The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #15,961 of 23,560
To ask the question again, in case anyone has had experience....with other brands that have both custom and universal versions of the same IEM (eg. EE LX or VE Elysium) are there known to be differences in sound between the two versions?

I've been able to compare the UIEM and CIEM versions of countless IEMs by the luxury of living in Singapore, and the concept of there being differences is very widely-known, and it's widely-acknowledged as well. I remember hearing differences on in-ears from Custom Art, Lime Ears, Vision Ears, Jomo Audio, etc. It's to the point where, if one of the shop staff has the CIEM version in their possession and they feel the difference is big enough, they'd usually encourage me to demo the IEM by force-fitting their unit instead. I remember a funny instance where the roles were reversed and the shop only had the universal demo of the FIBAE 3, while I already had the custom. They were pretty disappointed with how theirs sounded until they tried my custom, after which they sent the demo back to Piotr.

They each sounded different in their own way, and the variables that caused this are endless. The most prevalent is the one @64Audio mentioned with regards to insertion depth and the acoustic hiccups that brings. For example, I preferred the UE LIVE with the IEMs sat at the very end of my ear canal, rather than inserted as deep as possible, while the custom sounded somewhere in the middle. But, then, there's also the tips being used thrown in there too. For example, I found the Lime Ears Aether R demo most sounded like its custom with MandarinEs's Symbio tips. And, 64's own demos sounded most like their custom counterparts with their foam, TrueFidelity tips. I think this is important to note, because demo units - including 64's - are most often auditioned with silicone tips, because they're easier to clean and they're less likely to break apart after lots of demos.

Another thing to mention aside from how tips affect the IEM's output acoustically (i.e. insertion depth, how sound bounces against the tip, etc.) is how tips affect our ears' behaviour. For example, my experience with SpinFit tips is they tend to tense up my ears, which shrinks the bass response and make IEMs seem brighter. The same can be true with Final Audio's tips when paired with IEMs of a certain shape. Empire Ears' ODIN and VE's ELYSIUM are recent examples where this happened with me. And, on the other hand, you've got foam tips that are typically looser or more malleable, which let your ears relax and help that bass breathe better. Again, though, that's just my experience. Perhaps, someone else with different ears may hear different changes or no changes at all. By the same token, CIEMs can sometimes fit tighter or looser depending on the make, which can cause these sorts of changes as well. So, even if the output of the demo was made to match the custom (or compensated to do so in some way), there's then the added factor of the fit mucking things up as well, and the manufacturer can't guarantee that a universal will fit your ears the way they want to. That's what customs are for.

The way manufacturers deal with this varies. You've got manufacturers that keep the internals the same and try to make the fit of the shell as custom-like as possible. An example would be Hidition, who used to make demos with giant canals and have people demo them without tips. They felt tips changed how their demos sounded, and this method achieved the most custom-like tuning. But, they eventually changed to the more traditional method, probably because people weren't too keen on holding the demos in place in their ears throughout the duration of the audition. Then you have guys like Piotr from Custom Art, who tunes the universals differently until they sound close to what he's hearing on his custom unit. It seems like 64 have a similar method, though I don't know whether it's done by ear like Piotr, or whether it's based on measurements.

So, yeah, ultimately, you can't come up with a perfect solution, because everyone's ears are different. You just gotta do the best you can and hope it works out. I personally don't recall being disappointed by any CIEM I've bought and preferring the universal. It's probably because I hate the feeling of tips in my ears in general, and I'd simply take the custom no matter what. But, as always, your mileage will vary. @twister6, for example, has the opposite thing where his ears can only take universals. :D

What I've learned is that if you like how a universal demo sounds with a certain pair of tips, then it's best to just get that universal with those tips. That'd be even more ideal if you already preferred universals in the first place. Going custom, sound difference risk aside, brings with it far better isolation (to most), fit (to some) and visual customisability. But, as far as just sound goes, this would probably be your safest - not best, but safest - bet, rather than the "get the custom if you like the demo" line that a lot of dealers tend to preach.

Not sure about other brands, but 64 Audio customs seem consistently darker than their universals, if the measurements are anything to go by (and anecdotally the A12t is definitely darker than the U12t).

Based on how both graphs look, it looks like there's an almost calculated difference between the universal and the custom. It strongly suggests the differences were intentional. Now, whether or not that difference is "good" and whether or not 64's compensation worked is an entirely different story. There's, again, that question of a difference between the demo and the custom being perhaps (unintentionally) dishonest for potential buyers. But, again, based on what I've been told by dealers, and based on images 64 have shown of their prototype Fourté, I'm under the impression that the universals are supposed to be worn with the foam TrueFidelity tips, which would theoretically bring the treble down and match the custom. Perhaps, that's what's causing the discrepancy. Of course, then there are differences like the N8's bass, which has been widely documented. But, as far as the treble goes, that would be my theory; dunno whether it's right or wrong.

Custom Art try to keep the differences between universal and ciem as minimal as possible.

Everyone tries their best to do so, I'd like to think. They each just do it differently. Piotr matches his demos to the custom by ear. Some may say it's a great method because it's using a human ear (and those of the IEM's designer, no less) as a reference, rather than a mic and a graph, while others may feel the opposite way. Again, there's no perfect method; just the ones that are as close to it as possible.

These kind of findings should be defensible by any manufacturer. I wished 64 Audio included a copy of the test results with each custom monitor to substantiate the monitors are within the spec of their target curves. 64 Audio claimed they test each custom pair in a promo video so the data is available. And its not an unreasonable suggestion to provide the results, in fact, Sennheiser has done this for many years and issued the graphs for every pair on a printed card or USB flash stick (e.g. the HD 800 series).

I have doubts about my A18S and they seem too dark/congested. While still generally excellent, I can’t imagine it’s the tuning 64 Audio intended.

Unique Melody used to do this when I got my customs from them. Back when they reshelled IEMs, they'd also print out a graph comparing the original CIEM's response vs. the reshelled one's. I'm aware companies who do reshells like Ambient Acoustics do this as well. I'm championing for more manufacturers to do it too. At the same time, I've heard from some that they'd like to keep their "recipes" secret, so they're more reluctant to do this. It all depends on the brand, I think.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #15,962 of 23,560
I've been able to compare the UIEM and CIEM versions of countless IEMs by the luxury of living in Singapore, and the concept of there being differences is very widely-known, and it's widely-acknowledged as well. I remember hearing differences on in-ears from Custom Art, Lime Ears, Vision Ears, Jomo Audio, etc. It's to the point where, if one of the shop staff has the CIEM version in their possession and they feel the difference is big enough, they'd usually encourage me to demo the IEM by force-fitting their unit instead. I remember a funny instance where the roles were reversed and the shop only had the universal demo of the FIBAE 3, while I already had the custom. They were pretty disappointed with how theirs sounded until they tried my custom, after which they sent the demo back to Piotr.

They each sounded different in their own way, and the variables that caused this are endless. The most prevalent is the one 64 Audio mentioned with regards to insertion depth and the acoustic hiccups that brings. For example, I preferred the UE LIVE with the IEMs sat at the very end of my ear canal, rather than inserted as deep as possible, while the custom sounded somewhere in the middle. But, then, there's also the tips being used thrown in there too. For example, I found the Lime Ears Aether R demo most sounded like its custom with MandarinEs's Symbio tips. And, 64's own demos sounded most like their custom counterparts with their foam, TrueFidelity tips. I think this is important to note, because demo units - including 64's - are most often auditioned with silicone tips, because they're easier to clean, and they're less likely to break apart after lots of demos.

Another thing to mention aside from how tips affect the IEM's output acoustically (i.e. insertion depth, how sound bounces against the tip, etc.) is how tips affect our ears' behaviour. For example, my experience with SpinFit tips is they tend to tense up my ears, which shrinks the bass response and make IEMs seem brighter. The same can be true with Final Audio's tips when paired with IEMs of a certain shape. Empire Ears' ODIN and VE's ELYSIUM are recent examples where this happened with me. And, on the other hand, you've got foam tips that are typically looser or more malleable, which let your ears relax and help that bass breathe better. Again, though, that's just my experience. Perhaps, someone else with different ears may hear different changes, or no changes at all. By the same token, CIEMs can sometimes fit tighter or looser depending on the make, which can cause these sorts of changes as well. So, even if the output of the demo was made to match the custom (or compensated to do so in some way), then there's the added factor of the fit mucking things up as well, and the manufacturer can't guarantee that a universal will fit your ears the way they want to. That's what customs are for.

The way manufacturers deal with this varies. You've got manufacturers that keep the internals the same and try to make the fit of the shell as custom-like as possible. An example would be Hidition, who used to make demos with giant canals and have people demo them without tips. They felt tips changed how their demos sounded, and that this method achieved the most custom-like tuning. But, they eventually changed to the more traditional method, probably because people weren't too keen on holding the demos in their ears throughout the duration of the audition. Then you have guys like Piotr from Custom Art, who tunes the universals differently until they sound close to what he's hearing on his custom unit. It seems like 64 have a similar method, though I don't know whether it's done by ear like Piotr, or whether it's based on measurements.

So, yeah, ultimately, you can't come up with a perfect solution, because everyone's ears are different. You just gotta do the best you can and hope it works out. I personally don't recall being disappointed by any CIEM I've owned and preferring the universal. It's probably because I hate the feeling of tips in my ears in general, and I'd simply take the custom no matter what. But, as always, your mileage will vary. @twister6, for example, has the opposite thing where his ears can only take universals. :D

Based on how both graphs look, it looks like there's an almost calculated difference between the universal and the custom. It strongly suggests the differences were intentional. Now, whether or not that difference is "good" and whether or not 64's compensation worked is an entirely different story. But, again, based on what I've been told by dealers, and based on images 64 have shown of their prototype Fourté, I'm under the impression that the universals are supposed to be worn with the foam TrueFidelity tips, which would theoretically bring the treble down and match the custom. Perhaps, that's what's causing the discrepancy. Of course, then there are differences like the N8's bass, which has been widely documented. But, as far as the treble goes, that would be my theory; dunno whether it's right or wrong.

Everyone tries their best to do so, I'd like to think. They each just do it differently. Piotr matches his demos to the custom by ear. Some may say it's a great method because it's using a human ear (and those of the IEM's designer, no less) as a reference, rather than a mic and a graph, while others may feel the opposite way. Again, there's no perfect method; just the ones that are as close to it as possible.

Unique Melody used to do this when I got my customs from them. Back when they reshelled IEMs, they'd also print out a graph comparing the original CIEM's response vs. the reshelled one's. I'm aware companies who do reshells like Ambient Acoustics do this as well. I'm championing for more manufacturers to do it too. At the same time, I've heard from some that they'd like to keep their "recipes" secret, so they're more reluctant to do this. It all depends on the brand, I think.

Very well said Daniel! :thumbsup:

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #15,963 of 23,560

They each sounded different in their own way, and the variables that caused this are endless. The most prevalent is the one @64Audio mentioned with regards to insertion depth and the acoustic hiccups that brings. For example, I preferred the UE LIVE with the IEMs sat at the very end of my ear canal, rather than inserted as deep as possible, while the custom sounded somewhere in the middle. But, then, there's also the tips being used thrown in there too. For example, I found the Lime Ears Aether R demo most sounded like its custom with MandarinEs's Symbio tips. And, 64's own demos sounded most like their custom counterparts with their foam, TrueFidelity tips. I think this is important to note, because demo units - including 64's - are most often auditioned with silicone tips, because they're easier to clean and they're less likely to break apart after lots of demos.

Another thing to mention aside from how tips affect the IEM's output acoustically (i.e. insertion depth, how sound bounces against the tip, etc.) is how tips affect our ears' behaviour. For example, my experience with SpinFit tips is they tend to tense up my ears, which shrinks the bass response and make IEMs seem brighter. The same can be true with Final Audio's tips when paired with IEMs of a certain shape. Empire Ears' ODIN and VE's ELYSIUM are recent examples where this happened with me. And, on the other hand, you've got foam tips that are typically looser or more malleable, which let your ears relax and help that bass breathe better. Again, though, that's just my experience. Perhaps, someone else with different ears may hear different changes or no changes at all. By the same token, CIEMs can sometimes fit tighter or looser depending on the make, which can cause these sorts of changes as well. So, even if the output of the demo was made to match the custom (or compensated to do so in some way), there's then the added factor of the fit mucking things up as well, and the manufacturer can't guarantee that a universal will fit your ears the way they want to. That's what customs are for.

The way manufacturers deal with this varies. You've got manufacturers that keep the internals the same and try to make the fit of the shell as custom-like as possible. An example would be Hidition, who used to make demos with giant canals and have people demo them without tips. They felt tips changed how their demos sounded, and this method achieved the most custom-like tuning. But, they eventually changed to the more traditional method, probably because people weren't too keen on holding the demos in place in their ears throughout the duration of the audition. Then you have guys like Piotr from Custom Art, who tunes the universals differently until they sound close to what he's hearing on his custom unit. It seems like 64 have a similar method, though I don't know whether it's done by ear like Piotr, or whether it's based on measurements.

So, yeah, ultimately, you can't come up with a perfect solution, because everyone's ears are different. You just gotta do the best you can and hope it works out. I personally don't recall being disappointed by any CIEM I've bought and preferring the universal. It's probably because I hate the feeling of tips in my ears in general, and I'd simply take the custom no matter what. But, as always, your mileage will vary. @twister6, for example, has the opposite thing where his ears can only take universals. :D

What I've learned is that if you like how a universal demo sounds with a certain pair of tips, then it's best to just get that universal with those tips. It'd be even more ideal if you like universals and their resale value in the first place. Going custom adds that sound difference risk, but brings with it far better isolation (to most), fit (to some) and visual customisability. But, as far as just sound goes, that would probably be your safest bet, rather than the "get the custom if you like the demo" line that a lot of dealers tend to preach.

Based on how both graphs look, it looks like there's an almost calculated difference between the universal and the custom. It strongly suggests the differences were intentional. Now, whether or not that difference is "good" and whether or not 64's compensation worked is an entirely different story. There's, again, that question of a difference between the demo and the custom being perhaps dishonest for potential buyers. But, again, based on what I've been told by dealers, and based on images 64 have shown of their prototype Fourté, I'm under the impression that the universals are supposed to be worn with the foam TrueFidelity tips, which would theoretically bring the treble down and match the custom. Perhaps, that's what's causing the discrepancy. Of course, then there are differences like the N8's bass, which has been widely documented. But, as far as the treble goes, that would be my theory; dunno whether it's right or wrong.

You should publish an official Head-Fi Reference Manual, Daniel.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #15,964 of 23,560
You should publish an official Head-Fi Reference Manual, Daniel.
Very well said Daniel! :thumbsup:

Haha, thanks. Again, I've been blessed with the experience of having lived somewhere with the world's in-ear catalog at my fingertips. I've edited the post a bit for further clarification. But, in case it's been missed, the lesson I'd take away is this: If you like how a universal demo sounds with a certain pair of tips, then it's best to just get that universal with those tips. That'd be even more ideal if you already preferred universals in the first place. Going custom, sound difference risk aside, brings with it far better isolation (to most), fit (to some) and visual customisability. But, as far as just sound goes, this would probably be your safest - not best, but safest - bet, rather than the "get the custom if you like the demo" line that a lot of dealers tend to preach.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #15,965 of 23,560
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #15,966 of 23,560
Mannn! What happened to the avatar! Where is the sexy Diana's V2 ! Noooo

It’s a picture of the super blood blue moon I took more than 2 years ago :relaxed: it’s sexier than Diana V2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #15,967 of 23,560
It’s a picture of the super blood blue moon I took more than 2 years ago :relaxed: it’s sexier than Diana V2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nothing can be more sexy then Diana 😝🤠🤩

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #15,968 of 23,560
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #15,969 of 23,560
...as far as just sound goes, this would probably be your safest - not best, but safest - bet, rather than the "get the custom if you like the demo" line that a lot of dealers tend to preach.

Gold right here and excellent advice!

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #15,970 of 23,560
Haha, thanks. Again, I've been blessed with the experience of having lived somewhere with the world's in-ear catalog at my fingertips. I've edited the post a bit for further clarification. But, in case it's been missed, the lesson I'd take away is this: If you like how a universal demo sounds with a certain pair of tips, then it's best to just get that universal with those tips. That'd be even more ideal if you already preferred universals in the first place. Going custom, sound difference risk aside, brings with it far better isolation (to most), fit (to some) and visual customisability. But, as far as just sound goes, this would probably be your safest - not best, but safest - bet, rather than the "get the custom if you like the demo" line that a lot of dealers tend to preach.

And to add to this, besides the risk that custom might not sound exactly the same like universal demo or universal model due to insertion depth and variation in earcanal shape , if you are not happy with CIEM purchase after auditioning Uni demo, you are stuck with it or will take a financial hit trying to sell it later since buyer will have to invest into reshelling. Just something to keep in mind as well. But on the other hand, in the past I knew of some people who contacted 64 Audio support for that exact reason and worked out a deal to switch back to Uni.

Also, as Daniel mentioned, for me personally CIEM is a no-go due to a sharp first bend in my left earcanal. As a result, nozzle needs to be trimmed short to the point where it looks like universal, and of course right shell has to match it. Here is how my N8 CIEM looks:

64audio_n8-24.jpg

CIEMs are designed and tuned for a deeper insertion and I do hear a difference between Custom and Uni, like I have experienced in the past with U12 vs A12 (original, before Tia) and A18s vs A18s Uni demo which I have been using and featuring lately in many of my Reviews. A18s uni demo is tuned to sound like custom A18s with a proper deep insertion, and I just hope one day 64 Audio will release it as universal model :wink:

So, I can only speak from my personal experience, but I do lose treble extension and top end is slightly attenuated with customs because they are designed/tuned for deeper insertion while my ears are not designed for that :p But that is relative to my own "custom" earcanal anatomy, and as many are aware, earcanal is another sound-shaping filter before the sound reaches your eardrum.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #15,971 of 23,560
So, I can only speak from my personal experience, but I do loose treble extension and top end is slightly attenuated with customs because they are designed/tuned for deeper insertion while my ears are not designed for that :p But that is relative to my own "custom" earcanal anatomy, and as many are aware, earcanal is another sound-shaping filter before the sound reaches your eardrum.

Then maybe I have a similar anatomy since I experienced the same thing on loosing treble extension.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #15,972 of 23,560
"losing" extension, gents. :upside_down:

personal experience of custom vs. universal in a nutshell:

universal:
- less overall detail
- less prominent bass
- slightly sharper treble

custom:
- more detail and better dynamic range (arguably due to more isolation and closer-to-eardrum tip placement)
- more extended but smoother treble
- deeper and more powerful bass

of course, everything in my world turned upside-down when i heard the erlky and found that to be some of the best sound i'd ever heard...and i swore i'd never go back to universals. now, the traillii is in the mix as well, and those are my only two iems, so...

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #15,973 of 23,560

universal:
- less overall detail
- less prominent bass

custom:
- more detail (arguably due to more isolation and closer-to-eardrum tip placement)

of course, everything in my world turned upside-down when i heard the erlky and found that to be the best sound i'd ever heard...and i swore i'd never go back to universals. now, the traillii is in the mix as well, and those are my only two iems, so...

🤷‍♂️

sometimes my fingers type faster, ahead of my "loose" brain, before I catch up with what I'm actually typing :p

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #15,974 of 23,560

universal:
- less overall detail
- less prominent bass

custom:
- more detail (arguably due to more isolation and closer-to-eardrum tip placement)

of course, everything in my world turned upside-down when i heard the erlky and found that to be the best sound i'd ever heard...and i swore i'd never go back to universals. now, the traillii is in the mix as well, and those are my only two iems, so...

🤷‍♂️

Yeah, 90% of the time, these are the broad differences I've noticed as well. Another thing to note for me would be greater, more vivid dynamics on the custom. Again, having tips in my ears causes that vacuum effect; somewhat like a minor version of the suck-out you experience in your ears when you're on a flight. That deadens the music's impact for me after a while, and it's one of my least favourite aspects of listening to a universal.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #15,975 of 23,560
Yeah, 90% of the time, these are the broad differences I've noticed as well. Another thing to note for me would be greater, more vivid dynamics on the custom. Again, having tips in my ears causes that vacuum effect; somewhat like a minor version of the suck-out you experience in your ears when you're on a flight. That deadens the music's impact for me after a while, and it's one of my least favourite aspects of listening to a universal.
agree.

added "dynamic range" to "detail."

:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back