The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Oct 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7,248 of 9,165
Hey thanks for the heads up.
Now to find a retailer in oz so u can have a listen.

Check out tralucentaudio.com.au. Also, I'm in Melbourne so you're welcome to PM me and see if we can work out a time to meet up so you can listen to mine.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #7,249 of 9,165

Check out tralucentaudio.com.au. Also, I'm in Melbourne so you're welcome to PM me and see if we can work out a time to meet up so you can listen to mine.

Hey thanks,

I may very well take you up on that.
I am currently awaiting the status of an incident report with VLine at the moment.
Their bus leaked coolant all over my bag, so as it stands
iMod 4g
PortaTube
Vmod LP2's
Work Laptop
Work BlackBerry
are all toast.

Just glad I had my MadDogs and AK100 on me at the time rather than in my bag.

Had a heap of cables incl a Chord Company RCA-Mini cable etc as well, but hopefully that will clean up ok.

Not happy.

Scott

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #7,250 of 9,165

Hey thanks,

I may very well take you up on that.
I am currently awaiting the status of an incident report with VLine at the moment.
Their bus leaked coolant all over my bag, so as it stands
iMod 4g
PortaTube
Vmod LP2's
Work Laptop
Work BlackBerry
are all toast.

Just glad I had my MadDogs and AK100 on me at the time rather than in my bag.

Had a heap of cables incl a Chord Company RCA-Mini cable etc as well, but hopefully that will clean up ok.

Not happy.

Scott

Ouch. Sorry to hear. You might want to head over to the "Separation" thread 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683752/head-fi-gear-separation-support-thread where others will help to share the burden of your loss.

Drop me a line if you ever want to check out the T1. So far, nothing else I've tried comes close for the money (or even up to about $450 - I haven't tried any portables costing more than that)

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #7,251 of 9,165
Anyone knows a simple way to measure your IEMs FR chart through a DAP?
Interested in seeing how the chart looks like for 1964 Ears V6 through AK100.. :)

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #7,252 of 9,165
Just giving an update, I finally bought the AK100. Might be one of the rare ones who bought this (specifically the stock ones) in the stream of DX50 army of buyers. I just love the clarity and the presentation given by AK100
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #7,254 of 9,165
  Hi all,

Does anyone know what the bluetooth capabilities are for this device?

Can you stream to it? From it?

Why you would want to stream from a $700 DAP via bluetooth is beyond me, but being able to stream to it might have its uses from time to time.

Closest thing I have seen is I connected my phone to it and it went ring ring when I got a call, surely this isnt the only functionality of it.

Cheers

Scott

Yes you absolutely can stream from the device out to bluetooth speakers. I use it at work with a JAM speaker from Best Buy.

Steve from NYC

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #7,255 of 9,165
Just giving an update, I finally bought the AK100. Might be one of the rare ones who bought this (specifically the stock ones) in the stream of DX50 army of buyers. I just love the clarity and the presentation given by AK100 :) .

Not rare at all. I actually bought the ak100 to replace my dx100 fully knowing the sq suffers. The ak100 is just much more refined and useable in its form and UI and I was willing the sacrifice some SQ for the it. While dx50 improved on size and UI it doesn't have the dx100 sq.

I might not have picked the dx50 over the ak100 had I have access to reliable but cheaper OI mod like the Russians. I am willing to pay double that of dx50 for the smaller and better built unit plus usb DAC and UI features. But the ak100's 22ohm is just handicapping it too much. With the RWAK or mk2 price though the gap became too big for me to justify over a dx50 at $239.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #7,256 of 9,165
Me too, I went for the stock AK100. Almost tempted to get the Mk2 version, but decided to save up on the $300.
Though I did get an awesome deal of $530 for a new AK100 :)

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #7,258 of 9,165
Is it not rare? Well from the forum post count at head-fi the DX50 is really the hot topic now so I guess it's fair that I conclude that people are moving their interest from AK100
biggrin.gif

Anyways, the reason I chose the AK100 was due to many things.

- The sound of course, with my buds it had bigger soundstage and much better instrumental positioning. No problems with bass response due to high OI. White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" bass at an early stage of song really hits at the right punch without sounding to be overbearing. The DX50 have more of a fun factor in them, but does not compete in clarity. Remember this is my opinion only.

- The sensitivity of DX50 for me is often irritating, while I was navigating through scrolling I will almost click on an album that I do not desire (which is an issue already voiced at other thread). The response of AK100 is actually slower but the sensitivity was good.

- The UI is good compared to DX50, hope to have a customizable themes though...

- Paired with the leather case, the AK100 is really amazing aesthetically. The small form factor is really great and I'm getting the feel of the volume wheel also. Just tried pairing the BT with phone and worked flawlessly.

Anyways, just take it as a pinch of salt coming from a relatively new guy here.
Now, I can start hunting IEMs for future purposes
etysmile.gif

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #7,259 of 9,165
hey, someone please tell iBasso to produce new cheaper competitor for AK120 so i can see the price of the latter dropping?:)

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7,260 of 9,165
my USB DAC function doesn't seem to be working properly... drivers are installed in the laptop, but no sound comes out =/
anyone had the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back