The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Nov 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #16 of 754
As an FYI, BH Photo has the Sennheiser PX100 II headphones available for under $42.00 a pair, with free economy shipping.  
redface.gif

Time for a StratoSennster ?

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 754
The old PX100 was a different beast, from what I've read.  While I have not heard the original PX100, I have read of others who have made the comparison between the two.  The newer "II" model apparently is quite a bit better.  In my case, I know I'm really enjoying them.  But, I can't just come out and say x beats y.  I can say that it is well worth the $42 and it's we worth trying, because it does perform quite well.  The KSC75 by Koss is a "lightweight" in comparison to the Sennehiser PX100 II drivers when it comes to sound comparison with the drivers mounted in wooden cups.

Plus, in the other thread on  the Grado Mods, I post the frequency graphs and the two (Grado - name your model, and the Senn PX100 II) had the same mid-range hump and the sound signature puts it into the mix where one could perform a fair comparison between the Grado drivers, the Magnum drivers and the Sennheiser drivers.

The BH Photo site will allow  you to add items to your shopping cart, but it will be down for about 17 more hours and then the on-line store will be back up.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #21 of 754
This one looks interesting: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobitone/25CE500-RO/?qs=pO9a3qNHhpHhpCGAHh60Sw%3d%3d
But 600 ohms!  =X

Edit: Or actual speakers, lol: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EAS-8P36S/P10178-ND/262592
(25-ohm, 95 SPL, 77mm)

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 754
  This one looks interesting: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobitone/25CE500-RO/?qs=pO9a3qNHhpHhpCGAHh60Sw%3d%3d
But 600 ohms!  =X

Edit: Or actual speakers, lol: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EAS-8P36S/P10178-ND/262592
(25-ohm, 95 SPL, 77mm)

I wonder why it states:

NRND: Not recommended for new designs

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #23 of 754

nice thing about getting older is, even when you buy stuff that doesn't sound great (to me), it still makes for a nice gift to younger folks who are used to Best Buy quality gear. like, my ladyfriend's daughter asked me to get her some pink Beats for upcoming birthday... ugh noo

In that case, you could opt for a modded pair of the Foxtex T50Rp headphones.  She'd have the best set of cans  
eek.gif
 (no pun intended) around.  I'm not sure how the Fostex would be for comfort on the neck if wearing them like that more than listening to them -- like most folks.  Plus, with the pink modded Fostex headphones, you might start a trend or a fad, or whatever the younger generation calls that sort of thing now.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #25 of 754
  I wonder why it states:

NRND: Not recommended for new designs

Because it's old.  That could even be a meaningless note.
The AD797 opamp is not recommended for newer designs either, but it is still used in modern audiophile equipment, perhaps even newer pro audio equipment as well for all I know.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #26 of 754
Good news: I found another source for the Sony MDR-7506 head bands for those who would like to build up another pair of headphones without having to squander the headband and gimbals from a pair of Grados.  The source?  The Sony Support center in North America.  Also, their prices almost knocked me out of the chair this morning.  About $9.00 for the headset and $2.50 for shipping.  Yes.  $11.50 total for the lil' beast shipped within the U.S.

Bad News: It looks like I bought the last one.  I wanted to order more, but they didn't have anymore stock and they ran searches against other warehouses, to no avail.  Plus, it wasn't apparent that more would be placed back into stock, so it's hard to tell if we'll see any more again or not from Sony.  Also, I did a check for the MDR-7502, which also fits the Grado cups, or custom wooden cups, and has been used by Chris Langely with success.  However, that was out of stock, and not sign of more to come in.  Finally, after digging a bit more, it looks like the older MDR-7504 has a band similar to the 7506 and is a replacement, too.  However, the MDR-7504 is a bit rare due to age as it looks to have been a product 12-15 years back.

I still think others who are looking for a lesser cost alternative for a headband and gimbals, should check with Sony Support if they are in other countries outside of the U.S.  When I called the support number, I listened to the menu options and chose the one for purchasing Sony accessories.  Here in the U.S., the number I used to call was: 239-768-7691, and was published on one of their Web sites.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 754
  Good news: I found another source for the Sony MDR-7506 head bands for those who would like to build up another pair of headphones without having to squander the headband and gimbals from a pair of Grados.  The source?  The Sony Support center in North America.  Also, their prices almost knocked me out of the chair this morning.  About $9.00 for the headset and $2.50 for shipping.  Yes.  $11.50 total for the lil' beast shipped within the U.S.

Bad News: It looks like I bought the last one.  I wanted to order more, but they didn't have anymore stock and they ran searches against other warehouses, to no avail.  Plus, it wasn't apparent that more would be placed back into stock, so it's hard to tell if we'll see any more again or not from Sony.  Also, I did a check for the MDR-7502, which also fits the Grado cups, or custom wooden cups, and has been used by Chris Langely with success.  However, that was out of stock, and not sign of more to come in.  Finally, after digging a bit more, it looks like the older MDR-7504 has a band similar to the 7506 and is a replacement, too.  However, the MDR-7504 is a bit rare due to age as it looks to have been a product 12-15 years back.

I still think others who are looking for a lesser cost alternative for a headband and gimbals, should check with Sony Support if they are in other countries outside of the U.S.  When I called the support number, I listened to the menu options and chose the one for purchasing Sony accessories.  Here in the U.S., the number I used to call was: 239-768-7691, and was published on one of their Web sites.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunate, but not surprising... there is little profit in supporting old models and they know it. :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #30 of 754
Would you buy woody cans for them to make PX1i?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, wood is the way to go.  This is a budget build ... with certain surprising results.  
wink.gif

I can understand that people are a bit leery when making the leap on a $42 pair of drivers (Sennheiser PX100 II).  But, I also think this thread is about experimentation too, and sharing the results with what has been achieved.  We're on the lookout for 40 - 45 mm drivers that will fit and when we locate them at the right time, we make the leap.  Hopefully, I'll scour the Web some more over the upcoming break and see what other alternatives might be out there.  However, in this hobby -- or this particular section of the hobby, it's always good to have one pair of your "reach for" headphones that stay constant or near constant, and are not in a state of flux like the "tweaker pair" of headphones where you mess with cables, cups, drivers, and headbands.  If doing all of this with only one pair in ownership, that would be manic.

Also, Not sure if I noted it before.  On the Koss KSC driver, I used some Dynamat on the rear of the driver casing.  First I applied too much, and it over dampened things.  Then, I reduced the amount down quite a bit - pea sized, and then it normalized a bit.  However, I might start adding smaller amounts back, and see what can be achieved.  Also, the rear plastic / vented dome on the driver might need a bit of Dremel work.  I'll start to carve off a bit of the back and see how the sound changes by venting it more.  I suspect then the Dynamat will be moved as something around the perimeter of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back