The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #436 of 516
@johnjen

I am 220 AC. Good idea about fuse. I may short it (cooper foil mod, seen it also as yggy mod around here...) and see if it's the reason of my sound issue. Thank you for advice.

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod/IMAG003.JPG

The problem with Cu Foil is that it will never stop oxidizing...eventually that circuit will fail....now pure Ag foil, though it might oxidize blue or red with your finger prints, it will never fail.........
Cu Oxide = Semi-conductor or insulator...Ag oxide still conducts fine!

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #437 of 516
All of the aftermarket audio grade fuses I've owned have had a noticeable direction to them (some more so than others) -- meaning orientation of the fuse while in the holder can affect sound quality.

I don't know if the same can be said for the stock Yggy fuse, but I suspect its worth trying out, at least before going the route of bypassing the safety of the fuse altogether...

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #438 of 516
Others on the thread claim they can hear a difference with something like the Audio Magic or Synergistic Research fuses...but hell some are as much as $225 each!! Yikes that seems a little stiff for a fuse...I'm all for sound improvement and they claim you can send them back if dissatisfied.... even like you say the sound changes with switching fuse ends......I guess all that matters is that if it sounds better to your ears...imagined or not....

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #439 of 516
@johnjen

I am 220 AC. Good idea about fuse. I may short it (cooper foil mod, seen it also as yggy mod around here...) and see if it's the reason of my sound issue. Thank you for advice.

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod/IMAG003.JPG
Keep in mind that with no effective fuse between the source of the ac mains power and the dac, there is a potential for a melt down of your dac, and potentially MUCH WORSE.
This is a risk, and it means there is NO WARRANTY to fall back upon should the unthinkable happen.

Some fully understand what these risks are, and are willing to take them, while others, not so much.
BUT THE RISKS REMAIN REGARDLESS.

Just be careful and aware that these sorts of modifications are completely Non-Standard and involve certain risks.

JJ

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #440 of 516
The whole subject of fuses and power cables and other related tweaks is highly subjective and situationally dependent.

Some folks have never heard any differences, others have defined, for themselves, that they are pure 100% snake oil, while still others do hear significant changes.
There is no single answer that covers everyone.

I'm one of the latter, and yeah some of the prices for tweako fuses can go WAY beyond silly and into the ridiculous zone.

I have written up my research about this subject and posted it here in the cookbook thread and it presents but one aspect to this subject, there are others of course.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #441 of 516
Yes, thank you all!
Sure I do understand all about.. and as inverted AC is sounds good to me, I just can go by this without any mod, no warranty issues and other dangerous circumstances.
The only idea to bypass fuss was purely scientific interest to nail the problem. Also it may sounds funny, but if AC inversion giving different sound in my case, and as mentioned in Live-Neutral direction (my preferred) somehow fusse placed at the neutral end.
Then just inverted fuse may me enough ). This i can try without any "bad" modification.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #442 of 516
I'm not sure whether the real meaning is being understood, or not.
I figure it has to do with translation error.

"but if AC inversion giving different sound in my case, and as mentioned in Live-Neutral direction (my preferred) somehow fusse placed at the neutral end.
Then just inverted fuse may me enough )."

Inverting the fuse is not a solution for the live-neutral reversal.
And while running in live-neutral mode the fuse can't protect the dac because it no longer 'sees' the power coming into the dac.
It only sees the ground connection, which has very little power running through it, so the fuse simply can't stop the power flow should the amp fail.

And unless you add another fuse to the now 'hot' neutral wire, there is no protection for the dac.

Additionally I would suggest that you talk to someone who knows about ac power and how it all works, and ask him about all of this, just so there are no surprises, especially disastrous ones.

JJ

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #443 of 516
And while running in live-neutral mode the fuse can't protect the dac because it no longer 'sees' the power coming into the dac.

this sound strange.. as you know we don't have any sign of the Live-Neutral in AC power plug.. means everyone have 50% chance to plug it correctly.. so I wander that so many devices not care about this.
see the plug.. get what i mean? I think both way is protected. Have to, otherwise no sense.

who can say where live and where neutral here?! without additional test nobody...

iceland-electricity-plug.jpg

to avoid confusion.... there is a difference in sound between this two possibility.
but in one case connection is correct L-L and N-N, in other is nor L-N and N-L.
And in my yggy this "not optimal" L-N and N-L sound better.

Untitled-1.jpg

Cumming back to sound impression topic, all who say to wait more to hear yggy best.. hell you where right!!! Areadey get this feelng that it's so nice tooday, that can't be better, and next day it's just next step up in quality. Unbelievable really... For me what is improving most is holography, sounstage representation and instruments separation. Never hear this before.. even hugo TT known to be good for this, but no way close to what yggy able to do.Loving it more and more... and i am just day 11..

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #444 of 516
Cumming back to sound impression topic, all who say to wait more to hear yggy best.. hell you where right!!! Areadey get this feelng that it's so nice tooday, that can't be better, and next day it's just next step up in quality. Unbelievable really... For me what is improving most is holography, sounstage representation and instruments separation. Never hear this before.. even hugo TT known to be good for this, but no way close to what yggy able to do.Loving it more and more... and i am just day 11..

When you get to the one month mark you'll understand what Yggy can do, and any further changes will be subtle refinements. Congrats on your new listening experience.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #445 of 516
this sound strange.. as you know we don't have any sign of the Live-Neutral in AC power plug.. means everyone have 50% chance to plug it correctly.. so I wander that so many devices not care about this.
see the plug.. get what i mean? I think both way is protected. Have to, otherwise no sense.

who can say where live and where neutral here?! without additional test nobody...

to avoid confusion.... there is a difference in sound between this two possibility.
but in one case connection is correct L-L and N-N, in other is nor L-N and N-L.
And in my yggy this "not optimal" L-N and N-L sound better.

Not knowing much about the power systems in Italy let alone Europe in general, those pics suggest you have balanced power.
Which means there is not single hot wire and a single neutral wire, but both are hot with 1/2 of the full 220vac in each wire.
This can explain the 'reversibility' of the plugs.
But what is curious is that there is a SQ difference just by reversing the plug.

I am running a similar 'balanced' power delivery setup myself with both the hot and neutral delivering 1/2 of the 120vac on each 'leg'.
I will experiment with reversing these 'legs' just to see if it makes any difference in my setup as well.

If it does, then there is more going on than I would have suspected and so more investigation is in order.

As for the Jggy dac improving as it 'settles in' after 1 week of continually being on, then waiting for a month etc…
I have noticed that in some cases it can take well over 1Khrs to 'fully' peak and stabilize, which translates to 40+ days and in some cases can take over 60 days of being constantly 'on'.
Much of this seems to be related to the resolution and setup of the rest of the system, in order to be able to hear these subtle and nuanced differences.

For me this is all part of the fun of discovery involved with our hobby.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #446 of 516
In Europe there is a single phase 220-240V household power. To save copper American households are powered by 240V (split-phase 120V legs coming from a single transformer), consisting of two hot wires and one neutral. The neutral wire goes to Earth at the breaker box, and the two hot wires go to various 120V outlets for low-power appliances. The high-power appliances like A/C, dryers, ovens, etc. take the full 240V from special outlets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_distribution

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #447 of 516
Yes, in Europe we do have Live (Phase) and Null (Neutral). I showed test screwdriver before. It will light only in one contact.
There is only one lead that HOT, the one that can hit you. But apperantly you can plug both directions and it's no problem.
Just sound different )) and yes, it very depend how resloving the rest of your system.
But when you hear it right, you can easly say if it sounds wrong after. When you know how it have to be.. this is funny.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #448 of 516
Any one use balanced output form yaggy?
Seem its too high output for my amp ( it's alredy too loud at 8 o'clock.. 9 is alredy uncomfortable. It's sad they go so high on line out stage this days (
My yggy is 4,22 RMS, while standard for line-out level was 0,7! Dont understand this trend, just overload system. Remember my comment about decreased bass. This is the case, when i switch to RCA unbalanced, all is good with bass, and i can increse volume peaty nicely. But with balanced volume increase is not leaner, mids start to go much forward while bass stay recessed. Sad, but seems i cant use balanced with bryston amp. Someone have any experience with attenuators? would help?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #449 of 516
Any one use balanced output form yaggy?
Seem its too high output for my amp ( it's alredy too loud at 8 o'clock.. 9 is alredy uncomfortable. It's sad they go so high on line out stage this days (
My yggy is 4,22 RMS, while standard for line-out level was 0,7! Dont understand this trend, just overload system. Remember my comment about decreased bass. This is the case, when i switch to RCA unbalanced, all is good with bass, and i can increse volume peaty nicely. But with balanced volume increase is not leaner, mids start to go much forward while bass stay recessed. Sad, but seems i cant use balanced with bryston amp. Someone have any experience with attenuators? would help?
Lots of people use Yggy's balanced outputs, and most if not all agree that the balanced output sounds better than the single ended, so something seems wrong with your setup. In my setup, Yggy's balanced output is +6dB louder than single-ended, i.e. double the voltage. My Yamaha A-S3000 has a -6dB attenuator switch for balanced input so is perfect to reduce the balanced input level to the same as my other single-ended inputs (2Vrms) so perhaps in-line -6dB XLR attenuators would work for your Bryston. You may even need stronger attenuators, e.g. -10dB, it depends on the input sensitivity of you Bryston. Another alternative would be to use XLR-to-RCA adaptor cables to send Yggy's balanced outputs to your Bryston single-ended inputs. I haven't tried this myself but other people have good results with this method.

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #450 of 516
@ToTo Man

thank you very much. I also prefer balanced connection to Bryston with all other dac i have. This is why i am upset know. Somehow Bryston is too sensetive (see tech data)
unfortunatally i cant adjust attenutation as in your amp, will look for XLR inline 10 -15dB attenuators solution. Hope it will not degrade SQ much This incompatibility made me sad (

upload_2019-3-25_11-37-41.png

upload_2019-3-25_10-39-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-25_11-37-13.png
    upload_2019-3-25_11-37-13.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back