The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,951 of 9,165
Quote:
P.S., FYI: Haven't posted much in a while, work and life in general keeps me busy these day. But in earlier posts I had a heck of a time getting the AK100 database to work with even a fraction of the songs I have on my mSD cards. Upgrading to 1.33 fixed all that, in light of that turned out that all the other futzing around, clearing the settings, rebuilding the Db was pointless. Lesson learned. Still so many bugs & missing features in the firmware (some from all the way back), but now that the AK120 is out, I can only hope that maybe at least they roll some of these updates (gapless playback...) into an AK100 update instead of dropping it completely...

I must admit, I'm disapointed to discover a new problem. Since I went over 2000 tracks yesterday, my database seems to now be having problems cataloging properly and has started chucking a lot of my music into an unknown artist folder. I can only access those albums (about 30 of them I think) properly via folder view. Those same albums will not show any album art either, despite the fact some of them were displaying it fine previously. Latest firmware. 1.33.

Very annoying 
mad.gif

JKMoon, can you shed any light on this little issue?

May 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,952 of 9,165
For me, the "unknown artist" issue has usually been linked to tagging issues, whether the tags themselves or the AK100's interpretation (or lack thereof)...

You could test it, to narrow things down, by dumping just those tracks on a separate card. Or simply rebuild the database from scratch, for your current set and/or the one limited to the troublesome albums.

May 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,953 of 9,165
Quote:
For me, the "unknown artist" issue has usually been linked to tagging issues, whether the tags themselves or the AK100's interpretation (or lack thereof)...

You could test it, to narrow things down, by dumping just those tracks on a separate card. Or simply rebuild the database from scratch, for your current set and/or the one limited to the troublesome albums.

The odd thing is, most of these were albums that were displaying fine until I went over the 2k mark. At that point the new albums I was adding as well as a load that had been working fine, now refuse to play nice. I have tried re-scanning but the same thing occurs each time

Peculiar!

May 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,954 of 9,165
Did you try a clean scan, i.e. by deleting ak100syncDB.db3 & albumart.dat (or similar), or at least move them off the internal drive, then reboot, then rescan?

May 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,955 of 9,165
Didn't Astell & Kern and Heir Audio announce a partnership of some sort a month or two ago?  I thought they were packaging those two together...

yes, you right on this.

May 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,956 of 9,165
Quote:
Did you try a clean scan, i.e. by deleting ak100syncDB.db3 & albumart.dat (or similar), or at least move them off the internal drive, then reboot, then rescan?

Ok, I fixed it. It turns out the problem was being caused by one of the external cards being over full. It only had 20mb of space on it. I cleared and extra 100mb, re-scanned and everything was back to normal.

Very strange how that caused 50 out of 80 albums on that card to not display properly

May 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,958 of 9,165
Quote:
I found another bug, quite silly. You cannot have an album named "album". I had one and it would not read it unless I browse by file.

lol, now that one is daft

May 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #4,959 of 9,165
I have a question with regards to the Frequency rates the AK100 can work with - A post at the beginning of this thread (probably 5th or 6th page) states that the AK100 will work with 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz (16/24bit) files. What happens of you have files outside of this parameter for instance 24/88.4.?

Do you get an error or does the AK100 down sample / upsample?

May 17, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #4,963 of 9,165
Quote:
Wow, that is saying something! I will be scaring the postman running towards him for a couple of days now....

Before my comments gets taken overboard, I just have to clear up that it gave me a quite high reference point when I listened to those speakers in terms of the replicating the tone, timbre, and general feel of vocals. Instead of feeling wowwed by those speakers it very much dampens their awesomeness (well, they are really great and I wish I could carry home that all TAD set which will set me back about two kidneys, one lung, and one heart) . The speakers still have the edge when it comes to replicating ochestral and instrumental pieces as they have the imaging, ability to accurately portrait the sound of instruments (I find it easier to differentiate between different stringed and wind instruments in an ochestral piece), and soudstage in addition to the fact that you feel the concert is in front of you and not in your head.

May 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,964 of 9,165
I have two 64Gb SanDisk Micro SDXC cards for my AK100 (when it arrives)....

Am I right in thinking these need formatting to FAT32 to work in the AK100?

Cheers
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back