The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Dec 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,456 of 1,522
My HA-S500 have been great over the last 18 months. Unforunately over the last couple of days I am only getting sound out of one ear =( Had a quick look at the wires and look fine, so might be time to look at a replacement. Is there a new king with similar sound signature in this price range or should I order another S500?

I also own a ATH-M50x so something similar but slightly darker to this would be ideal. 

Same thing happened to me XD but now both ears went out. The right one went out first for me :/
its easy to open the cups, get a cheap RS soldering iron and just solder the wires back on to the driver, shouldn't take but 5 minutes tops.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,457 of 1,522

My HA-S500 have been great over the last 18 months. Unforunately over the last couple of days I am only getting sound out of one ear =( Had a quick look at the wires and look fine, so might be time to look at a replacement. Is there a new king with similar sound signature in this price range or should I order another S500?

I also own a ATH-M50x so something similar but slightly darker to this would be ideal. 

Same thing happened to me XD but now both ears went out. The right one went out first for me :/

its easy to open the cups, get a cheap RS soldering iron and just solder the wires back on to the driver, shouldn't take but 5 minutes tops.

Its not the driver wire I have already checked. Its the plug and the cord. I don't already trshed my old s500's with a rather sad ceremony. But I did order them again!

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,458 of 1,522
Its not the driver wire I have already checked. Its the plug and the cord. I don't already trshed my old s500's with a rather sad ceremony. But I did order them again!
Wait you did trash 'em? If not send 'em over here. :wink:

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,459 of 1,522

Wait you did trash 'em? If not send 'em over here.
wink.gif

I would gladly send them its just over the 3 years they have worked perfectly. But with time they do start to get that used feel. And they are HELLA used. Split cord, driver displacement, bent plug, ect ect. They did get some use. I actually left these out in the rain about a year ago and it froze that night. Thawed them out in the morning and they worked just fine! #JVCs500tank

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,460 of 1,522
I would gladly send them its just over the 3 years they have worked perfectly. But with time they do start to get that used feel. And they are HELLA used. Split cord, driver displacement, bent plug, ect ect. They did get some use. I actually left these out in the rain about a year ago and it froze that night. Thawed them out in the morning and they worked just fine! #JVCs500tank
Seems like a well loved pair of cans. :)

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,461 of 1,522

Seems like a well loved pair of cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Highly loved but as all teenagers are, very forgetful.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,462 of 1,522

after hearing all that i think ill buy a pair 
atsmile.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,463 of 1,522
I'm wondering if the intsode of the cups between the S500 and S400 is the same, does anyone know? I'm developing a knack for the S400 somehow but they're not as comfy.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,464 of 1,522
I'm wondering if the intsode of the cups between the S500 and S400 is the same, does anyone know? I'm developing a knack for the S400 somehow but they're not as comfy.

I feel like they are slightly thinner than the s500's. They also have a different pad material than the s500's and the coating on the s400's are a soft matte so idk if that makes a difference.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,465 of 1,522

after hearing all that i think ill buy a pair 
atsmile.gif

._. u hvnt bght a pair yt?????????

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,466 of 1,522
I feel like they are slightly thinner than the s500's. They also have a different pad material than the s500's and the coating on the s400's are a soft matte so idk if that makes a difference.
Hmm, if the S500 is thicker that'd explain the bigger bass and such, I think I'll just stick with the S500 or maybe try the swap and see the difference.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,467 of 1,522
Tonight I grabbed my s400 and gave them a listen after a very long break. Damn these are some amazing headphones. Hype over these has died but I still can't think of better sounding portable headphones for the price. Of course Mikros90 are awesome, but those are available only in usa and those are discontinued and the price is heavily discounted so those are a whole another thing... At the moment I'm listening to DX1000 and s400 sounds nothing like the flagship. RX700 has more similarities to DX1000. S400 however impresses with clarity which isn't what DX1000 are known for. Uppermidrange is somewhat shouty and with some bassy stuff bass gets loose but besides that I can't really fault S400...Awesome :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,468 of 1,522
I have been into lightweight headphones lately so I bought the S400. First thing first,I don't buy into what the packaging says. Crisp HD sound and carbon nanotubnes mean nothing until I hear what it sounds like. It sounded like I expected with rolled off treble and OK mids. Bass was far looser than I expected. To the point where I felt there was vibration and thus distortion. My source is a Fiio X1 and its sound signature is a little lean with bass. I was about to pack the S400 back up and return it when I decided to mod it by stabilizing the drivers by surrounding them with modeling clay. That did the trick.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,469 of 1,522
Confession time: I don't care for the has400 at all. The sound is extremely in-your-face and fatiguing with little to no imaging, weak sub bass response, and a slight off timbre synthetic sound to them.
I will admit they are fast and resolving for the money. However that same money gets you much better, more natural sounding iem.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,470 of 1,522
I have been into lightweight headphones lately so I bought the S400. First thing first,I don't buy into what the packaging says. Crisp HD sound and carbon nanotubnes mean nothing until I hear what it sounds like. It sounded like I expected with rolled off treble and OK mids. Bass was far looser than I expected. To the point where I felt there was vibration and thus distortion. My source is a Fiio X1 and its sound signature is a little lean with bass. I was about to pack the S400 back up and return it when I decided to mod it by stabilizing the drivers by surrounding them with modeling clay. That did the trick.

Yeah, I never cared for them at all until I did my mods. (beginning somewhere around p.61 here - that was so long ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back