The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Aug 7, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #6,856 of 9,165
Quote:
I had someone send me a 24 bit ALAC file that plays as 24 bit on my AK.
Let me know if you would like me to send you the file.
I was converting from FLAC to ALAC with MAX and I think this had something to do with the problem.
I think something happens when converting to ALAC that makes it show up as 16 bit on the AK.
I have just been using FLAC now and I don't have any problems. I keep ALACs separately for iTunes. 

BTW, does anyone know how to split a FLAC file on a mac with a cue sheet without converting it? The only programs I know that can split FLACs require you to also convert them....

I am not sure if the ALAC-file-(displaying?)-problem is connected to the conversion of files to ALAC. The file I had problems with was downloaded from Highresaudio.com as an ALAC-file and was displayed on my AK100 as 16/96. Under Audirvana plus the same ALAC-file was displayed as 24/96 and after conversion to FLAC (with XLD) the AK100 also displayed it as 24/96, the format guaranteed by HRA. Thus, it may be just a displaying problem with the Iriver-FW showing a bit-depth of 16bit of ALAC-files which actually have a bit-depth of 24bit. Perhaps Iriver can look after the problem.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #6,857 of 9,165
Hey guys, 

I have a problem. My RWAK100 won't turn on. 

Even when plugged into the PC it won't come on at all. It "was" working last night without a problem.

I tried holding the power button and the UP arrow on the left side together for over 10 seconds and nothing happened...

Is there a trick to this...or technique that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #6,858 of 9,165
I currently have a RWAK100 on loan from a Head-Fi user to test out and I've been A/Bing with my iMod/Pico Slim combo. It's very very close, but I think the RWAK100 is slightly better. The headstage is very similar, but I think the RWAK100 edges the iMod on instrument separation and bass quantity and quality. The iMod is slightly more forward with vocals, although the RWAK100 seems to be a bit more detailed. The treble presentation is also similar, but there's a bit more sparkle with the RWAK100. The iMod is smoother, with more of a midrange emphasis. I suppose you could say that the RWAK100 is the more exciting player while the iMod combo is smoother and plays it safe. Two different approaches. Both of these are better than my Audioquest Dragonfly. I do like that the RWAK100 could replace both the Dragonfly and the iMod. Does anyone know if the RWAK100 uses battery in USB DAC mode?

I'm really on the fence about buying the RWAK100 -- it's a better device than my current combo and smaller, but the interface is still a bit lacking. I'm very integrated in the Apple system (MacBook, iPhone, iMod) and I'm hesitant to switch. Is the RWAK100 very sensitive to album art to other people too? About half of my album art shows up, which is a point of annoyance for me. Of course, a counterpoint is that the iMod takes forever to scroll through songs, which the RWAK100 is much much better at. Decisions, decisions.

If anyone has any more questions about this comparison, feel free to ask away!

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #6,859 of 9,165
Hey guys, 

I have a problem. My RWAK100 won't turn on. 

Even when plugged into the PC it won't come on at all. It "was" working last night without a problem.

I tried holding the power button and the UP arrow on the left side together for over 10 seconds and nothing happened...

Is there a trick to this...or technique that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seems like what I have encountered a few weeks ago.

Try leaving it to charge for a few hours and then starting it again. I thought mine was charged after I left it plugged in overnight but the battery was empty.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #6,860 of 9,165
My play/pause button doesn't work anymore... It started to be less sensitive for a day or two then it's back to normal then the next day it stop functioning... Have been weeks... Forward n backwards button works fine though...

Any idea what went wrong??

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #6,861 of 9,165
Quote:
I currently have a RWAK100 on loan from a Head-Fi user to test out and I've been A/Bing with my iMod/Pico Slim combo. It's very very close, but I think the RWAK100 is slightly better. The headstage is very similar, but I think the RWAK100 edges the iMod on instrument separation and bass quantity and quality. The iMod is slightly more forward with vocals, although the RWAK100 seems to be a bit more detailed. The treble presentation is also similar, but there's a bit more sparkle with the RWAK100. The iMod is smoother, with more of a midrange emphasis. I suppose you could say that the RWAK100 is the more exciting player while the iMod combo is smoother and plays it safe. Two different approaches. Both of these are better than my Audioquest Dragonfly. I do like that the RWAK100 could replace both the Dragonfly and the iMod. Does anyone know if the RWAK100 uses battery in USB DAC mode?

I'm really on the fence about buying the RWAK100 -- it's a better device than my current combo and smaller, but the interface is still a bit lacking. I'm very integrated in the Apple system (MacBook, iPhone, iMod) and I'm hesitant to switch. Is the RWAK100 very sensitive to album art to other people too? About half of my album art shows up, which is a point of annoyance for me. Of course, a counterpoint is that the iMod takes forever to scroll through songs, which the RWAK100 is much much better at. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for sharing your comparisons and honest opinions. Although YMMV, most of the elite head-fier's would easily conclude the RWAK1** is a slam dunk and destroys the imod because the imod is too old and too cheap to compete.  OK I am just kidding.
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #6,862 of 9,165
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your comparisons and honest opinions. Although YMMV, most of the elite head-fier's would easily conclude the RWAK1** is a slam dunk and destroys the imod because the imod is too old and too cheap to compete.  OK I am just kidding.
wink_face.gif

I also don't really have an HD tracks, so that's a feature of the RWAK100 that I wouldn't use. I don't have the best ears and I think that 320kbps mp3 and FLAC sound the same. I know that some people can hear the difference, but I personally cannot, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But, the iMod is really unmatched in terms of usability.

I am really annoyed at how arbitrary the cover art appearance is on the RWAK100 though. That's the one feature that bugs me the most; if not for that, I think I would definitely go for the RWAK100. Does anyone know exactly what "rules" let the cover art show up?

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #6,864 of 9,165
I have had the same problem with cover art in itunes ripped alac files - hit or miss as to showing up in the AK100 display.  I believe there was a comment some pages back on this thread that if the art work was less than 500x500, it would show - something about the AK100 limitation. I have changed the artwork for albums that did not show to something less than 500x500 and they now show.  Easy fix.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #6,865 of 9,165
I'll try charging the thing overnight and see if it turns on. Windows doesn't recognize the device when plugged in so I can't update the firmwear....arggg..

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #6,866 of 9,165

I had the RWAK100 and, like you, am very integrated with itunes and Apple devices. Ultimately, the AK100 software’s issues with playlists (and no gapless playback at the time) was poor enough that I had to sell it. But, man, I liked the sound. Also really liked the fine volume control

As for album art, a lot of albums in itunes do not have the art embedded in the mp3 or mp4 or ALAC file. it’s an external file referenced by the itunes database. (saves on file sizes). But you’ll need to get an applescript file to automatically embed these album art files into the music files and they’ll show up in the RWAK100 (or you can do it manually with the “get info” panels if you got the time). Any songs that still don’t show artwork after this operation might need to have the file size or dimensions of the artwork modified and re-embedded.

Nowadays I’m just using a fostex HP-P1 with an iphone (for use at work) and am digging it but there are times I’d like to have the RWAK100 for purely portable use. But I just deal with the iphone by itself when on the move - sound is “good enough” when mixed with background traffic, engine, wind noises, etc.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #6,867 of 9,165
Quote:
I'll try charging the thing overnight and see if it turns on. Windows doesn't recognize the device when plugged in so I can't update the firmwear....arggg..

You should contact Vinnie I suppose. Chris had the same issue on the unit I sold him so this wouldn't be the first time. But he somehow got it to come back to life.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #6,868 of 9,165
Yeah, I'm sending it back to Vinnie tomorrow.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #6,870 of 9,165
Quote:
I had the RWAK100 and, like you, am very integrated with itunes and Apple devices. Ultimately, the AK100 software’s issues with playlists (and no gapless playback at the time) was poor enough that I had to sell it. But, man, I liked the sound. Also really liked the fine volume control

As for album art, a lot of albums in itunes do not have the art embedded in the mp3 or mp4 or ALAC file. it’s an external file referenced by the itunes database. (saves on file sizes). But you’ll need to get an applescript file to automatically embed these album art files into the music files and they’ll show up in the RWAK100 (or you can do it manually with the “get info” panels if you got the time). Any songs that still don’t show artwork after this operation might need to have the file size or dimensions of the artwork modified and re-embedded.

Nowadays I’m just using a fostex HP-P1 with an iphone (for use at work) and am digging it but there are times I’d like to have the RWAK100 for purely portable use. But I just deal with the iphone by itself when on the move - sound is “good enough” when mixed with background traffic, engine, wind noises, etc.

The artwork is actually tagged; I manually tag everything, so they are in the files. I think it's just that the AK100 is really picky on the file type and size of the artwork. I read about it earlier in the thread, not sure if iRiver plans on updating the firmware to make that easier. Probably not, I'd be willing to guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back