The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Sep 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #7,216 of 9,165

OK. This is quite interesting. I wanted RWAK100 because of portability, not SQ. I always thought AK100+Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII will be better than RWAK100. If that's wrong, RWAK100 is a definitely a great mod.

I can't comment on the pairing with the UHA-6S, but as much as I love the Tralucent T1, I personally choose to use the RWAK100 without the T1 because I would need to spend a further $200 on an interconnect to even come close to the transparency achieved straight from the RWAK100. This is with the UM Miracles where power is not a concern, but resolution and cleanliness of signal is.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #7,217 of 9,165

Thanks for the in depth description.
I think it currently sounds fantastic (AK100) with the Mad Dogs in its own right.
If it had ever so slightly more volume I would not use an amp at all.

It is so close that I am actually debating whether or not to offload my amp entirely and just pocket the money/put it towards the RWAK100 upgrade.

I'm not sure how the Mad Dogs would perform with an un-amped RWAK100 due to their relatively low sensitivity. The RWAK100 is awesome with sensitive phones, but you might find you still need an amp with the Mad Dogs even after the mod. Perhaps someone else can provide more insight on this one...

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #7,221 of 9,165

Kind of. If you can find one, yes. It's not too hard to open a AK100. Look at my signature(AK100 22ohm DIY). I've posted on how to open a AK100.

I've opened my AK100, but couldn't tell if the battery was hard-wired (or soldered) to the board or if it used a connector. Can you clarify, kimvictor?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #7,223 of 9,165

I would like to know too!

I've opened my AK100, but couldn't tell if the battery was hard-wired (or soldered) to the board or if it used a connector. Can you clarify, kimvictor?

I am not certain myself. I said it is possible because there are modders in Korea that will replace the battery for $10. I fear they might be hard wired. Ask Nukeshock about it. He opened his AK100 and did the 22ohm mod himself.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #7,227 of 9,165

Thanks for the in depth description.
I think it currently sounds fantastic (AK100) with the Mad Dogs in its own right.
If it had ever so slightly more volume I would not use an amp at all.

It is so close that I am actually debating whether or not to offload my amp entirely and just pocket the money/put it towards the RWAK100 upgrade.

Hi Wyd4,

The Fostex T50RP is 50-ohm.  So by lowering the output impedance of the AK100 from 22-ohm to < 1-ohm, you WILL get more volume and it will be noticeable.  Not
a HUGE amount more volume, but it will definitely be that "ever so slightly more" that you are looking for.

The 22-ohm OI causes a voltage divider with the 50-ohm load of the headphones.  For example, say the output voltage from the output stage is 1Vrms.  What gets to the headphone
drivers (if we disregard the slight added resistance of the headphone cable) is:  [1Vrms]*[50/(50+22)] = 0.69Vrms.    So you are losing 30% of the max output voltage (or 3dB loss, which
is pretty obvious) due to the resistors.  

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #7,228 of 9,165

Hi Wyd4,

The Fostex T50RP is 50-ohm.  So by lowering the output impedance of the AK100 from 22-ohm to < 1-ohm, you WILL get more volume and it will be noticeable.  Not
a HUGE amount more volume, but it will definitely be that "ever so slightly more" that you are looking for.

The 22-ohm OI causes a voltage divider with the 50-ohm load of the headphones.  For example, say the output voltage from the output stage is 1Vrms.  What gets to the headphone
drivers (if we disregard the slight added resistance of the headphone cable) is:  [1Vrms]*[50/(50+22)] = 0.69Vrms.    So you are losing 30% of the max output voltage (or 3dB loss, which
is pretty obvious) due to the resistors.  

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

You have PM :)

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #7,229 of 9,165
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the bluetooth capabilities are for this device?

Can you stream to it? From it?

Why you would want to stream from a $700 DAP via bluetooth is beyond me, but being able to stream to it might have its uses from time to time.

Closest thing I have seen is I connected my phone to it and it went ring ring when I got a call, surely this isnt the only functionality of it.

Cheers

Scott

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #7,230 of 9,165
  Hi all,

Does anyone know what the bluetooth capabilities are for this device?

Can you stream to it? From it?

Why you would want to stream from a $700 DAP via bluetooth is beyond me, but being able to stream to it might have its uses from time to time.

Closest thing I have seen is I connected my phone to it and it went ring ring when I got a call, surely this isnt the only functionality of it.

Cheers

Scott

I didn't know you could pair it with a phone to hear it ring - that's brilliant! 
tongue_smile.gif

I have paired it to my fiancee's car so when I'm in her car I can take my music without fiddling with cables. I use an interconnect in my car though.

Only uses I knew about were streaming audio from the AK to car / bluetooth headphones, etc. Agree it's a bit of a waste coming from such a great player, but sometimes convenience is more valuable than SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back