The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Dec 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #722 of 1,522
Ok guys it has been a long time coming but I will open up this little contest to you guys on this thread as well. Please read announcement.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/3510#post_8928605

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #723 of 1,522
Quote:
Ok guys it has been a long time coming but I will open up this little contest to you guys on this thread as well. Please read announcement.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/3510#post_8928605

Great, this just gives me one more reason to get some more beer before Christmas 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #724 of 1,522
First impression listen: Decent soundstage, a bit dark-sounding and waaaay too much bass. These headphones do EQ quite well (I've got the treble up about 6db and bass down 3db) and sound quite nice now. Definitely not as accurate as my RE0's, but they sound a bit fuller and have a greater soundstage. They can get a little flabby at higher volumes on some tracks which I attribute to the bass. I'll need to burn these in hard I guess to remove some of that bass without having to EQ it out. Wonder if the treble will brighten up as well?

EDIT: Burned em in for 100+ hours with pink noise. Treble opened up, so they aren't as dark. Still a bit bass heavy and mid-recessed but they definitely sound fun and are worth the 30 bucks I paid for em. Guess I'm just an RE0 fan at heart and I'll just look for something that sounds similar to it but with a bigger soundstage.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #725 of 1,522
I'm REALLY enjoying these so far! I have the AKG pads on, and I've been listening to them so much (also roughly 200 hour burn in). The mids could be a little more prominent and they could use more sub-bass, but other than that these are near perfect! (In my opinion of course)

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #726 of 1,522
I made a topic for myself, see: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639969/new-portable-headphones-around-40-bucks

But WayneNUMM did suggest me to ask my question right here to get some nice feedback, like you can see I made a list of headphones which I prefer including the JVC HA-S400, but i'm getting stuck right now, lol!

JVC HA-S160 - 19 euro

JVC HA-S400 - 37 euro
AKG K420 - 37 euro
AKG K430 - 36 euro
AKG K99 - 36.75 euro
Sennheiser PX100II 34 euro

Sennheiser HD202II 30 euro
Koss Portapro 36,50 euro
Audio-Technica ATH-WM55 35 euro

All prices are including shipment. 

I'm just wondering, which one do you think is the best? I probably going to use them in various conditions, I often travel by bus and that's very noisy, I don't like to hear others when I'm listening to music. I don't want to bother other people to. So I guess a closed one would be better? 

Music I mostly listen to is: hiphop/rapp, electro/house, top40/pop, some smooth jazz with nice vocals. I never listen to rock, metal, alternative or classic genres. 

Which one do you guys think is worth the money over the HA-S160 which is the cheapest, all the other ones are 2 times the price... 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #727 of 1,522
Quote:
Just been doing some quick A/Bing. The AT pleathers do sound better on the S500's than the S400's. I still prefer the K81's on the S500, but the preference is smaller than on my S400's. Using baroque chamber music and piano jazz with heavy percussion as reference. Piano and cymbals are great instruments for determining neutrality. If it's too bright, piano will sound artificial and cymbals will sizzle. If it's just right, you forget that you're supposed to be listening critically and get lost in the music. Here's my prefs:

1. S400/K81
2. S500/K81
3. S500/ATpleather
4. S400/ATpleather

Any other pad combos, and you're missing the magic IMO

For some reason I find myself preferring the stock pads over the K81's.  Am I the only one here that feels this way?

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #728 of 1,522
Quote:
For some reason I find myself preferring the stock pads over the K81's.  Am I the only one here that feels this way?

As I mentioned before, I'm back to the stock pads with dampening. This is definitely a more neutral signature. The AKG pads yield a more "fun" 'U' shaped presentation. Now that I'm used to the neutral response, I can't go back to the AKG's.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #729 of 1,522
Quote:
As I mentioned before, I'm back to the stock pads with dampening. This is definitely a more neutral signature. The AKG pads yield a more "fun" 'U' shaped presentation. Now that I'm used to the neutral response, I can't go back to the AKG's.

I'm glad that I am not the only one :)  Are you currently using the TP mod for dampening?

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #731 of 1,522
Phew !   ...you guys have just given me great relieve, for awhile there I thought I was the only weird one who enjoyed them stock paddings.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Thanks for extending this fun event to the S400 guys, should be fun to see who's whackier, the S500 or S400 users.

All S400 users (I know there tons of you guys out there!)   ...lets show our S500 brothers how good our headphones looks on us when we're PARTYING !!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #732 of 1,522
I decided to pick up a couple pairs of these since I was looking for an inexpensive heaphone to send to a couple people as "bait". Did anyone else notice a really stark difference in the sound after about two hours? Out of the box the bass on my pair sounded just terrible....bloated, boomy....not good. The tonality overall was quite nice, but I also noticed a veil. Now after two hours they sound like different headphones...sort of like they have come into focus. I haven't experienced this drastic of an improvement before. 

right now I'm just watching a gamer channel on justin.tv, and the imaging on these is pretty good, too...even just watching a stream of Call of Duty. 

I like the looks of them quite a bit, and for really cheap plastic they are pretty comfortable. Pretty damn good buy for $27!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #734 of 1,522
Quote:
I decided to pick up a couple pairs of these since I was looking for an inexpensive heaphone to send to a couple people as "bait". Did anyone else notice a really stark difference in the sound after about two hours? Out of the box the bass on my pair sounded just terrible....bloated, boomy....not good. The tonality overall was quite nice, but I also noticed a veil. Now after two hours they sound like different headphones...sort of like they have come into focus. I haven't experienced this drastic of an improvement before. 

right now I'm just watching a gamer channel on justin.tv, and the imaging on these is pretty good, too...even just watching a stream of Call of Duty. 

I like the looks of them quite a bit, and for really cheap plastic they are pretty comfortable. Pretty damn good buy for $27!

That was exactly how my S500s sounded on open box, but my S400s wasn't like that at all. But it makes sense that burn-in does wonders for these CNT drivers.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #735 of 1,522
Quote:

That was exactly how my S500s sounded on open box, but my S400s wasn't like that at all. But it makes sense that burn-in does wonders for these CNT drivers.

I've never been a believer in burn-in, but this really goes a long way toward changing my mind. Honestly, I sent three people an email of my first impressions after 30 min, and if I wrote the same emails again after 3 hrs, they would be significantly different. I didn't really see what all the fuss was about at first, but now I do. Very interesting headphones! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back