The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #316 of 754
The bass can be a bit to much at times, connected straight to my Mac mini they sound great except for the really bass heavy songs. If I use my little bear tube amp I will use a tube with the least amount of bass to match the mini macs direct output.

...which Little Bear amp are you using? Have heard mixed reviews about sound and quality...

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #317 of 754
I have the P-1, it's basically an upgraded indeed g2, but I have done most of the upgrades listed for the indeed g2 amp anyway. For instance they already have nichicon caps installed, but I changed them to units listed as audio grade. The upgrades do make a good difference, but it will run noticably hotter. With the upgrades I have maybe $75 in to it altogether , if your looking for cheep it's a pretty good option.

Eventually I would like to build the project ember and see how much better it sounds, but for now I'm pretty happy with my setup on the senngrados.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #318 of 754
Here's where in got so far. I snagged the drivers from a new kit so they need burn in. I plugged them in to hear them out stock and found the bass just a bit more than what I want but I'm hoping burn in handles that.

Cups were made by 7keys, really something to appreciate up close in person. Depending on light angle it can look a light brown to a more pronounced light brown color wood.

The PX100-II drivers fit like a glove although I'm not sure if its suppose to be snug or somewhat loose and held in place by tape?

I'll be using some donor cables from a hifiman custom cable. I'll just cut the ends and solder it to the drivers directly...any ideas on relief at the cups? Or maybe something inside the cup?

Right now i have Avio headbands but I'm thinking some Sony replacements might do the cups and build more justice.

So any thoughts on the sound?

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #320 of 754
My next senngrado's, different approach, no grado parts at all ; )

Acajou wood cups, CA mirror finish

Aluminium grills, painted black,

Headband made of leather and heat treated steel (bahco hacksaw)

You can see damping on drivers through the mesh ; )

Jack and splitter - same wood and finish as cups, cable - 7n copper

Carbon fiber rodblocks with polished black screws, and my first signature, unfortunately too much glue here, sorry ;c

Drivers again placed in wooden (rosewood) sleeves,

Photo album here:

http://imgur.com/a/vRdpv

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #321 of 754
  My next senngrado's, different approach, no grado parts at all ; )

Acajou wood cups, CA mirror finish

Aluminium grills, painted black,

Headband made of leather and heat treated steel (bahco hacksaw)

You can see damping on drivers through the mesh ; )

Jack and splitter - same wood and finish as cups, cable - 7n copper

Carbon fiber rodblocks with polished black screws, and my first signature, unfortunately too much glue here, sorry ;c

Drivers again placed in wooden (rosewood) sleeves,

Photo album here:

http://imgur.com/a/vRdpv

Nice.......what kind of stain did you use on that mahogany?

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #322 of 754
Here is my SennGrado build. 

Wood Cups from YewAudioWorks
Sennheiser PX100-ii drivers
EarZonk G-Cushion
Auvio Headband
Stock Grado 8 conductor cable

She sounds really good so far. Doesn't have the treble bite that some Grado headphones have. Still may be a bit for some, but they are okay to me.

Seems a little bit lacking in bass, but I did recess the drivers a bit. Mids are not as forward as Grado headphones, but still sound amazing. Again, probably because I recessed the drivers inside the cups quite a bit. I'll be trying to push them out some more tonight to see if that will help improve the sound.

The large earpads sound the best to me so far.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #323 of 754
  Here is my SennGrado build. 

Wood Cups from YewAudioWorks
Sennheiser PX100-ii drivers
EarZonk G-Cushion
Auvio Headband
Stock Grado 8 conductor cable

She sounds really good so far. Doesn't have the treble bite that some Grado headphones have. Still may be a bit for some, but they are okay to me.

Seems a little bit lacking in bass, but I did recess the drivers a bit. Mids are not as forward as Grado headphones, but still sound amazing. Again, probably because I recessed the drivers inside the cups quite a bit. I'll be trying to push them out some more tonight to see if that will help improve the sound.

The large earpads sound the best to me so far.

Very nice, I think you're right about the recessed driver. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #325 of 754
  Very nice, I think you're right about the recessed driver. 

Thanks! I'll be pushing the drivers up tonight to see if that would help a bit. 

Will probably glue the drivers in after I find the right distance. Should help with stability somewhat. 
  There is an audible difference between G and L cushion pads? I have the Ear Zone L-cush waiting for the build. (I am procrastinating my cable solder because of work, bachelor parties (not mine), birthdays, and the yard... lol

The G-cush are really comfortable, if nothing else. The L-cush make the sound more intimate, but it also brings the treble up front as well. However, I can't wear them for more than 3 hours at most.

I want to try quarter modded flats at some point as well. 

The problem with the Auvio headband is that it does not swivel horizontally, which makes it so that the earpads don't sit flat on your ear. The G-cush fixes this somewhat for me.

Hope this helps...

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #327 of 754
  Nice.......what kind of stain did you use on that mahogany?

Thanks, there is no stain, only cyanoacrylate, about 20-30 layers, polished up to 2000 grit

I am testing new  "non grado" drivers for a little time now, Blaupunkt Comfort Acoustica ones. Cheap (~7$ here) and really worth giving a shot. Sound signature similar to Grado prestige series, recessed subbass, great kick, suprisingly detailed and accurate, but a little harsh. Very fun, engaging sound. They're way better than any koss drivers in my opinion.

I've modded that drivers a bit by adding dynamat damping, opening magnet hole, and placing them in a cast aluminium shells - making them a direct replacement for grado drivers.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #329 of 754
  Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread already but has anyone tried custom spacers with the px-100 drivers in wood cups? Does that diminish the sound?

You mean like the MS1000 mod?

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I did previously have the drivers recessed in the cups. 

My impressions were not very favorable. It seemed to make the mids distant, and eliminate a lot of bass. 

With that said, it did not have the distancer holes or felt that are so vital to the MS1000 mod, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back