The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Sep 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #7,191 of 9,165
Hey guys, been wondering in acquiring these lately but it seems the interest on the stock AK100 have died down.
I can only purchase the stock without any access of upgrading it to RWAK. Now the question is whether this DAP is still be able to be recommended for me seeing thatI usually use an earbud but not closing a chance to try an IEM in the future(although very slim chance since I usually get irritated with how IEMs inserts in your ears deeply). I've heard the Ibasso DX50 is better with IEMs but the size of it won't be suitable to my needs although not out of context totally.

I can get this for about $550-$600 new and one of the factors for me is size and I try to avoid any stacking with amps, simply put I just want to plug in to the DAP.

All inputs are welcome, thanks guys.

If there's no chance of adding an amp or modding then it just means choosing your future IEMs and headphones carefully by sticking with higher impedance phones and IEMs with flat impedance curves.

The X3 might be a more versatìle alternative, but it doesn't match the AK100's sound or build quality.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #7,192 of 9,165
Go with the DX50, it's no bigger than an iPod Video...how small are you looking for? I have a DX100, RWAK100, and a DX50. All three are great DAP's.

Steve from NYC

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #7,194 of 9,165
Not to post off topic but has anyone found any great screen protectors for the AK100? I bought mine second hand and only has the protector that came with it. The protector has some scratches and I was thinking of replacing it but can't seem to find any online in the US.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #7,195 of 9,165
Not to post off topic but has anyone found any great screen protectors for the AK100? I bought mine second hand and only has the protector that came with it. The protector has some scratches and I was thinking of replacing it but can't seem to find any online in the US.

If all else fails you could cut down a phone one.
If you were nearby you could jus have mine, alas I am in australia

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #7,200 of 9,165
Pretty sure it comes with 2 of them. But getting mine second hand I only got what was on the player.

Nope.  It comes only with 1 for the front and 1 for the back.  Both are already applied onto the front/back of the unit and all the owner need to do is to peel off the upper film layer of the protectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back