The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Mar 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,021 of 1,522
It's an over the ears pad made for Brainwavz. MP4 Nation carries them and they sort of fit over the top of the stock pads. Better secured with some big 2 plus inch O rings. I'm sure someone can post a pic (or you can look back thru this thread...or I can post a pic later when I get home from work).

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,022 of 1,522
Quote:

Yes. I tried different amounts of polyfil and think I have found a good mix. It got a little tedious screwing and unscrewing. But I feel like I pushed the vocals a bit forward and tightened the bass response. I think I may even leave all the bass ports open... does open the phones up more but decreases bass a bit.

Would cotton work as well as polyfill?

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,024 of 1,522
Sorry for my bad english.
Mmmm,  are this kind of pad  sell in europe?    what advantage over akg dj 81/ 518? improve isolation? i see in previous post many mod, several become bigger and over ear i'm right?

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,025 of 1,522
They sell online from MP4 Nation. They are over the ear and yes they isolate much better. The only caveat is they aren't (obviously) made for this headphone and so they don't stay on well without putting a large O ring or something on them to hold them to the stock pads. Oh, and they are MUCH more comfortable for extended listening and IMO enhance the sound signature. They don't, however look as nice/cool with the HM5 pads.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #1,026 of 1,522
I've been enjoying my 518 pads but really intrigued by this hm5/oring/tissue mod I've been reading over on the 500 thread. Is mp4nation the only place to get the hm5 pads for cheap? Was searching on eBay and didn't get anything. Anyone know of anywhere else to get the hm5 pad?

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #1,028 of 1,522
I put my (out of commission) beloved RX700 pad over S400 and HOLY ****. It's like ******* magic, I can't stop laughing. 

I REALLY hope JVC make 50mm fullsize cans with this carbon nanotube driver, I'll buy it faster than they can put "for sale". 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,029 of 1,522
ordered mine over the s500 because ppl are saying that the mids are better.
lets hope im not disappointed!!

It is very "mid - centric" and combined with good detail, makes this can very alluring.
I sold my esw9 and was satisfied for a time with these.
You can say this is a poor man's esw9 in mids.

I put my (out of commission) beloved RX700 pad over S400 and HOLY ****. It's like ******* magic, I can't stop laughing. 

I REALLY hope JVC make 50mm fullsize cans with this carbon nanotube driver, I'll buy it faster than they can put "for sale". :D

Actually size does not play as great a factor as you would think.
The s500 is bigger yet does not have similar mids.
It has impressive bass with detail.

I have come back and fine tuned my s400 further with ws55 pads wich are slightly loose but compliment the sound.

I took off the taped bass ports as it does affect more than bass and I wanted to return to the magic in the mids and preserve it.
So I just dampened the cups and rear driver inside,
And only use a small amount of cotton to reduce any sound wave reflections.
This preserves the depth of the mids as well as clarifies and accentuates the details and treble.
You end up with a supercharged addictive s400.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,030 of 1,522
Quote:
Actually size does not play as great a factor as you would think.
The s500 is bigger yet does not have similar mids.
It has impressive bass with detail.

I have come back and fine tuned my s400 further with es10 pads wich are slightly loose but compliment the sound.

I took off the taped bass ports as it does affect more than bass and I wanted to return to the magic in the mids and preserve it.
So I just dampened the cups and rear driver inside,
And only use a small amount of cotton to reduce any sound wave reflections.
This preserves the depth of the mids as well as clarifies and accentuates the details and treble.
You end up with a supercharged addictive s400.

Actually it does to a degree, they just have to carefully tune it.

While S400 is great, the soundstage is nothing to write home about, I guess it's the limitation of the housing.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,032 of 1,522
Here is how ws55 pads look on s400

In the es700 thread a member said you can get them direct from Audio Technica for $6..!

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,033 of 1,522
I will try tonight to give proper impressions on the ws55 pads.
To me they would be the best hands down as they are also larger but not ugly for outside use.
The sound to me is exceptional.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,035 of 1,522

Users who are viewing this thread

Back