The NEW Sansa Clip+
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 154

DarKu

Reviewer at Soundnews
I present to you the new Sandisk Sansa Clip+
SanDisk Debuts Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player – Offering Big Sound and Tons of Features in a Tiny, Stylish Package
and allready a good review on it, with video: SanDisk Sansa Clip (4GB, red) MP3 player reviews - CNET Reviews
I think i will get one as soon as it will be available in my country
biggrin.gif

It is basicaly the same Clip but with a microSDHC card slot, you can add 16Gb of memory to allready a 8Gb Clip, thats 24Gb of FLAC goodness
happy_face1.gif
in a [size=xx-small]tiny[/size] size
And they added the "browse by Folder" option which is best for me. Can't wait to get one!

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 154
Bought one at BBuy last night. The changes, while not great, do make it easier to use.

Using a right angle plug made it annoying for me to use the volume without always swinging the plug out of the way.

I often turned the player on or off without looking at it as it was under my shirt. The old switch was about 50/50 whether I actually turned it off. The new on should work better.

Finally, it now has replay gain, like the Fuze. This is great for shuffling songs. The ABI review said that adding replay gain came in with some former firmware update, but I never saw it on the old Clip.

My old silicone sleeve fits OK but the back, where the clip is, isn't quite right. I may cut it to fit better.

I may be in the minority, but I kinda liked the old clip. Time will tell if this clip holds as well. It certainly looks sleeker.

SQ-wise, all the same.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using a right angle plug made it annoying for me to use the volume without always swinging the plug out of the way.

That's the change I like the most - I find myself changing the volume fairly often at the gym. Also like the file/folder option too. Actually, with my use of this kind of player, I may not use a MicroSD card as I don't need that much capacity.

Jeff

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 154
It sounds just the same as the original Clip, at least as far as I can hear.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 154
ABI review: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Plus Review

Personally, I like the looks of the older Clip better. And the removable clip. The Clip+ will be good for any of you that have a crazy huge FLAC library, though.

Quote:

2GB of memory to allready a 1GB Clip, thats 3GB

That's what I read.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 154
I wonder if the Clip+ has the same pitch problem as the Clip. The Clip plays all 44.1 kHz sample-rate files about a fifth of a semitone flat, which is noticeably out-of-tune to my ear. The question of whether this has been fixed on the Clip+ has been asked (but not answered) on the Sandisk Clip+ forum.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 154
There is a bit of an issue with the Sansa firmware updater. It shows an update but the Clip + won't take it for some reason. I posted over at the Sansa forum and it looks like Sansa doesn't actually have the updater updated. This is likely because the actual release date isn't until 9/15. Patience, I guess.

p.s. I'm glad I don't have perfect pitch.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Clip+ will be good for any of you that have a crazy huge FLAC library, though.

Define "crazy huge." This player tops out at 24gb (8+16) right now. That's hardly "crazy huge" as flac libraries go...

...it's almost 2010 and even large capacity flash memory is relatively cheap. Expandable or not, why are we still getting 4gb and 8gb player releases? Shouldn't we expect and demand more...?

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 154
It sounds different than the old Clip actually:

"Sound Quality

Sound quality was the Clip 1’s forte, very straight forward and clean and one of my favorite in terms of sound quality. Comparing the original Clip to some of Cowon’s players it tended to be more analytical, more precise, less on the warm side. Not one being better than the other, but being more of a preference. The Clip+ has moved to a bit warmer signature closer to what you might find on the Cowon S9. In my opinion this is an improvement. Regardless to your preference you will find that the Clip Plus is one of the best sounding MP3 players on the market."

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 154
Glad to see that Sandisk is still whoopin apple's butt in price/performance and size/storage ratios. Only thing missing is a screen with more than three lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Clip plays all 44.1 kHz sample-rate files about a fifth of a semitone flat, which is noticeably out-of-tune to my ear.

Sounds fine to those of us without perfect pitch
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back