS. Flagships are only interesting if they improve on previous flagships. I can't afford new flagships until they show up on the classifieds a few years down the line anyway, so for me it's like a window on the future.

May 4, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #17,157 of 23,651
You're banished...
:)

I haven't been happy with EQ. But then I use my IEMs for mobile/ traveling only and, like a later poster in this discussion, have an A&K DAP and the EQ isn't that great.
Perhaps that's something with A&K (my DAP is the AK70 Mk II).

I also have two pair from Custom Art. They provided excellent service, and also generously offered a second pair of tips to me as well. The first pair I received were also shorter than I expected. They didn't support my Trio well enough. When I inquired about the length of the tips I was told my ear canal is very narrow and they were concerned a more normal "second bend" length would be problematic. They sent me a pair anyway and dammit, they were right. I can't get the longer pair inserted at all. Money well spent to me, though: I know I need to be careful before wading into the CIEM waters.

This is me. Like a couple of others, my living room gear is mostly used for TV and movies because that's the only time I get to use it (except this weekend :) yay!). I got into IEMs and DAPs because of their portability: I can (and do) use them at work, while traveling, at home while doing chores... However, since my missus rearranged the furniture I now have a corner suitable for head phones and have taken advantage of it. I like being able to listen without having something in my ear.
Same here also. Ordered Custom Arts in Feb, got them in March and got a second free fit from them! So now i got one short pair and one longer pair. Excellent service and they are so much better then regular silicone tips on the U12T. Atleast for me! Hugely recommended!

May 6, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #17,158 of 23,651
Are the spinfits included with the u18s on sale anywhere? I couldn’t find them on 64 audio website. I know they are basically cp145 but I would like them in black :)

May 6, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #17,159 of 23,651
Are the spinfits included with the u18s on sale anywhere? I couldn’t find them on 64 audio website. I know they are basically cp145 but I would like them in black :)

NOPS I did also try to buy it and 64a said only available with a purchase of u18s

May 6, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #17,160 of 23,651
NOPS I did also try to buy it and 64a said only available with a purchase of u18s

That’s unfortunate, can’t justify buying 3000 eur of iems just for the tips ahah Anyway that’s a weird decision to not sell them, what about if u18s owners lose the tips? Btw the spinfits included with u18s look like can be good for all the other 64 audio iems and I’m sure there are other people that find the normal spinfit have pretty ridiculous colours that resemble children toys :) Not a dealbreaker for enjoying the sound of course but it’s always good to have choices

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back