The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #409 of 754
My first try at a driver enclosure for the SennGrado.

Brilliant stuff...that would be tricky to make...rather small sizing...

Would be good to somehow get mesh over the diaphragm too. Makes me squeamish seeing it in the open like that...the problem is, when I did that with some brass mesh and KSC75 drivers a while back, they suddenly became intolerably fatiguing. Hopefully the PX100 ii drivers react differently.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #410 of 754
Brilliant stuff...that would be tricky to make...rather small sizing...

Would be good to somehow get mesh over the diaphragm too. Makes me squeamish seeing it in the open like that...the problem is, when I did that with some brass mesh and KSC75 drivers a while back, they suddenly became intolerably fatiguing. Hopefully the PX100 ii drivers react differently.

Yes, I'm going to have to protect the driver somehow, although I think I'll be fine as long as I don't let anyone else use it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #411 of 754
  My first try at a driver enclosure for the SennGrado.

The wooden rings for the driver housing look and fit very nice.  Hearing some sound impressions would be interesting.  I could imaging there could be some changes - for the better by getting the driver out of the black plastic housing.

I just wanted to post a follow-up based on my experience since I posted some impressions for the Sennheiser PXC-250 II.  Initially, I thought they were quite capable drivers and I went ahead and utilized them for about 3 weeks.  However, a pair of PX-100 II drivers were recently installed into the cups.  In many ways, I can really appreciate the sound of the PX-100 II driver.  Not that I'm changing my mind ... well sort of, but I'll still have to recommend the PX-100 II drivers over the PXC-250 II drivers.  

I'm playing some Morphine on them at the moment.  Morphine's signature is a very dark, yet thick and full sound.  The kick drums, the electric bass, as well as a saxophone just motors.  They were quite talented.  They released their first album in 1991, but then their front man died suddenly in 1999.

Here's a quote that best describes what they offer:

What made Morphine more than a novelty was Sandman's brilliant songwriting, which fused shards of blues, funk, jazz, rock and poetry into a unique and thrilling synthesis; and the interaction between the three musicians. Morphine took all the conventions of what a rock band was supposed to be and stood them on their head. Sandman's fluid runs made two strings do the duty of bass, rhythm and lead guitar. Colley -- to my ears, one of the two or three best horn players in the history of rock -- refused to relegate his sax to the solo spotlight, playing meaty riffs that made him an integral part of the songs' foundation. And Conway was a genius at knowing what not to play, leaving plenty of space for Mark and Dana to create their groove.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #412 of 754
The wooden rings for the driver housing look and fit very nice.  Hearing some sound impressions would be interesting.  I could imaging there could be some changes - for the better by getting the driver out of the black plastic housing.

I just wanted to post a follow-up based on my experience since I posted some impressions for the Sennheiser PXC-250 II.  Initially, I thought they were quite capable drivers and I went ahead and utilized them for about 3 weeks.  However, a pair of PX-100 II drivers were recently installed into the cups.  In many ways, I can really appreciate the sound of the PX-100 II driver.  Not that I'm changing my mind ... well sort of, but I'll still have to recommend the PX-100 II drivers over the PXC-250 II drivers.  

I'm playing some Morphine on them at the moment.  Morphine's signature is a very dark, yet thick and full sound.  The kick drums, the electric bass, as well as a saxophone just motors.  They were quite talented.  They released their first album in 1991, but then their front man died suddenly in 1999.

Here's a quote that best describes what they offer:

What made Morphine more than a novelty was Sandman's brilliant songwriting, which fused shards of blues, funk, jazz, rock and poetry into a unique and thrilling synthesis; and the interaction between the three musicians. Morphine took all the conventions of what a rock band was supposed to be and stood them on their head. Sandman's fluid runs made two strings do the duty of bass, rhythm and lead guitar. Colley -- to my ears, one of the two or three best horn players in the history of rock -- refused to relegate his sax to the solo spotlight, playing meaty riffs that made him an integral part of the songs' foundation. And Conway was a genius at knowing what not to play, leaving plenty of space for Mark and Dana to create their groove.

Morphine were brilliant...

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #414 of 754
If you guys dig on morphine, you should check out another band, pseudopod. Similar sound and instrumentation from the same time who also was gone to soon.

Very nice.  I will look for some of their material too.  While having Morphine on last evening, another song with a "weighty" low end came to mind, but I didn't have time to listen to it last evening.  "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground is excellent in that regard.  Not necessarily strong kick-drums, but their bass player is really providing a lot of the sound in the song.  Simply Amazing.  Ironically, I was heading into work late this morning and "Sex and Candy" came on via the station I was listening to.  Talk about being pumped up behind the wheel.  Before I knew it, I was up to 80 MPH -
eek.gif
, and then had to adjust downward accordingly.

Last evening's session then went onto material by Melody Gardot.  Not only are her songs great, but her looks ... are pretty lovely too!

I had about a month sabbatical from the Senn Grados.  I had been doing a number of other hybrids with Audio Technica.  While their low end isn't stellar, for more than a few of my genres, the detail for percussion as well as the quite wide sound stage an openness are something I desire at times too.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #415 of 754
Good job with wooden rings 7keys! Two things, the first - recessing px100 driver may negatively affect sound, for me the best sound is achieved with drivers as close to ear as possible. The second thing is - you really should think about driver protection, not only from physical damages, but from dust. It may be only my problem, because of all the metalwork in my shop, but magnetic dust is your worst enemy - it sticks to diaphragm, and make drivers rattle, and sound really bad. So i use aluminium mesh and black pantyhose as a filter. Here is a photo of my driver enclosures, early version without filter. (Sadly I learned about magnetic dust in a hard way)

The other thing, I think that the easiest way to make wooden driver rings is to make a tube with inner diameter identical to px100's, and outer diameter obviously the same as grado driver diameter (46mm or so), and just cut slices ot that tube. Then glue drivers into rings, with epoxy or putty. Only my 2 cents :)

BTW, my new nongrado headphones (40mm driver from blaupunkt comfort acoustica clip on headphones)

Hope you like it :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #416 of 754
  So i use aluminium mesh and black pantyhose as a filter. Here is a photo of my driver enclosures, early version without filter. (Sadly I learned about magnetic dust in a hard way)

The other thing, I think that the easiest way to make wooden driver rings is to make a tube with inner diameter identical to px100's, and outer diameter obviously the same as grado driver diameter (46mm or so), and just cut slices ot that tube. Then glue drivers into rings, with epoxy or putty. Only my 2 cents :)

BTW, my new nongrado headphones (40mm driver from blaupunkt comfort acoustica clip on headphones)

Hope you like it :)

Nice work!

I think I might give the pantyhose a try as a filter.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #417 of 754

Very nice.  I will look for some of their material too.  While having Morphine on last evening, another song with a "weighty" low end came to mind, but I didn't have time to listen to it last evening.  "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground is excellent in that regard.  Not necessarily strong kick-drums, but their bass player is really providing a lot of the sound in the song.  Simply Amazing.  Ironically, I was heading into work late this morning and "Sex and Candy" came on via the station I was listening to.  Talk about being pumped up behind the wheel.  Before I knew it, I was up to 80 MPH -
eek.gif
, and then had to adjust downward accordingly.

Last evening's session then went onto material by Melody Gardot.  Not only are her songs great, but her looks ... are pretty lovely too!

I had about a month sabbatical from the Senn Grados.  I had been doing a number of other hybrids with Audio Technica.  While their low end isn't stellar, for more than a few of my genres, the detail for percussion as well as the quite wide sound stage an openness are something I desire at times too.

Well, while we're on this little sub-genre of male-trip-hop-whatever-wonky-LAness....don't forget to give Soul Coughing a go...

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #419 of 754

I stayed home today - just was sick of work so a sick day was quite fitting.  This past Sunday, I thought I was going to try a Hifiman project so I ordered the Focus pads.  I was able to cancel on the Hifiman headphones, but the pads had been shipped and arrived to. Being the dreamer that I am, I thought instantly of trying them on the Senn Grados.  A small bit of retrofit and the pads are held in place.  I'm liking the sound quite well, and the comfort is stellar.

Pictures as follows:

#1 - The outer rims of the cut wooden cups received a 1/4" layer of foam adhesive.  This is protection for me since the cushion section of the Focus pads is still outside the circular diameter of the wooden cup.  They are comfortbabl, and the sound really is quite good.  I'm not suggesting for anyone to drop $44.00 and buy a pair of pads.  However, if you have older pads by Sennheiser, Beyer, etc., they might be worth a similar try.

#2 - The pad is set in place of the baffle area of the cup.  As you can see, there is some leakage in the transition from the back of the pad to resting on the wooden cup.

# 3 --  A view from the bottom to reflect how I've set the pads in place and you can see the proportion difference between the cup and the pad.

# 4 - On final view of how the pads are meeting up at the wooden cup section.  As you can see is far from perfect.   I'm hopeful that I can devise a better method for using the pads with the Senn Grado headphones.

I'm just pushing a lot of genres through them at this tim e

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #420 of 754
I stayed home today - just was sick of work so a sick day was quite fitting.  This past Sunday, I thought I was going to try a Hifiman project so I ordered the Focus pads.  I was able to cancel on the Hifiman headphones, but the pads had been shipped and arrived to. Being the dreamer that I am, I thought instantly of trying them on the Senn Grados.  A small bit of retrofit and the pads are held in place.  I'm liking the sound quite well, and the comfort is stellar.

Pictures as follows:

#1 - The outer rims of the cut wooden cups received a 1/4" layer of foam adhesive.  This is protection for me since the cushion section of the Focus pads is still outside the circular diameter of the wooden cup.  They are comfortbabl, and the sound really is quite good.  I'm not suggesting for anyone to drop $44.00 and buy a pair of pads.  However, if you have older pads by Sennheiser, Beyer, etc., they might be worth a similar try.

#2 - The pad is set in place of the baffle area of the cup.  As you can see, there is some leakage in the transition from the back of the pad to resting on the wooden cup.

# 3 --  A view from the bottom to reflect how I've set the pads in place and you can see the proportion difference between the cup and the pad.

# 4 - On final view of how the pads are meeting up at the wooden cup section.  As you can see is far from perfect.   I'm hopeful that I can devise a better method for using the pads with the Senn Grado headphones.

I'm just pushing a lot of genres through them at this tim e

Hmmm...I guess if I had the right piece of wood I could make a pair of cups with an exaggerated lip that has the circumference necessary to hold the bigger pads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back