The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #393 of 754
Just writing to report that I have tried two pair of drivers in a SennGrado-type set-up with great results. Since I already own an old pair of Sennheiser PX100's and a pair of Koss KSC35's, I bought a sacrificial pair of cheap Vivitar DJ headphones mentioned here on HeadFi and attached their headband to a pair of mahogany cups made by Fleasbaby (many thanks!). For pads, I purchased a pair of Earzonk L cushions on Amazon, so the whole project has been accomplished quite reasonably.

Each pair of drivers, once removed from its respective headband/ earclips, slid easily right into place in the cups. Though I'm not sure which sounds better between the two, I can say unequivocally that both sound remarkably better than either did in its original configuration! All frequencies, soundstage, clarity, liveliness leapt up creating sounds that are more natural, more fun, and more accurate than most headphones I've tried! Simply amazing!

As one can easily tell, I really am delighted with both results and can only imagine how much better the highly-touted Sennheiser PX100 II's might sound. I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200 II's I'm tempted to try, as well, but I've been waiting to hear others' experiences and thoughts on the matter.

Many thanks to the SennGrado trailblazers who came up with this clever idea and have shared it here!

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #396 of 754
Sony MDR-V6 in lightening deal for $50. With 40mm drivers and what appears to be a usable headband, I might have to bite build a pair of Sony-grados?
Anyone tried this particular set or something similar?

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #397 of 754
Just writing to report that I have tried two pair of drivers in a SennGrado-type set-up with great results. Since I already own an old pair of Sennheiser PX100's and a pair of Koss KSC35's, I bought a sacrificial pair of cheap Vivitar DJ headphones mentioned here on HeadFi and attached their headband to a pair of mahogany cups made by Fleasbaby (many thanks!). For pads, I purchased a pair of Earzonk L cushions on Amazon, so the whole project has been accomplished quite reasonably.

Each pair of drivers, once removed from its respective headband/ earclips, slid easily right into place in the cups. Though I'm not sure which sounds better between the two, I can say unequivocally that both sound remarkably better than either did in its original configuration! All frequencies, soundstage, clarity, liveliness leapt up creating sounds that are more natural, more fun, and more accurate than most headphones I've tried! Simply amazing!

As one can easily tell, I really am delighted with both results and can only imagine how much better the highly-touted Sennheiser PX100 II's might sound. I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200 II's I'm tempted to try, as well, but I've been waiting to hear others' experiences and thoughts on the matter.

Many thanks to the SennGrado trailblazers who came up with this clever idea and have shared it here!

I've had a pair of the PX-100 drivers (non II series) in the past.  I did have them in wooden cups and I don't recall a significant difference.  I do know that in the threads on the actual PX-100 vs. PX-100 II headphones, people seem to reflect that the newer "II" series has a more friendly upper frequency presentation and possibly a bit better bass.  But, again, at the time, I don't recall the differences being too dramatic when used for the SennGrado configuration.  However, if others have had a very noted experience reflecting more dramatic differences, please share.  We all learn from the experiences of others.

That would be Mod Master Wje

Actually, as we go back into history a bit, Stratocaster did do some variations of headphones with the Sennheiser drivers.  He also brought us the famed "StratoKosster" too.  Unfortunately, the thread related to the StratoKosster pads and how to make a pair of leather/pleather pads for that variation was corrupted / lost, etc.  I just somehow recycled the idea of a SennGrado and it took wings.  All ideas come from others - bits and pieces of previous experiences all contribute towards what we have available today.  Fortunately, I don't get frustrated with traffic and commuting, but use the time to think, solve problems with systems I've created, and collect ideas on extending this hobby a bit further.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #398 of 754
Sony MDR-V6 in lightening deal for $50. With 40mm drivers and what appears to be a usable headband, I might have to bite build a pair of Sony-grados?
Anyone tried this particular set or something similar?

The V6 without it's pads, which has a dense foam under the dust cover, is quite sibilant. With the pad it has a laid back sound compared to actual Grados. You might need to work in the foam pad or use felt between the drivers and your ear to use the V6 drivers.

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #399 of 754
Hi Guys,

I've been working on getting a variety of drivers to play around with. I've been wondering if others would be interested in purchasing some as well. It seems from this thread there would be a few people looking for some options. I'm considering 10 different drivers in the 1@30mm, 2@50mm, and 7@40mm at 16-32 ohms. I have some frequency response graphs from the manufacturer which unfortunately I can't share but I have done a few mods and they sound good enough for me to want to buy more. My best guess is these would be about $5 each retail. Obviously it would depend on the sound quality but curious how many you guys would be interested in purchasing, if any at all. They'll be shipping slowly by boat so I'd like to get as many as possible without going overboard... Probably will take a couple months to get here.

Feel free to discuss in this thread but I think if there are people interested, it may be easier to send me a PM so I can keep track of who's in.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #400 of 754
Hi

New phones here, based on blaupunkt comfort acoustica drivers, worth about 10$ new. I placed drivers in aluminium housings, for better treble response, compostite cups (mahogany + flamed maple driver sockets) Tonality and overall sq similar to my modded SR325, the latter being a bit better, with less low frequencies, and better mids (vocals sounded fuller with sr325)

Aluminium shells here:

This time it's semi-open design, 6mm vent, and various damping inside. They sound airy, with good accuracy, and medium soundstage (a bit smaller than SR325's)

Next week I'm going to try px 100 drivers in aluminium shells, hope that highs won't kill me.  :D

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #401 of 754
  Hi

New phones here, based on blaupunkt comfort acoustica drivers, worth about 10$ new. I placed drivers in aluminium housings, for better treble response, compostite cups (mahogany + flamed maple driver sockets) Tonality and overall sq similar to my modded SR325, the latter being a bit better, with less low frequencies, and better mids (vocals sounded fuller with sr325)

Aluminium shells here:

This time it's semi-open design, 6mm vent, and various damping inside. They sound airy, with good accuracy, and medium soundstage (a bit smaller than SR325's)

Next week I'm going to try px 100 drivers in aluminium shells, hope that highs won't kill me.  :D

wow that's gorgeous! I love the Wood Accents  and the aluminum gimbles 

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #402 of 754
  Hi Guys,

I've been working on getting a variety of drivers to play around with. I've been wondering if others would be interested in purchasing some as well. It seems from this thread there would be a few people looking for some options. I'm considering 10 different drivers in the 1@30mm, 2@50mm, and 7@40mm at 16-32 ohms. I have some frequency response graphs from the manufacturer which unfortunately I can't share but I have done a few mods and they sound good enough for me to want to buy more. My best guess is these would be about $5 each retail. Obviously it would depend on the sound quality but curious how many you guys would be interested in purchasing, if any at all. They'll be shipping slowly by boat so I'd like to get as many as possible without going overboard... Probably will take a couple months to get here.

Feel free to discuss in this thread but I think if there are people interested, it may be easier to send me a PM so I can keep track of who's in.

PM'ed!

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #405 of 754
Lovely
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you take off the black plastic?

Yes, I've had some problems with the plastic enclosures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back